• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future of Test Cricket

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose it all depends on what they include as expenses relating to a test match. Marketing, ground fees, support staff, player salaries (quick google says $9k per test per player), accommodation, transport. I'm sure there's a lot more. $500,000 feels a bit high though.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea just from personal observation in HK I feel a lot of the costs are just arranging last-minute logistics - things like food, buses, hotels, short-term labour. Those things rack up.

Marketing you would expect to turn a profit - after all, what's the point of spending money on marketing if you don't earn that money back through sponsorship/gate revenue/TV deals?

I wonder if we can find a cost breakdown of Test matches in various countries.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...lands-schedule-a-harbinger-of-what-is-to-come
“It’s fair to say that hosting a Test match in New Zealand before Christmas is financially a challenge,” says David White, the organisation’s chief executive. It is a window into the economic obstacles to playing Test matches. For home boards, most Tests make a net loss of over US$500,000
Hrmm, I'm pretty sceptical about that figure, I too would like to see a breakdown.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Is that really all we're talking? If it was ten or twenty times that then that might be a genuine problem, but ****, $50k per test to keep the country's core cricket supporters engaged with the game is a pittance.

You are merely chaining yourself to the trunk of a Pacific forest product, Straw Man, and not even a very good one.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There will be a minimum of two matches in each series - all of which will be scheduled to last five days - but can be expanded to five for series such as the Ashes
Really makes you think

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Slightly weird to trial it on a test that is only going to go 3 or 4 days anyway...

I hope it rains all day 3 and 4 before brilliant sunshine on day 5 :)

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would everyone still have as much of an issue if they made the days longer? They haven’t actually settled on the playing conditions have they?

Four days of 110 overs would pretty much be the same

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Four days of 110 overs would pretty much be the same
With over rates the way they are, I find it hard to believe they'd get anywhere near that - especially in places where it gets dark quite early.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Is anyone really going to care about the one day international championship? I thought that was what we had a world cup for ...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is anyone really going to care about the one day international championship? I thought that was what we had a world cup for ...
I couldn't care less about the league itself, but I like it because it'll ensure the lower-ranked teams actually get regular cricket against better sides and don't have to rock up at the World Cup once every four years having only played other minnows. It's a really great thing for teams ranked 10-13.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wouldn't that actually make it a sensible Test to trial it on?
Yeah they even said in the press release that they're trialling it to make it less burdensome for the good sides to play Tests against the weaker ones now that they've added two brand new Test teams. At no stage have the ICC actually tried to argue that four day Tests between teams of comparable strength will be preferable as a spectacle -- that crap has only come from the braindead #intent faction of the cricketing media.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I really don't mind 4 day tests as a way of shoe-horning games between smaller nations and larger ones in cramped schedules. Just don't let it become a regular thing and it's fine.