• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is ODI's best finisher?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watched that dig of Hussey's in the World T20 against Pakistan. Crazy stuff.

TheJediBrah

Clearly Bevan or Dhoni over the long term IMO, albeit in slightly different eras/style

Klusener was unstoppable for a year or 2 though

OverratedSanity

He was good at running between the wickets. That's all really. Other than that, nothing which would make him stand out. India were just so hard up at the time and he gave the fans a lot of hope during chases but most of the times, it came to naught.
He played a couple of great knocks, like that wc innings against Waqar, but overall he was pretty crap. Choked a lot too.

cnerd123

likes this
It's also interetsing that Razzaq and Afridi don't get a mention. The former in particular had one of THE ODI innings against England a few years back and was a great, pure striker of the ball. In t erms of Afridi, he is probably more noted for his finishing in t20s (Can't have won the world t20 without him) BUT he did it a fair few times in ODIs too.

Not quite Hussey level but pretty good.
I guarantee Afridi never won a game with the bat intentionally.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah, afridi got lucky a few times. never actually tried to knuckle down and 'finish', just swung for the fences like normal and it came off at the right times by chance

still love boom boom mind you but who are we kidding

vcs

Just watched that dig of Hussey's in the World T20 against Pakistan. Crazy stuff.
Remember watching it live. Don't think I've laughed much harder on too many occasions.

But yeah, that effort by Hussey was something special.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ajay jadeja was awesome against Australia at the 99 WC. Probably the first time I saw a clearly superior top order fail and the scrub middle order bat do well

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajay jadeja was awesome against Australia at the 99 WC. Probably the first time I saw a clearly superior top order fail and the scrub middle order bat do well
Probably the only time he did well. Jadeja is one of the reasons why 1990s India had the tag of 'Sachin falls, India loses'

tobe_ornot2

Banned
I guarantee Afridi never won a game with the bat intentionally.
Haha intentional or not, wins a win. Although his form in the world t20 09 actually had him 'knuckling down'.

Probably the only time he did well. Jadeja is one of the reasons why 1990s India had the tag of 'Sachin falls, India loses'
True for India early 00s too. In fact stayed that way till Dhoni arrived in the scene.

Also, since someone mentioned bowlers, has there been a more devastating death bowler than waqar? His partner weren't so bad either.

And as innocuous as mcgrath was, he was great in a final 10 situation.