• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Amla makes it to 7000 and the fastest to do so. In fact, the great one is the fastest to 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k and 7k.

Legend.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Bairstow had a great chance to score a ton and make the selectors job difficult.

Had to try and bat the overs.

England lost that game. We are crap in dead rubbers.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
So Morgan complained about the pitch but from what I saw, it was a pretty standard wicket to bat on. I did miss the start of the game where lots of wickets fell but from the highlights it looked like Rabada and Parnell bowled a terrific channel.

Also, what's all this about "not an ODI pitch"...does Morgan expect every wicket just to be a flat track for the ODIs. I loved the fact that bowler,s the faster men in particular, had a say in an ODI for once.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So Morgan complained about the pitch but from what I saw, it was a pretty standard wicket to bat on. I did miss the start of the game where lots of wickets fell but from the highlights it looked like Rabada and Parnell bowled a terrific channel.

Also, what's all this about "not an ODI pitch"...does Morgan expect every wicket just to be a flat track for the ODIs. I loved the fact that bowler,s the faster men in particular, had a say in an ODI for once.
To be fair it wasn't a ODI wicket......it was a typical test strip.

There is nothing wrong with ODI's that have something for the bowlers and I generally much prefer the 200 V's 220 type scenarios, but you need that assistance right through 100 overs. This wicket had grass on it and like a test match it was gonna do plenty early on and then flatten out and become significantly easier to bat on. There was too much of an advantage in the toss with a wicket like this IMO.

That said, SA bowled incredibly well and no matter what the wicket is doing there is never an excuse for 6/20 inside 5 overs........England were woeful.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bearing in mind that I turned it off at 15-3, I didnt think that the pitch was too bad and it was more a case of good bowling/pretty ordinary batting

Burner

International Regular
Ordinary batting would be putting it mildly. England can say bye-bye to the CT if they are going to play like that every time they have to do some uphill climbing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bearing in mind that I turned it off at 15-3, I didnt think that the pitch was too bad and it was more a case of good bowling/pretty ordinary batting
Yes, the first 3 wickets weren't great but they were at least earned. Numbers 4, 5 and 6 were shocking shots at the best of times but when you're in that sort of position you do need to engage your brain.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yes, the first 3 wickets weren't great but they were at least earned. Numbers 4, 5 and 6 were shocking shots at the best of times but when you're in that sort of position you do need to engage your brain.
I suppose it also comes down to adaptability and Hales, Buttler, Rashid aren't exactly compact batsman with sound techniques and defences Probably the reason (for the first two particularly as batsman) for not being in the test team come the test series.

SeamUp

International Coach
Thought SA showed gradual improvement against a good team at home. Considering there was a little lay-off from last series together.

Bowling got better each game. Number of dropped catches in 2nd ODI didn;t back up bowling effort.
Fielding was peak in 3rd ODI.
Obviously didn't get a chance 3rd ODI but the 2nd chase was pretty good compared to our first effort although I think we bowled poorly in first game.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Thought SA showed gradual improvement against a good team at home. Considering there was a little lay-off from last series together.

Bowling got better each game. Number of dropped catches in 2nd ODI didn;t back up bowling effort.
Fielding was peak in 3rd ODI.
Obviously didn't get a chance 3rd ODI but the 2nd chase was pretty good compared to our first effort although I think we bowled poorly in first game.
Their was a better intensity.

What would your team be for CT trophy? QDK,Amla,Faf,Duminy,ABdV, Miller, Morris, Parnell/Maharaj, Rabada, Morkel, Tahir

SeamUp

International Coach
Their was a better intensity.

What would your team be for CT trophy? QDK,Amla,Faf,Duminy,ABdV, Miller, Morris, Parnell/Maharaj, Rabada, Morkel, Tahir
Can't see them going past those options bar maybe Lucky. But I would go with that and consider twin spin in Cardiff but we aren't playing there and we are playing Asian teams in the group stages.

Oval should be a run fest but should be good bounce there. We play Sri Lanka and India there. Pakistan at Edgbaston.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ordinary batting would be putting it mildly. England can say bye-bye to the CT if they are going to play like that every time they have to do some uphill climbing.
I don't think any of the CT pitches would be anything close to this as per the CT pitch curator. Not a single CT game will be played at Lords.

England's ODI team is based on a very specific approach which is compatible with the modern flat pitches you will find in England, Australia, South Africa, to an extent India today.

Anything else, is not an 'ODI pitch" as per their requirements.

That being said, the CT pitches will meet that template so England should be fine for the CT and the next World Cup if that is also to follow this template.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
I don't think any of the CT pitches would be anything close to this as per the CT pitch curator. Not a single CT game will be played at Lords.

England's ODI team is based on a very specific approach which is compatible with the modern flat pitches you will find in England, Australia, South Africa, to an extent India today.

Anything else, is not an 'ODI pitch" as per their requirements.

That being said, the CT pitches will meet that template so England should be fine for the CT and the next World Cup if that is also to follow this template.
I don't think it's just about the pitches though. I guess you could get away to a certain degree but even in flat tracks you can come across a superb bowling performance and lose a few wickets early. Then you have to consolidate. England had none of that yesterday. Only after they were six down did they resist their erection to drive.

Maybe they've learned their lesson. You cannot have a perfect game every game.

91Jmay

International Coach
I don't think it's just about the pitches though. I guess you could get away to a certain degree but even in flat tracks you can come across a superb bowling performance and lose a few wickets early. Then you have to consolidate. England had none of that yesterday. Only after they were six down did they resist their erection to drive.

Maybe they've learned their lesson. You cannot have a perfect game every game.
Yeah, I am willing to put it down to just one of those days. I think the batting over the last 2 years has earned them that reprieve.