• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BW was spot on earlier in this thread, England's batting only gets warmed up after they lose their first 3 for 50 or so. :happy:

Spark

Global Moderator
BW was spot on earlier in this thread, England's batting only gets warmed up after they lose their first 3 for 50 or so. :happy:
It's Lord's tbf. This happens all the time; everyone looks at the pitch and agrees it'll be a road, then it darts around for the first session and wickets tumble and everyone gets excited, but then after lunch the original assessment is proved correct.

OverratedSanity

It's Lord's tbf. This happens all the time; everyone looks at the pitch and agrees it'll be a road, then it darts around for the first session and wickets tumble and everyone gets excited, but then after lunch the original assessment is proved correct.
Yeah, apart from that one in the 2014 Ind series, which started off absolutely insane and flattened out to pretty sporting, it's always been this way for ages.

Unless you're McGrath, it's a pretty sad place to bowl for the most part.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, apart from that one in the 2014 Ind series, which started off absolutely insane and flattened out to pretty sporting, it's always been this way for ages.

Unless you're McGrath, it's a pretty sad place to bowl for the most part.
I mean a lot of that is down to the fact that half the time it's England batting first up and England's top order has been somewhere between inadequate and just plain **** for a while now.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Reminds me of the test v NZ here in 2015

England were 30/4 before Root, Stokes and Moeen did the business. Tthat was a cracking game

Stapel

International Regular
I swear Philander always gets the ball to do something off pitch, regardless of surface.
Yeah. Gun bowler!
Yet, as much as I rate him, I feel 160 wickets @22 makes him look like Marshall or McGrath. Which he is not.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah. Gun bowler!
Yet, as much as I rate him, I feel 160 wickets @22 makes him look like Marshall or McGrath. Which he is not.
Yeah he's benefited bowling with Steyn giving him so many new bats to target but he is undisputedly a brilliant bowler. The opposite is also true as well obviously.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah. Gun bowler!
Nah, it doesn't really, because it's only 160 wickets, longevity is a big deciding factor in why Marshall and the like are considered greats, think Vernon will fall down in that reckoning.

He's very good at what he does though, and I've never really got the doubters.

91Jmay

International Coach
So we had drinks, and now we have a SA fielder padding up and bringing stuff on. Absolute joke, 20 overs in 66 mins? Good ****ing luck, Elgar banned unless 2nd innings is a massive improvement.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not a chance they'll get banned unfortunately. But there really needs to be a 10 runs/over penalty for every over lost on days like today.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This is the first look I've had at Marahaj. Looks a wee bit pedestrian, doesn't he?

Not expecting it to rag square on day one at Lords, but he doesn't look to be putting much work on the ball either.

Bit of Mark Butcher about Bavuma's bowling for me. No pace at all, but does swing it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This is the first look I've had at Marahaj. Looks a wee bit pedestrian, doesn't he?

Not expecting it to rag square on day one at Lords, but he doesn't look to be putting much work on the ball either.

Bit of Mark Butcher about Bavuma's bowling for me. No pace at all, but does swing it.
He was excellent in Australia, really consistent and patient.

I've only been watching since tea but I'd suggest Root has knocked him off his rythm

Stapel

International Regular
I've never really understood what's so bad about going on for (yet) another half hour, if play has been slow.

What I really, really DO like, is a captain that takes a few seconds more, every over again & again, to get their field right, have a talk with the bowlers, and check again. It's what Test Cricket is about. Or at least what I likw about it! I coulnd't be arsed about a few minutes....

91Jmay

International Coach
I've never really understood what's so bad about going on for (yet) another half hour, if play has been slow.

What I really, really DO like, is a captain that takes a few seconds more, every over again & again, to get their field right, have a talk with the bowlers, and check again. It's what Test Cricket is about. Or at least what I likw about it! I coulnd't be arsed about a few minutes....
Because they would then slow down even further, give them an inch and they take a mile.

vcs

England rollicking along nicely.

Kind of happy to see Maharaj getting some treatment, he was taking too many 5-ers for my liking in NZ. :happy: