• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know people will just say we've a more attacking line-up, so we score more runs, but I think the big thing is the tons we score nowadays, compared to how it used to be.

We had plenty of batters who just didn't go on, Bell, Bopara and even KP for a long stretch of his career,

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yep, hundreds are the currency in ODIs now.

Got to say I've heard a lot of hype about this Phehlukwayo but he looks very very ordinary. Throw downs in that over.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
This is why you can afford Buttler being a bit inconsistent. Our top order has consistently performed for a while now, so the lean patches aren't as noticeable, and then when he finds his touch like this there's nobody in the country half as destructive.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I know people will just say we've a more attacking line-up, so we score more runs, but I think the big thing is the tons we score nowadays, compared to how it used to be.

We had plenty of batters who just didn't go on, Bell, Bopara and even KP for a long stretch of his career,
Case in point: Hales has already scored more hundreds than Bell, in about a quarter of the games. Bell wasn't terrible, especially in his comeback, but that's ridiculous.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Got to say I've heard a lot of hype about this Phehlukwayo but he looks very very ordinary. Throw downs in that over.
He is a stock bowler, why he is bowling the 46th over I can't understand.. he went for 22 after bowling 8 overs for 40. He is a 20 year old with potential and is a great striker of the ball, but he is being pushed into the team earlier for other than cricketing reasons... we all know this.

91Jmay

International Coach
So England's last 11 totals when batting first in ODIs read as follows: 324 for 7, 444 for 3, 302 for 9, 309 for 8, 350 for 7, 321 for 8, 296 for 6, 328, 328 for 6, 339 for 6 and now 330 for 5. That is turbo-charged by anyone's standards.
If our bowlers can bowl even below average we have a great chance in any game.

91Jmay

International Coach
Stokes becoming the impact player we all hoped for. Will take some time to turn his overall career record around but it is on the right path.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That is exceptional numbers....
I think there was a stat on TMS that since the World Cup they've scored at 6.2 per over and the next highest is SA on 5.8. That's one reason why people are talking of them as favourites for the Champions Trophy.