• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does AB De Villiers need achieve to surpass Viv Richards as the ODI's greatest

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah Sachin was amaze in World Cups. Also a pioneer of opening along with Jayasuriya. Jayasuriya gets all the credit and, while he deserves a lot of it, some of it should go to Sachin as well. Began doing it two years ahead of Jayasuriya in 1994.

Yeah and Jayasuriya as an ODI player (not just batsman) will be up there in the top 10 easily too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If AB can't even be as likeable as Ponting (who was a ****ing **** himself) , then it's a huge black mark against him imo.
Just so we can take the thread even further off track and infuriate our new friend even more, it should be said that Ponting is a better bat overall than deVilliers by so far that the latter can barely see the glimmer of the sun off the back of the former's bald head in the distance. De Villiers has never been a clutch player in ODIs (even more so tests but that's another story). Hasn't led his team to a significant victory in any world ODI tourney. Looked pretty. Accomplished nothing.

Good fielder though. Not as good as Ponting, but hey.

Burgey

Yeah Sachin was amaze in World Cups. Also a pioneer of opening along with Jayasuriya. Jayasuriya gets all the credit and, while he deserves a lot of it, some of it should go to Sachin as well. Began doing it two years ahead of Jayasuriya in 1994.
Yes, I recall his wonderful innings in the 2003 and 2011 finals when he really rose to the biggest occasion.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
the biggest black mark against AB when comparing to Viv is that he's faced some really crappy attacks the past decade... the best bowler of that era is on his team

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Some one else mentioned this today to me. It's interesting as usually the Lankans or Kiwis take all the credit. The thing is though that Mark Waugh did it too. So not sure who I would credit it. It was just a progression. For me Lankans opening with Kallu and Jayasuriya was some thing special though. That was quite some thing .

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, how far does Kohli being the best chaser of all time elevate him? He's so much better at it than anybody else, I would say it's a bigger gap than what Viv had with his contemporaries.

Last edited:

Burgey

Some one else mentioned this today to me. It's interesting as usually the Lankans or Kiwis take all the credit. The thing is though that Mark Waugh did it too. So not sure who I would credit it. It was just a progression. For me Lankans opening with Kallu and Jayasuriya was some thing special though. That was quite some thing .
Botham did it ahead of Tendulkar - as far back as 1986-87.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yes, I recall his wonderful innings in the 2003 and 2011 finals when he really rose to the biggest occasion.
You need certain people to put you in the final and other people to win it. Gilly did it for Aus in 2007 and Dhoni did it for us in 2011.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Its not the same coz with Sachin up the order, it was still a move from #4 to #2. Jaya went frm #6 or #7 to #1 and with specific instructions to hit out or get out. That he got so good in the role to make all those runs is just amazing but that was never really the plan of Ranatunga. It just happened that he unleashed the ODI great batsman within him

Mean to say that Sachin's was like ensuring the best batsman got maximum time to bat. Jaya's was like discovering a great batsman from a bloke you thought was a nice ODI level bits and pieces player.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Finally a post to agree with Pratters. :laugh:

But didn't some counties try it even before Srikkanth in the Benson and Hedges trophies in the 70s in England?