• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali cleared!!! .... or not...?

Slow Love™

International Captain
A bit hard to make sense of all this really:

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/APR/127790_SL_18APR2004.html

Apparently, Murali currently exceeds the current flexing threshold agreed upon by the ICC - but there will be talks on whether the thresholds should be adjusted to accomodate him. In a sense, there's some logic to this, as I'm not really sure why fast bowlers should be allowed a greater straightening threshold than fast bowlers.

On the other hand, are they saying his doosra deliveries are illegal, or not? It would seem that, according to current guidelines, they're not. In any event, he's allowed to bowl them until this matter becomes officially resolved.

Kind of confusing, really...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, that will keep the debate raging just a bit longer and does very little to allay the fears and doubts of an awful lot of people.

To sum up - "If we move the goalposts a little, then Murali's doosra is perfectly ok".

Nice fudge - hand the decision baton over to someone else.

PY

International Coach
To be fair, whatever the ICC do with this little investigation, Murali will always be regarded as a chucker in some people's eyes. Fair or unfair? Matter of opinion and has been discussed to death in about 10+ threads.

However, that decision helps no-one decide whether his new delivery is legal. Jeez some people's arses must be getting sore on the fence as no-one dares make a decision.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Basically move the goalposts far enough, and he will be fine... Good on the lad, a champion offie and its all been handled with the highest integrity possible... I cant wait to see him bowl his way to 600!

iamdavid

International Debutant
Ive never branded Murali a chucker , as to me he never appeared to straighten his arm.

But if the experts have deemed that he exceeds the current limit then why on earth arent they gonna put him into remedial work immediately , it really dosent look very good if they suddenly decide to review the rule once they discover he's in breach of it.

If thats the rule all other spinners have had to operate under then why should Muttiah Muralitharan be any different.
If it was discovered that Alok Kapili's wrong-un was illegal do you think they'd review the rule & allow him to play on in the mean time ?
I reckon they'd give him three options , change the action , stop bowling the particular delivery or your bowling days are over.
And personally I find it more than a little unfair that Murali should have it any other way.

anzac

International Debutant
another fine example of the ineptness of the ICC to actually make a decision about anything slightly controversial (see the lack of action / comment re the ZIM situation).............

so far as Murali getting more leeway than other bowlers - perhaps he has a better PR set up - a bit like the OJ defense of black superstar being targeted & treated harshly by whitey..............

8-)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Murali has 500 wickets.. He is apparently a credit to the game of cricket.. He is good for the ICC, especially the asian element... Of course he gets special dispensation...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Could anyone give a plain English description of a flexion threshold?
Flexion is where muscles push the body inwards from the anatomical position.. SO the first part of a bicep curl would be flexion, and the latter part is called extension...

A flexion threshold therefore must be a range of movement that is allowed in the flexion process...

Thank you ICC for being really assertive, concise , and of course doing everything in your power to make cricket fair and appealing to all concerned...

PY

International Coach
I guess it is how much the bowler can hyper-extend his arm past 180 degrees then?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Flexion is where muscles push the body inwards from the anatomical position.. SO the first part of a bicep curl would be flexion, and the latter part is called extension...

A flexion threshold therefore must be a range of movement that is allowed in the flexion process...

Thank you ICC for being really assertive, concise , and of course doing everything in your power to make cricket fair and appealing to all concerned...
I'm now even more confused than I was before.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
To sum up - "If we move the goalposts a little, then Murali's doosra is perfectly ok".

exactly. and why should we move the goalposts for him... people are copying his action already and chucking... its only going to get worse....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
exactly. and why should we move the goalposts for him... people are copying his action already and chucking... its only going to get worse....
Really. How do they develop the hyper-extension of the elbow?

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
All this shifting around crap is beginning to get on my nerves. Why can't the ICC just get off it's butt and make a bloddy decision on this? Otherwise, players will be continually subject to tests and the ridicule that comes with it.