Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Ponting calls Lara selfish

Ricky Ponting calls Lara selfish

At the risk of starting yet another "Slag off the Aussies" festival:

Lara's Record Selfish: Ponting

My opinion is that Ponting should keep his trap shut. While it's true that Lara's record came at the cost of a good chance of winning the match, The best thing for West Indies cricket to be achieved out of that match was to avoid a series defeat and restore some pride in West Indies cricket. Brian Lara achieved this and then some.

Ricky Ponting should realise that whilst this is not the current Australian style of play, it isn't neccessarily selfish or wrong.

International Debutant
    No he did nothing wrong since when has stating an opinion been souch a crime. I do it every day.

Wether he is right or not I wont make a judgment on that one.

If he is asked to make a comment then he will big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyr
    At the risk of starting yet another "Slag off the Aussies" festival:

Lara's Record Selfish: Ponting

My opinion is that Ponting should keep his trap shut. While it's true that Lara's record came at the cost of a good chance of winning the match, The best thing for West Indies cricket to be achieved out of that match was to avoid a series defeat and restore some pride in West Indies cricket. Brian Lara achieved this and then some.

Ricky Ponting should realise that whilst this is not the current Australian style of play, it isn't neccessarily selfish or wrong.
    He cites the Hayden 380 example as an "exception" to that team-first Australian rule. Well I guess Australians take advantage of undermanned, infeior competition playing far away from home, whereas at least Lara destroyed a full-strength English attack which had been bowling his team out for two figures in the past three tests.
    Head of Public Relations for the Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society (AAAS)

My duties include explaining why he is so good when he does something good and making excuses for him when he does something bad. I also provide Thums Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse
    No he did nothing wrong since when has stating an opinion been souch a crime. I do it every day.

Wether he is right or not I wont make a judgment on that one.

If he is asked to make a comment then he will big deal.
    He didn't do anything wrong, no one's saying arrest him. The point of the thread is to mock him for saying something dumb.

Cricket Spectator
    Well quite frankly I'm sleeping better at night now I the knowledge that the record has been scored against creditable opposition.

It really makes me cringe to think what quality players of the past (do I have to mention ANY names???) would have done against the likes of Bangladesh & the current Zimbabwe (which BTW if thing are going the way they are, should lose Test status IMO).

It'll give me nightmares when the likes of Kenya and some others get Test status also.
    If you don't swing the bat, you don't hit a homerun.

razenfrazen@hotmail.com

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Lions81
    He didn't do anything wrong, no one's saying arrest him. The point of the thread is to mock him for saying something dumb.
    Thats bull he spoke his mind and anyone can see that.

I cant think of any reason to call what he said dumb it's certainly not going to hurt anyone.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I find it strange that Ponting excuses Hayden's 380 as an 'exception' whereas Lara's 400* is given no such concession. In any case, a world record will do infinitely more for the West Indies' morale than a consolation win in a dead rubber.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamc
    I find it strange that Ponting excuses Hayden's 380 as an 'exception' whereas Lara's 400* is given no such concession. In any case, a world record will do infinitely more for the West Indies' morale than a consolation win in a dead rubber.
    Well Australia were scoring at like 5.6 an over so barring the threat of rain hayden would probably have had time to rack up 450* without jepodising Australia's chance of victory to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamc
    Excuses?

I wouldn't call it 'excuses'. Australia declared with two hours to go on day two. Hayden's 380 is perfectly compatible with Ponting's stated Australian policy. I think the exception comes out of the fact that it is "exceptional" when a player can score 376 in five sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse
    Thats bull he spoke his mind and anyone can see that.

I cant think of any reason to call what he said dumb it's certainly not going to hurt anyone.

OK, he spoke his mind.

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and when one of the best batsmen in the world has just beaten a record made by one of your teammates against inferior opposition, I think this is the case.

I reckon it was a dumb thing to say because it opens him up to criticisms of sour grapes (although I don't beleive this is the case).

Cricket Spectator
    I think the exception comes out of the fact that it is "exceptional" when a player can score 376 in five sessions.
    Yeah that "exceptional" player got a triple-ton against a bowling attack Danny Morrison or Courtney Walsh could get a ton against. Cripes even Chandrasekhar coulda got 50!

Quote Originally Posted by hellnback
    Yeah that "exceptional" player got a triple-ton against a bowling attack Danny Morrison or Courtney Walsh could get a ton against. Cripes even Chandrasekhar coulda got 50!
    I agree completely.

Except Raymond Price has a better average than Daniel Vettori!

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyr
    Excuses?

I wouldn't call it 'excuses'. Australia declared with two hours to go on day two. Hayden's 380 is perfectly compatible with Ponting's stated Australian policy. I think the exception comes out of the fact that it is "exceptional" when a player can score 376 in five sessions.
    "Ponting said then captain Steve Waugh's decision to let Hayden keep batting, in an effort to break Lara's previous world record of 375, was the exception to the team rule.

"It was a very rare thing what we did with that Zimbabwean Test match, for Matty to be able to bat for as long as he did and go on and make that big score," said Ponting."

That is what I was referring to.

Hexxagon Champion!
    maybe Ponting should also have acknowledged the fact that Lara scored his runs against more creditable opposition than Hayden did.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by orangepitch
    maybe Ponting should also have acknowledged the fact that Lara scored his runs against more creditable opposition than Hayden did.
    why?? It's not like he was saying Lara's innings was not as good as Haydens or anything.

Infact he never once mentioned the quality of the innings. It would have been compleatly off topic for him to do so.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information