• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers who you like/don't like to watch

Bijed

International Regular
We have plenty of discussion on here about which batsmen we do and don't like to watch, but what about bowlers? Whether it's for the aesthetics of their action or for the deliveries they bowl.

Personally, I always liked watching Mitchell Johnson, both for his action and for the fun factor of his unpredictability. Always enjoyed watching Warne too.

On the flip side, I recently found Zafar Ansari particularly unappealing to watch

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Used to hate watching early Zaheer with that exaggerated, idiotic leap of his which took away about 20% of his potential page. But I loved watching later Zaheer with his control and subtle movements.

Never liked watching Murali, sorry. Love him as a bloke but his action just looked other worldly to me, and not in an asthetically pleasing way.

Also liked to watch Johnson, mostly for the unpredictability factor. Enjoy Anderson, not so much Broad. Lillee had the best action to watch of them all imho, then Hadlee and Holding. There was also something both terrifying and compellingly beautiful about Garner.

Hearth is awesome to watch imo. Donald was great, and I used to love watching Devon Malcolm - a right handed, Pommie MJ tbh. People say McGrath was boring but he and Pollock were great - economical, repeatable actions.

For theatre, Steyn and them crazy eyes are sensational. And for sheer madness with what the ball did, Wasim Akram.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loved watching Warne, weather he was setting batsmen up and owning them by playing mindgames, or when he was getting spanked by India.

All the Pakistani great bowlers... Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar, Asif... Akhtar my favourite though, never ever a dull moment.

My favourites though, are fast bowlers who visibly get on a roll and you can somehow sense they're about to run through the opposition.... Steyn, Ambrose, and Broad especially.

Hated watching Walsh... ugliest action ever.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
In terms of sheer entertainment value and excitement

Wasim
Steyn
Waqar
Akhtar
Donald
Ambrose

Rabada is kinda getting there but sample size too small for now.

I find myself watching clips of Holding, Thomson and Imran over and over again on youtube. Just a beautiful, artistic sight.

Firebreaker

Banned
I hate all the chuckers including unreported likes of Junaid Khan.

I think James Anderson has a smooth action and also Willey

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of current players, Anderson at least in favourable conditions, and Steyn of course. Going back Holding, Imran, Donald and Waqar.

Least favourite would be anyone who chucks (Ajmal etc) or non-turning, guileless 'spinners'.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Holding and Lillee are perfection. Fiery Fred looked great also from the old footage. Simon Jones more recently, and today, Rabada.

I wouldn't say there are many I actively dislike. Bob Willis for instance had the craziest run-up and action but it was great in its un-orthodoxy. Finn is a bit ungainly I suppose, all sixes and sevens.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest Warne was the only leg spinner whose action I found even a little pleasing to the eye. Love Harbahan Singh's action with all the arm swinging. Alsova fan of Mitch Starc's action

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Easier to name the guys I dont like watching bowl as I basically like every other bowler - Malinga for his action... Bumrah coz it just makes me realize how much pace he still loses out on. And most left arm spinners who hardly put their body through the delivery stride and of course, the filthier actions like Samuels etc.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only saw him at the ground a handful of times, and I'm not suggesting he was a great bowler (although on his better days he was a very good one) but the only bowler who the sight of alone made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up was Steve Harmison - watching him run in was a magnificent sight - I suspect Michael Holding would've been the same, but the two occasions when I might have seen him the weather was so bad he never got a bowl

ImpatientLime

International Regular
panesar and tufnell had lovely, smooth, repeatable actions.

there is something compelling about broad when he clicks. everything becomes so much more fluid and of course destructive.

darren gough had a beautiful action.

hated lance kluesner, so awkward and jerky.

most leggies with the exception of warne are pretty dire to watch. macgill in particular. actually didn't mind mushy so much.

big curtly with those high kicking knees and elbows looked so intimidating. loved it.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That little wrist rattlesnake shake thing Ambrose did before delivery...epic

Burner

International Regular
Really like Umesh Yadav's action. Very simple like he's going for a morning walk. He's getting better these days as well.