• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup in Australia

Where would the final of a WC be held in Australia

• SCG

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • MCG

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Telstra

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
meatspx said:
Has it already been decided that the 2011 WC will be in Aus/NZ?
It would seem like the logical choice.
Well from what I've heard there's a chance the 2007 World Cup may be shifted there, if plans continue to go awry in the West Indies.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Also, could someone please explain why the 1999 World Cup was held three years after the 1996 one? Shouldn't it have been 2000? I know it's a stupid question, but it's always bothered me!

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Lions81 said:
Also, could someone please explain why the 1999 World Cup was held three years after the 1996 one? Shouldn't it have been 2000? I know it's a stupid question, but it's always bothered me!
I'm not quite sure about 1999 specifically, but the 1992 World Cup (which was held 5 years after the previous WC) was shifted to allow the hosts (Australia) to hold their annual World Series Cup. (Which coincidentally reminds me of one of the great regrets of my life: I was living 100 metres away from the ground where England played Zimbabwe in Albury, and figuring the game was going to be a slaughter I went to uni like a good boy. You can look up what happened if you don't know already.)

The next WC was held exactly four years later in the subcontinent, so I would guess that the next one was in 1999 to restore the WC to it's original quadrennial cycle.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
bennyr said:
I'm not quite sure about 1999 specifically, but the 1992 World Cup (which was held 5 years after the previous WC) was shifted to allow the hosts (Australia) to hold their annual World Series Cup. (Which coincidentally reminds me of one of the great regrets of my life: I was living 100 metres away from the ground where England played Zimbabwe in Albury, and figuring the game was going to be a slaughter I went to uni like a good boy. You can look up what happened if you don't know already.)

The next WC was held exactly four years later in the subcontinent, so I would guess that the next one was in 1999 to restore the WC to it's original quadrennial cycle.
Ah, thank you, and to meatspx too.