• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting calls Lara selfish

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But why should he not comment?

As it stands, I can't see where he actually calls Lara selfish at all.

krkode

State Captain
age_master said:
hes the Captain of the Aussie cricket team... he is expected to comment on all things cricket
He didn't have to go on a self-righteous campaign about how Lara's knock was wrong. WI had almost three whole days to bowl out the English; they just couldn't!! It's not like he has an Aussie-esque bowling lineup at his back. His comment was silly, 'tis all.

If that's what he really felt, and so that's what he said, then it's still silly.

E.O.D. :happy:

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
marc71178 said:
But why should he not comment?

As it stands, I can't see where he actually calls Lara selfish at all.
Finally, someone else noticed! He's never called Lara selfish, or hinted at it - as usual, it's making a mountain out of a molehill.....

krkode

State Captain
Andre said:
Finally, someone else noticed! He's never called Lara selfish, or hinted at it - as usual, it's making a mountain out of a molehill.....
Silly cricinfo. Always doing stupid things. :happy:

The other day when ICC denounced Sri Lanka's complaint against Christ Broad, Cricinfo's subtitle was "Sri Lanka told to put up or shut up." Whoa there... :huh:

But still, what Ponting did say came off as a little high-n-mighty.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Andre said:

some people will do anything to critise Aussies...

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Andre said:
Finally, someone else noticed! He's never called Lara selfish, or hinted at itQUOTE]

Ricky Ponting: "It's generally not the way we play our cricket. Their whole first innings might have been geared around one individual performance and they could have let a Test match slip because of it. They ran out of time in the game - that's not the way the Australian team plays."

If this quote's accurate, the hint is clear and not especially subtle. Lara has professed himself to be "disappointed" by Ponting's reaction and so he also seems to have spotted the hint.

Slow Love™

International Captain
garage flower said:
Ricky Ponting: "It's generally not the way we play our cricket. Their whole first innings might have been geared around one individual performance and they could have let a Test match slip because of it. They ran out of time in the game - that's not the way the Australian team plays."

If this quote's accurate, the hint is clear and not especially subtle. Lara has professed himself to be "disappointed" by Ponting's reaction and so he also seems to have spotted the hint.
Yeah, but if you bleed all context and inference from Ponting's remarks, it doesn't have that meaning at all. 8-)

I guess some people will do anything to defend Ponting. How anybody couldn't follow the implications of his comments escapes me.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Andre said:

You dont read my posts then? 8-)

Argh, Im getting a little sick of this "Ponting should of kept his mouth shut' business. Frankly, Im starting to think that if it had been anyone else, no one wouldve bothered much.

biased indian

International Coach
Linda said:

Argh, Im getting a little sick of this "Ponting should of kept his mouth shut' business. Frankly, Im starting to think that if it had been anyone else, no one wouldve bothered much.
no one esle would make such no sense comment

krkode

State Captain
Linda said:

No one but the Australian brass can afford to make such a comment. :sleep:

But I agree, we're beating the issue too much here. We're reading between the lines and accusing Ponting of having done something he didn't. We should stop.

STOP. :wub:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
koch_cha said:
no one esle would make such no sense comment
His comment makes perfect sense, and I can see where he's coming from, but having followed the series I don't think the batting on had any effect on the West Indies chance of a win.