• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does AB De Villiers need achieve to surpass Viv Richards as the ODI's greatest

viriya

International Captain
IMO AB is the GOAT already, but I can see why people might still pick Viv or Sachin.

I think AB will retire with the undisputed GOAT record though.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Top 5 ODI bats:

1. Tendulkar
2. Viv
3. Dhoni
4. Kohli
5. Bevan

Not included: Batsmen who have only pretty numbers and nothing else of note.

HashiraMadara

Cricket Spectator
Riight.. link me to these great hundreds he made batting at 9. 8-)
You know what I will do as a captain? I will whack a couple of sixes and remain not out to boost my average ;)

And funny how "outside his continent" is suddenly a measure of batting greatness.. Of course you can't use outside his country :laugh:
on two times India won the Test mace remind me how they won them... yeah, million home series

Last edited:

HashiraMadara

Cricket Spectator
The majority of objective stats are in Ponting's favour though. There is noway AB will score 4000 more runs, I doubt he can make 30 more 50s and he will not win 3 world cups. Ponting did all that and more while being captain.

Like I said, the avg and SRs are inflated now. There was a time when an average of 40 in ODIs was like an avg of 50 in tests, that just isn't the case now. Yes Starc looks to be a terrific bowler but he is early in his career and miles off guys like Murali, Waqar, Wasim, Steyn and so on who Ponting had to contend with. Plus the quantity of top ODI bowlers was higher during Ponting's heyday than it is now.

So there are a lot of factors but I won't go over it anymore because it seems like I am belittling a player who is genuinely one of my favourites.

I would like to add Amla to the discussion. The rate at which he has scored runs is even superior to the likes of AB and the supposed modern star of Kohli (a way off being great imo). I think he will get to 7000 ODI runs 10 innings faster than Kohli and be the fastest overall across the board from 2000-7000. That is remarkable for a guy at one stage thought to be "too slow."
Translate: I just like Ponting more...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top 5 ODI bats:

1. Tendulkar
2. Viv
3. Dhoni
4. Kohli
5. Bevan

Not included: Batsmen who have only pretty numbers and nothing else of note.

I would go

1. Viv
2. Sachin
3. AB
4. Bevan
5. Dhoni
6. Kohli
7. Ponting

And Kohli #6 because his career is still midway compared to the others in the list. I know AB has not done much at world cups but inspite of the thread starter's ways, you cant deny he is one of the greatest ODI batsmen of all time. I say Viv at #1 coz as unprecedented as what Sachin did was as an ODI player, what Viv did was even more unprecedented.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You know what I will do as a captain? I will whack a couple of sixes and remain not out to boost my average ;)

[QOUTE]
And funny how "outside his continent" is suddenly a measure of batting greatness.. Of course you can't use outside his country :laugh:
on two times India won the Test mace remind me how they won them... yeah, million home series
Yes and the others of course beat everyone everywhere to claim theirs. 8-)

And I am not even gonna discuss your other response coz as stupid as your post is, I still love AB and he is still my favorite batsman to watch. So I cant bring myself to finding the plentiful holes in his resume, like you are trying with Dhoni.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think a better question is whether ABdV is ahead of Sachin. Hard to say yes given my bias, but think he is. Just about.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wont put AB ahead of Sachin yet. World Cups are not the be all and end all of ODI cricket butt hey are still an important part. If he can tear it up in the next two ICC events, I am sure I will rate him higher than Sachin but as of now, not yet.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Sachin was amaze in World Cups. Also a pioneer of opening along with Jayasuriya. Jayasuriya gets all the credit and, while he deserves a lot of it, some of it should go to Sachin as well. Began doing it two years ahead of Jayasuriya in 1994.