• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 CWC

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah if you can forget the fact that the WC 2019 is to be held in England, its not relevant at all.
And Monk's point was that despite poor recent form in the country, Australia tend to play much better at World Cup's.

This is a weird argument.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah if you can forget the fact that the WC 2019 is to be held in England, its not relevant at all.
Is it in June? I hope so! It never rains in June, it's that month where England turns into rainbows and clear skies and you don't want to die.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
And Monk's point was that despite poor recent form in the country, Australia tend to play much better at World Cup's.

This is a weird argument.
Agreed this is a weird argument......not that it is even an argument tbh.

Look, to clarify, when Monk made what was I'm sure a tongue in cheek comment about Aus eating WC's for breakfast, my response was intended to indicate that they might just go hungry in 2019 as their record in Eng over the last decade has not been stella. Yes he was quite right that Australia's record in WC's is ridiculous, and yes Steve Waughs team of atg's won it in England in 1999 the last time the comp was held there...........does any of this mean they are walk up favourites for 2019? Not a ****ing chance.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Moeen since the last wc. 462 runs @ 21 @ 102.89 sr, 26 wickets @ 57.30, 5.24 econ

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

It's not good. Ok he's batting 7 so he's not going to have a great average. My problem with his batting is he can't play low risk cricket if it's required. The Pakistan game for instance when you need him to accumulate a solid 40 or 50 to rebuild the innings and he just hacks one to deep mid wicket. His bowling these days is just a defensive thing. It's fine (maybe even good) as a 6th option on a flat wicket, but when you need some wickets or playing on a more favourable wicket he doesn't offer anything.

With all that being said I don't know if there is anyone better to do that specific role. Maybe they should consider replacing him, or slightly changing tactics/ batting order.

Possibly a run outside the team to let him think about his cricket might be good, and give an opportunity to Dawson, Livingstone, or someone else. Or move Woakes to 7.
Is Moeen's RPO that bad considering the scores that England have been making since the WC - they've generally been very high scoring games. And with Rashid taking the wicket-taking duties over that time, it's not disastrous.

I know what you mean about the batting, but seven is a difficult spot. Think the fact that teams bounce him straight away and he doesn't ever control the hook/pull makes him vulnerable to soft outs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is anyone expecting any debutants selected for Australia between now and the World Cup? If so, who?Daniel Hughes and Darcy Short could be bolters maybe. Also any estalished guys likely to be dropped?

SeamUp

International Coach
What I am going to find interesting is how Gibson phases out bowlers from the ODI line-up to make way for 2/3-in-1 cricketers.

Burgey

Is anyone expecting any debutants selected for Australia between now and the World Cup? If so, who?Daniel Hughes and Darcy Short could be bolters maybe. Also any estalished guys likely to be dropped?
#Bertmentum

Burgey

Could be a hilarious WC tbh. Maybe an eight way drawn series. England can’t win a WC; India and Australia play badly in England; SA choke; Bangladesh aren’t up to it; WI won’t field a team due to player disputes; NZ haven’t got the team at this stage and there’s more money in Pakistan rolling over.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Could be a hilarious WC tbh. Maybe an eight way drawn series. England can’t win a WC; India and Australia play badly in England; SA choke; Bangladesh aren’t up to it; WI won’t field a team due to player disputes; NZ haven’t got the team at this stage and there’s more money in Pakistan rolling over.
India have the best one day record in England in the last decade, they are better than England.

Team records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Burgey

But thank you for undoing my obviously carefully researched and very serious post.

SeamUp

International Coach
Do you have examples of the type of players you mean?
There is a hint that Gibson wants the batting line-up to be deep just like England's ODI team. He is on the hunt for dual-cricketers.

Phehlukwayo, Morris, Pretorius have been used. Frylinck and Mulder debuted vs Bangladesh.

I don't think Steyn and M.Morkel will make the WC squad for this reason.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There is a hint that Gibson wants the batting line-up to be deep just like England's ODI team. He is on the hunt for dual-cricketers.

Phehlukwayo, Morris, Pretorius have been used. Frylinck and Mulder debuted vs Bangladesh.

I don't think Steyn and M.Morkel will make the WC squad for this reason.
I think Morkel could.. but probably not Steyn. I Ngidi is almost a guarantee if he continues bowling half decently.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think Morkel could.. but probably not Steyn. I Ngidi is almost a guarantee if he continues bowling half decently.
Maybe. I think Tahir at 11 with Rabada 10 is what they looking for. But who knows how Tahir holds up over the next 18 months. Luckily Shamsi is in fine-form and Mahraj fits the dual-cricketer thing if need be.