• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh are now ranked 6th in ODIs

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's official. They went ahead of Sri Lanka after the win against NZ yesterday.

Some momentum for them to enter CT with

srbhkshk

International Captain
Long overdue I suppose.

I honestly can't convincingly answer If I was asked to pick the #2 ODI team in Asia currently. All three (Pak,SL,Bangladesh) seem to have a fair amount of skilled players but the overall level is just not up there with the other teams.

smash84

The Tiger King
Long overdue I suppose.

I honestly can't convincingly answer If I was asked to pick the #2 ODI team in Asia currently. All three (Pak,SL,Bangladesh) seem to have a fair amount of skilled players but the overall level is just not up there with the other teams.
haha, yeah. It's hard to pick among these 3. I would reckon bangers might actually edge out SL and Pak in asian conditions, and depending on their day on moving pitches they might come out on top against the other two as well

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bangladesh have been there or thereabouts - ie comparable to the middling to lower ranked sides - for a while now in ODIs. I think it was about 2011 when they whitewashed NZ in the format?

It's their test wins in the last year that have been really eye opening.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangladesh have been there or thereabouts - ie comparable to the middling to lower ranked sides - for a while now in ODIs. I think it was about 2011 when they whitewashed NZ in the format?

It's their test wins in the last year that have been really eye opening.
2010 and 2012

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Point being that their number 6 ranking would still be a fair assessment of their quality as they would have lost to the 3 teams ranked above them.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
they have played better cricket than us over the last 12 months so its a fair assessment. Well done to Bangladesh.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah.. Its good to see them coming up the rankings. They are surely a ODI outfit to be reckoned with. You never know, 4 good games out of 5 and they may even win the trophy.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I remember a while ago predicting that they'd win the 2019 World Cup. Being in England, I think that's a bit fanciful, so I'm bumping it back to 2023. But they're damn well going to do it.

cnerd123

likes this
I remember a while ago predicting that they'd win the 2019 World Cup. Being in England, I think that's a bit fanciful, so I'm bumping it back to 2023. But they're damn well going to do it.
I made that prediction too, based off how well they did in 2007. They really should have kicked on from the squad of 2004-2007 but they lost guys like Aftab Ahmed to ICL and Ashraful never found a brain and the next few years were **** again till they started thrashing NZ at home

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah... I think Bangladesh are a good example of what exposure to top flight cricket can do to a team's development. I know 2007 seemed good but they were good in very particular areas as opposed to how developed they are now overall as a cricket team, esp. in LO cricket. What took them 15 years as part of the test teams would have taken them 50 years outside. More reason to try and get at least Ireland into the fold AFAIC.

cnerd123

likes this
The problem with Ireland is all their success to date has been built off their players getting to play in the English domestic system. If they are to become their own Test nation, they may lose access to that, and then the question is if their domestic system is strong enough to develop talent. So while it's true that having Test status will help them prevent their best players from being poached by England, it could very well happen that they no longer have such a talent pool once they cannot use the English cricket infrastructure.

But on the topic of ODIs, the way they are set up now is pretty good.