• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why England don't rate Willey's batting?

Firebreaker

Banned
He bats at 9 or 10 which is below Adil Rashid and Plunkett and Moeen Ali who I think aren't better than him.He has got century in every format in domestic cricket and still bats too low even though he could be a good middle order batsmen or even a good finisher

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The gap between English domestic cricket and International cricket is huge, much more so than domestic cricket in most other countries

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The gap between English domestic cricket and International cricket is huge, much more so than domestic cricket in most other countries
Then what are the reasons for James Patterson, Michael Klinger and Pete Handscomb's presence here (to name just a few)? Spot of tourism? Absolute gunk.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
How do work that out? Ill grant you Sheffield Shield would be the strongest 1st class comp due to so few teams.......but why would CC be weaker than any of the others?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lets see. I'd say the domestic-international gap for England is smaller than that for Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, New Zealand and likely South Africa (franchise).
Funny definition of 'most' you're working with.

S.Kennedy

If the gap between domestic cricket and test cricket was that great in England, you wouldn't be drawing forth great England test players. Every great England player is a product of the English domestic system - even someone like the South African Jennings (partially) is. Joe Root was great for Yorkshire before he was great for England. Ben Stokes was great for Durham before he was great for England. Bairstow Etc. Even if they're picked up early, like Cook and Root, they're still products of their club's academy structures and second elevens - they're still products of school cricket, club cricket and/or minor counties cricket (if you go further to the grassroots).

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
From what I can gather, Willey is used like how Narine is used in T20s and maybe some LO games. There are some people who are good at taking advantage of field restrictions but cant really bat well either defensively or offensively when the field is spread out. If Narine is batting at the top, I dont see him batting any higher than 8 or 9 and maybe England feel the same with Willey. Rashid & Co. may be backed more to do better when the field is spread than Willey.

TheJediBrah

How do work that out? Ill grant you Sheffield Shield would be the strongest 1st class comp due to so few teams.......but why would CC be weaker than any of the others?
Not sure where all the defensiveness in this thread is coming from. It's really not a dig at anyone.

simply a result of dividing your country's talent into 16 (?) sides, which is inevitably going to lead to a lower standard.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
International cricket is generally much higher. Just an example ofc but imagine Jack Shantry running in bowling 120kph dibbers as a legit form of attack from apparently the best northern team this season. Whereas imagine Cummins running in at you 150kph+. Doesn't Shantry have a FC100 actually? Does that mean he would bat higher for England? Of course not.

flibbertyjibber

Division 1 is strong, Division 2 is rubbish. Willey hasn't done much with the bat in Division 1 as there is a massive gulf in class. He is a hitter in limited overs cricket up the order but England don't really need him there.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
He's a bowler who has occasionally hacked some runs in domestic limited overs cricket. He's not as good a batsman as Rashid in the longer form, but already tends to bat above him if it's the last few overs because he's more powerful. Power doesn't always equal a good strike rate though, a swing and a miss is the least efficient way to bat and that's why Willey has only struck at 70 in ODIs.

Seems to usually bat ahead of Plunkett, but doesn't really deserve to when you look at recent ODI batting, Plunkett has genuinely been an asset down the order.

Comparing him to Moeen, who is a genuine top order batsman with nine hundreds and a better strike rate even in domestic cricket, is crazy.

Impression I've got is that Willey's batting has actually been overrated by England given his performance so far.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure where all the defensiveness in this thread is coming from. It's really not a dig at anyone.

simply a result of dividing your country's talent into 16 (?) sides, which is inevitably going to lead to a lower standard.
Why do you think anyone is getting defensive? You made an ill informed comment and people called you on it....simples.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
County Championship has been underrated in terms of its difficulty/quality for at least ten years. Probably more.

During that time plenty of overseas players who were delivering the goods have come across for a season and have struggled or underwhelmed. A young Michael Clarke is one example that always sticks in the memory.

Edit: And that's the only post on cricket I will make for the year. Goodbye.

S.Kennedy

Eighteen and they've been split into two divisions since 2000.

I do not really agree with your latter point either - I think it is quite the reverse infact. Firstly overseas players fill many of the teams out whereas Shield teams are exclusively Australian. Secondly, there are more opportunities (in first-class cricket) for fledgling English cricketers; cricketers of a similar calibre in Australia would surely only play in grade cricket or the second elevens? Thirdly, the better teams will gravitate to the larger more successful and historic clubs regardless - the two Londoners, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Notts - so there it is not as if you have a scenario where all the teams consist of two-three great cricketers and a bunch of rubbish ones. It is similar to a football league where you have an upper elite and minnows.

At least players in the smaller clubs are competing against top flight cricketers. Even the minnows at the bottom of division two such as Derbyshire could find themselves playing against test players (occasionally) and (more likely) former test players, which can only improve aspiring cricketers.

From a fan perspective, a larger number of teams means there are more localities which have a team of their own to support, and more cricket - none of that can be a bad thing -, surely?

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Is this a Precam multi? I'm no fan of Moeen Ali but not even David Willey's own granny would put him in the same league as a batsman.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Because he's an agricultural slogger of the ball.

If he actually tried to play cricket shots then he might get somewhere.

Instead he tries to hit every ball into another country. Rashid has come in after Willey and hit above 100 SR playing cricket not baseball.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The gulf between Div 1 County and international cricket is absolutely massive. I wouldn't say it's much different anywhere else though, tbf.

But yeah, belting runs in Div 2 =/= sustained international success. The difference is so drastic that it's almost a whole other game.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
This division between county cricket and test cricket is bollocks.

England's 3 teams are a product of county cricket success. Moeen is now a mainstay despite being mainly a division 2 player.

Willey is a good batsman who thinks playing like a filthy slogger is the way to go.

He's exactly where he should be until he tailors his approach.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Eighteen and they've been split into two divisions since 2000.

I do not really agree with your latter point either - I think it is quite the reverse infact. Firstly overseas players fill many of the teams out whereas Shield teams are exclusively Australian. Secondly, there are more opportunities (in first-class cricket) for fledgling English cricketers; cricketers of a similar calibre in Australia would surely only play in grade cricket or the second elevens? Thirdly, the better teams will gravitate to the larger more successful and historic clubs regardless - the two Londoners, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Notts - so there it is not as if you have a scenario where all the teams consist of two-three great cricketers and a bunch of rubbish ones. It is similar to a football league where you have an upper elite and minnows.

At least players in the smaller clubs are competing against top flight cricketers. Even the minnows at the bottom of division two such as Derbyshire could find themselves playing against test players (occasionally) and (more likely) former test players, which can only improve aspiring cricketers.

From a fan perspective, a larger number of teams means there are more localities which have a team of their own to support, and more cricket - none of that can be a bad thing -, surely?
sorry but if you're trying to claim that County cricket is as good a standard (or better) than the Shield then you're really confused. As to the rest of your post regarding whether it's a "good" or "bad" thing, that's great but not really what I was talking about.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that for a certain player to be performing in that competition is not necessarily as good an endorsement as some other domestic competitions in the world with a higher standard. Which is what the thread was supposed to be about wasn't it?

Lets see. I'd say the domestic-international gap for England is smaller than that for Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, New Zealand and likely South Africa (franchise).
Funny definition of 'most' you're working with.
That's fair though. I'll cop that I really don't know **** about other domestic competitions, and was excessive with my use of the term "most" given that pretty much the only ones I do know about are England's and Australia's.