• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup in Australia

Where would the final of a WC be held in Australia

• SCG

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • MCG

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Telstra

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
I'm having a raging argument with a friend.

If Australia was to hold a World Cup final tomorrow, where would it be played?

It's obvious there are 3 main alternatives, SCG, Telstra or MCG...

All three have their pro's and cons...

SCG: Pro- In the biggest state, lotsa and lotsa tradition, held the last one, great facilities
Con- Smallest Capacity

MCG: Pro- Good capacity (80k), Great facilities, lots of tradition
Con- Not the largest state (less cricketing audience), to far for travellers from QLD and NSW.

Telstra: Pro- Huge capacitity (90k), In the biggest state,
Con- No tradition, unproven facilities (**** cricketing ground).

Where would it be?

Bouncer

State Regular
Well Pakistan Has done well at MCG in Finals 92 WC, 1985 Mini WC final which they lost...1997 Wseries final against WI, So If Pak makes it to Final in WC in Aus, io would want it to be held at MCG

My personal opinion is that finals should alwayz be held at the venues which are special for their traditions. Place like MCG, Lords, Johansberg, Edan Gardens, Qadafi Stadium..etc....its the specialness of the venue and event that brings the best out of the players....

Deja moo

International Captain
MCG hosted the WC final in 1992.

So, SCG will host it in 2011. simple as that.

On the other hand, since Aus and Nzl will be hosting it jointly, Nzl will get the final next time.....same as India having the final in 87 and Pak in 96.

So, it might be 32 years before Australia get to host a WC final.

Only problem would be if the Australians get selfish and deny Nzl the final as they did for the rugby WC.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
For starters, the NZC & The ACB have a far better relationship than the ridiculous public spats that the ARU & NZRFU have.

NZ definately would not get the WC final..you want it to be played at a true cricket venue. Eden Park is the biggest (crowd capacity wise) in NZ but to stage a final there would be stupid because it's basically a rugby ground.

Im sure that it'll be like last time..NZ will get the opening match & Australia will get the final. Unless NZ miraculously build a huge cricket ground in the near future, that might change! :D

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
BTW, I just cant recollect when was the last time Nzl hosted a triseries?
could anyone help?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think NZC could afford to have triangular matches. Unless of course it was like NZ/Aus/Ind or NZ/Aus/S.A because the public would just ignore the non NZ matches unless they were going to be 2 good teams.

The last time NZ had a big tournament was back in 1995 during NZ Cricket's centenary season where I think Aus, India & South Africa came.

Sehwag309

Banned
Speaking of WC's, expectations have grown after this years SA WC. Wonder if West Indies in 2007 will be as successfull.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
As much as a proud New South Welshman hates to admit it, I think it has to be the MCG.

It's a cricket ground with great tradition (unlike Telstra) and it can hold a massive crowd (unlike the SCG).

Eclipse

International Debutant
I cant wait for the re-development to finnish at the MCG.

I cant remember how much it will seat but I think it's like 110k.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Eclipse said:
I cant wait for the re-development to finnish at the MCG.

I cant remember how much it will seat but I think it's like 110k.
It'll be 100k odd, it has to be held at the G', as if theres any other realistic alternative

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Definitely the MCG for me - tradition.

Also, you say about the travel problems for Aussies, but I expect there'd be a lot more than just them wanting to go, so travel is less of an issue.

Sehwag309

Banned
Space will always be 1st priority, WC can see more people from around the world to fit in, and I guess thats the way it should be

Dan_tm

Cricket Spectator
I see no problem with Telstra Stadium in Sydney.It seats 83,000 and talk is that it can increase to 90,000,which is pretty much the same as the MCG's cricket capacity.

Melbourne had it in '91,I guess its Sydney's turn.

Dasa

After redevelopment, the capacity of the MCG will be over 100,000, not ~90,000.

Dan_tm

Cricket Spectator
Even when the G had 100,000 capacity,it never got more than 90,000 for cricket..Even the 1991 Final got 87,000 in the 100,000 seater MCG..I dont know why this happens....members not turning up?sightscreens?...

Dasa

There were health and safety regulations that prevented a full capacity. Apparently, for something like cricket that runs for many hours, the older stands could not be totally full (unlike with AFL). With the new stand, this will no longer be a problem.