• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali cleared!!! .... or not...?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And Today's "Not Understanding the Issue" Award goes to...

Barry Jarman, the former Australian captain and wicketkeeper. Jarman was the first match official to raise suspicions about Murali's actions. "It makes a joke of the game – it makes me sick talking about it," Jarman was quoted as saying in the Sydney Daily Telegraph. "Everyone knows he bowls illegally. I saw his photo in the paper the other day and put an old school protractor on his arm. It was bent at 48 degrees [the legal limit for spin bowlers is 10]. I put it up in the pub to show everyone. He is a lot worse than the University of Western Australia people reckon he is."

Getting bend of arm and degrees of flexion ever so slightly confused here, Bazza? 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But as an Aussie, some would have us believe it's impossible for him to have opened his mouth and put his foot in it!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I believe that the testing showed that when bowling his normal delivery that he straightens him arm but not by more than 5 degrees therefore it is legal. His doosra does not measure up according to the laws of the game, end of story. He should not be bowling it and if he continues to bowl it after this ridiculous 6 week grace period then he should be rubbed out.

The comparison raised with Warne and drug taking are ridiculous. these guys get drug tested on a regular basis. All previous tests came up negative. He has done his punishment for failing the test. personally I think that he should have got 2 years for the crime (it is what other athletes get). That said there is no conclusive proof that Warne took any test wickets after taking a banned substance.

Deja moo

International Captain
The Argonaut said:
The comparison raised with Warne and drug taking are ridiculous. these guys get drug tested on a regular basis. All previous tests came up negative. He has done his punishment for failing the test. personally I think that he should have got 2 years for the crime (it is what other athletes get). That said there is no conclusive proof that Warne took any test wickets after taking a banned substance.
I thought that the world cup was the first time that drugn tests were introduced ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Drug Testing in Cricket has been around a lot longer than that.

I seem to remember controversy the best part of 10 years ago with the Cat and a missed test.