• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future of Test Cricket

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think it makes sense particularly given who the bottom three ranked teams are.

Touring South Africa? Play Zimbabwe in a four day Test on the way.
Touring England? Play Ireland in a four day Test on the way.
Touring UAE to play Pakistan? Play Afghanistan at the same venue before the big series.

Obviously if you let teams schedule them there's a chance we may be turning some would-be proper Tests into four-day Tests, and there's the slippery slope argument as well. I worry about all of this. But what the ICC has said about it so far -- that they're doing it to create more Tests for the lower-ranked sides -- is a positive IMO. I feel the same way about the ODI League.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Touring Australia? Play New Zealand in a four day test on the way.

It's not like NZC wants tests anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
Touring Australia? Play New Zealand in a four day test on the way.

It's not like NZC wants tests anyway.
you joke, but our CEO david white would think this is a fantastic idea and his only question would be "do you want me to gargle before i swallow?"

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Playing too many non-impact tours.Need to cut down useless tours,keep the series 4 or 5 tests with proper preparation matches before 1st test.Without preparation all teams dominating at home and miserable away.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I do agree that the concept of a 'final' for test cricket is absolutely ludicrous though.

How would it work? Who decides the venue and would it sell if it is a neutral venue? If it isn't a neutral venue, that awards the home side a distinct advantage,

What if it is a draw? What if it is a wash-out?

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Interesting article on the BCCI's proposed FTP between the 2019 and 2023 CWC's. Basically confirming that the majority of test cricket they play will be against Eng, Aus and Saf and a 'big 4' separating for major test series. A few other interesting points too.

New FTP could usher in Big Four era - ESPNcricinfo
Not much info on there apart from India's schedule.

How do all these tie in with the Test Championship? Are these bi-laterals a part of it? Or outside it..

SeamUp

International Coach
Not much info on there apart from India's schedule.

How do all these tie in with the Test Championship? Are these bi-laterals a part of it? Or outside it..
Basically saying apart from Aus, Saf & Eng they will be playing the minimum amount of 2 test series against the rest to qualify for test championship.

We will be seeing more 2-test match series which is a pity.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Basically saying apart from Aus, Saf & Eng they will be playing the minimum amount of 2 test series against the rest to qualify for test championship.

We will be seeing more 2-test match series which is a pity.
Ah yea I missed that bit. I don't know why the TC mandated that a test series needs only 2 tests to constitute a series. I was annoyed at that. But I guess a TC is better than no TC. It's ****ed though.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Interesting article on the BCCI's proposed FTP between the 2019 and 2023 CWC's. Basically confirming that the majority of test cricket they play will be against Eng, Aus and Saf and a 'big 4' separating for major test series. A few other interesting points too.

New FTP could usher in Big Four era - ESPNcricinfo
Banning the BCCI from having any influence is the way to resolve the future of test crickets

Everything in that article is a disgrace

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Makes sense tbh. The big 4 playing tests against each other will retain its viability. SL and Pak and Bangladesh should be playing against each other more as that is viable. Hopefully cricket will come back to Pakistani shores. NZ and Windies are the real outliers, which is sad.

Am sure there will be some plan-as-you-go here as well. Demand changes could lead to a new series being scheduled.

India having 80 of their 166 matches amongst the big 4 isn't that bad given that they don't play Pakistan and that leaves four of NZ, SL, Windies, and Bangers.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Makes sense tbh. The big 4 playing tests against each other will retain its viability. SL and Pak and Bangladesh should be playing against each other more as that is viable. Hopefully cricket will come back to Pakistani shores. NZ and Windies are the real outliers, which is sad.

Am sure there will be some plan-as-you-go here as well. Demand changes could lead to a new series being scheduled.

India having 80 of their 166 matches amongst the big 4 isn't that bad given that they don't play Pakistan and that leaves four of NZ, SL, Windies, and Bangers.
What do you mean viable?

Financial information released just this year shows the PCB is on par with CA in its earning and I think makes more than CSA. It is not financially viable to cut out the PCB, however, it is politically viable for India to do so, due to their own neurosis.

The ICC should never have bailed the BCCI, who claimed they would be unable to support their domestic structure without the bail out. CA sadly has always had issues with playing Pakistan and will try and follow suit along with India, although the Pakistan team drew the second largest live audience in a day night test in Australia.

Viable...yeah.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh and just sneakily, there's also an ICC window for the IPL now

"Over five seasons, the only international cricket that might coincide with the league are two series featuring Ireland against Zimbabwe and one where England play a three-ODI series against Netherlands, the 13th-ranked side in the ODI league."

Wonder if Pakistan will sit around twiddling their thumbs for the 2 months that ****show goes on.

Last edited: