• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali cleared!!! .... or not...?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
SquidAU said:
All this shifting around crap is beginning to get on my nerves. Why can't the ICC just get off it's butt and make a bloddy decision on this? Otherwise, players will be continually subject to tests and the ridicule that comes with it.

I'm a big fan of Murali's, but it does seem scandalously unfair if the rules are going to be bent (no pun intended) for him, while Jermaine Lawson, for example, has just undergone around 9 months of intense work - at no little cost to the cash-strapped WICB - to correct his faulty action.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
garage flower said:
I'm a big fan of Murali's, but it does seem scandalously unfair if the rules are going to be bent (no pun intended) for him, while Jermaine Lawson, for example, has just undergone around 9 months of intense work - at no little cost to the cash-strapped WICB - to correct his faulty action.
Totally agree.

The 'investigation' has opened up an enormous can of worms, and I smell a typical ICC put up job.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slow Love™ said:
Just what I was gonna say. Maybe Marc didn't read it. :blink:

Where does it say that though?

Reading it again it says that his arm is above a certain limit, but the UWA feel the limit is flawed.

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:

Reading it again it says that his arm is above a certain limit, but the UWA feel the limit is flawed.
They said they'll commit to further research into flex levels for slow bowlers, because the Sri Lankans are arguing that his action is more like that of a fast bowler. As it stands though. he's outside ICC guidelines for legal deliveries. So your exasperation that people might possibly dare to still allege that Murali chucks the ball in light of the test's findings seemed a little strange.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:

No spinner has ever had a problem with that before.

There wouldn't be an uproar if this was Alok, as someone said previously.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
No spinner has ever had a problem with that before.

No spinner has ever had such a deformity.

The UWA concluded that although he exceeded a given "limit", he gains no advantage from it, and also, not once in that article does it say "He throws" or "he chucks"

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:

The UWA concluded that although he exceeded a given "limit", he gains no advantage from it, and also, not once in that article does it say "He throws" or "he chucks"
Well, as the ICC closes ranks to protect Murali, the knives are coming out for Chris Broad

Stitch up - told you so

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Sri Lankans were always going to complain about Broad - they did first and then the State newspaper decides to have a go.

From Broad's reputation, I doubt he cares.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:

MEH.

If he exceeds the limit, he chucks, that's it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bruce Elliott's report said:
Tolerance levels were recently introduced by the ICC - although not into the Laws of Cricket - because research into fast bowling indicated that some degree of elbow straightening was identified in 99% of cases. The natural elbow flexion spanned from 3 to 20 degrees.

After the completion of these studies, fast bowlers were permitted to straighten by 10 degrees, medium pacers 7.5 degrees and spinners five degrees
1) Everyone chucks a bit
2) The thresholds are arbitary
3) I find it hard to see why a spinner straightening 6.2 degrees chucks and a seamer with 9.3 doesn't

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tom Halsey said:
Perfectly well.

Basically, he chucks, so they are shifting the rules to clear him.

Madness.

Brilliant stuff Halsey.. The Essex contingent have just outdone themselves.... Common sense doesnt have to be complicated :)

Deja moo

International Captain
The point here is whether the forearm flexes while delivering after the hyperextension has occured.

As I see it, the bowler may hyperextend 10-20 degrees or whaterver, but the benefit can be derived only of there occurs flexion from that position while delivering.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
to summarise, Murali in bowling his Doosra, even when not in a match situation, breaks the limit which was set for him not that long ago. this seems stupid to me, he got given leway and now he is being allowed to push it farther. it sureley must stp somewhere....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
to summarise, Murali in bowling his Doosra, even when not in a match situation, breaks the limit which was set for him not that long ago. this seems stupid to me, he got given leway and now he is being allowed to push it farther. it sureley must stp somewhere....
The point here is the 'leeway' he was given is far less than a fast bowler. The argument from Sri Lanka (and the testers) goes along the lines of

a. He doesn't get any advantage from it
b. His arm speed is such that he should be judged as a fast bowler

Deja moo

International Captain
On what basis does the ICC divide players into slow, medium and fast?
And who decides the leeways for each group?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
orangepitch said:
On what basis does the ICC divide players into slow, medium and fast?
And who decides the leeways for each group?
I daresay they look it up on cricinfo