• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does AB De Villiers need achieve to surpass Viv Richards as the ODI's greatest

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
back on topic - I'd like to throw support behind the arguments that Viv was a pioneer and unlike anyone in his era vs ABDV who is essentially just the best version of what an ODI batsman should look like in his era. It's like Viv defined the genre whereas ABDV just perfected it. I also support the argument that ABDV hasn't really done much in crucial ODIs, and has scored tons and broken records mainly against sub-par bowling attacks.

In terms of skill no doubt ABDV is the GOAT, but in terms of actual performances I feel he is kinda underwhelming, and that's despite phenomenal numbers.
AB is a pioneer with his 360 etc.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
This is a self defeating argument, if # of runs / 50s / world cups is what makes a player great then you have to necessarily consider Kohli a better player than ABD and Amla because he has basically the same amount of them as those two while still having a 4-5 year buffer in age.
Can you read the hwole post? There are a number of factors that contribute to someone being great or greater than someone else. Yes world cups and runs are part of that argument but there are also other factors which I mentioned.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Can you read the hwole post? There are a number of factors that contribute to someone being great or greater than someone else. Yes world cups and runs are part of that argument but there are also other factors which I mentioned.
The only other point in the whole post was that Ponting's time had tougher batting and averages and SRs used to be low which I agree with, but AB has a far superior average and SR to Ponting, (10+ average / 20 + SR difference which is quite big even after factoring in Ponting's times.)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ABdV is a fantastic batter but he isn't knocking Viv off his perch any time soon.

Viv has more strings to his bow as well being one of the better ODI captains.

But really the thing that sets Viv apart was his incredible ability to smash the ball. In a time when the boundary was the fence and bats had half the power they do now, Viv was able to find the boundary more than any other batsman. His strike rate was incredible for the era and is still top notch even today.

To put ABDV is the same discussion as Viv is a huge compliment to ABDV.

smash84

The Tiger King
ABdV is a fantastic batter but he isn't knocking Viv off his perch any time soon.

Viv has more strings to his bow as well being one of the better ODI captains.

But really the thing that sets Viv apart was his incredible ability to smash the ball. In a time when the boundary was the fence and bats had half the power they do now, Viv was able to find the boundary more than any other batsman. His strike rate was incredible for the era and is still top notch even today.

To put ABDV is the same discussion as Viv is a huge compliment to ABDV.
Viv wasn't that great an odi Captain

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
ABDV is not even close to Viv, let alone surpassing him.

Is he even better than Ponting? NO!