• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting calls Lara selfish

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Ganguly was asked to comment on Lara's innings and he said that Lara at his best was the best sight in world cricket. Smith defended Lara's decision to bat on. Dravid ate dinner early in the retirement party for Waqar Younis so that he could watch the feat being done. Sachin called him an inspiration to all batsmen. You think Ponting could not have said something on those lines for that question? I know he is not the most humble guy on earth but I just think those comments hinted on jealousy. His earlier comments about Murali, and his pathetic efforts to make them sound cheeky, they all indicate to me that the guy thinks he is the Lord, or atleast something pretty close to it. If he thought that the Windies could have won the game had Lara declared at 313* or something, I seriously question his cricketing wisdom. I am almost willing to bet that if Lara had declared on the second day, England would have scored in excess of 400 in their first innings. The English players were drained after more than two days in the field and also the emotions of watching the record, and I believe strongly that those factors also contributed in them getting all out for so few in the first innings.....

And about Fleming, eventhough it is offtopic, I think his efforts to play mind games against India and SA were pathetic. And it was no wonder that Sourav and Graeme Smith had the last laugh both times..... It was just plain funny to see a guy with a test average in the 30s criticising a line up who averaged more than 40.....

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I must say I have to agree with Punter, regarding the decision to bat on. We will never know if the declaration would have won the Windies the Test, but that's the way the Aussies play Cricket, and he was only commenting as such.

Eclipse

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
You think Ponting could not have said something on those lines for that question? I know he is not the most humble guy on earth but I just think those comments hinted on jealousy.
Actualy Ponting is one of the more humble guys in the Australia team.

He never talks himself up and in all the interveiws I have heard him in he always plays his own performances down.

I think deep down he does rate himself you can tell by the way he treats fast bowlers sometime's but outwardly he has never been one to talk him self up like Akthar or Shewag have done one or twice for example.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't care any more, and I'm certainly not going to respond by continuing what has become a discussion highlighted by its sheer banality.

Oh, wait...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Eclipse said:
Actualy Ponting is one of the more humble guys in the Australia team.

He never talks himself up and in all the interveiws I have heard him in he always plays his own performances down.

I think deep down he does rate himself you can tell by the way he treats fast bowlers sometime's but outwardly he has never been one to talk him self up like Akthar or Shewag have done one or twice for example.

That does not say much for the Punter's humility, to be honest. I mean, most people could be deemed humble when you compare them with Akhtar and Sehwag, who is very humble, he just doesn't know how to use the right words when he is talking in English. I have seen him give interviews in his mother tongue and he is very, very humble, I can assure you...

Eclipse

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
That does not say much for the Punter's humility, to be honest. I mean, most people could be deemed humble when you compare them with Akhtar and Sehwag, who is very humble, he just doesn't know how to use the right words when he is talking in English. I have seen him give interviews in his mother tongue and he is very, very humble, I can assure you...
Well what ever the case Ponting is not stuck up or have an overly high opinion of himself thats for usre.

Alot of people probably thought that of him in his younger days when he would come out to bat against quick bowlers like Akram, Donald etc not wearing a helmet and thinking he could hook any delivery he wanted.