• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whatever happened to Fawad Alam?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Samiuddin talked about him recently in a CI piece. I am quite shocked he has been completely forgotten over the years. He has made tons of runs in domestic cricket but not selected even once after being dropped. Crazy..

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he the guy that got caught playing a lap sweep by Steve Smith who ran from slip to short fine leg to take the catch?

He probably could never live it down

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Samiuddin talked about him recently in a CI piece. I am quite shocked he has been completely forgotten over the years. He has made tons of runs in domestic cricket but not selected even once after being dropped. Crazy..
They make a lot of excuses about fitness, lack of power hitting, or 'he's in the pipeline' everytime they drop nor pick him but ultimately the main reason is that they judge his batting based on the way it looks and they don't feel any confidence or get impressed. They give more weight to that over the truck load of runs he has scored in FC.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
He was dropped and never seemed to recover from it. I am not sure why but now, I do not believe he should be making a test come back. At 35, he is beyond Pakistan's future plans and with Malik and Hafeez still hanging aroung, along with Ali and Shafiq in their 30s, if they bring in a new batsman to fill in the mo gap, it should be someone younger.

Firebreaker

Banned
At first I thought it was about that refugee spinner that played for Australia occasionally and made some kind of a record in domestic

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was dropped and never seemed to recover from it. I am not sure why but now, I do not believe he should be making a test come back. At 35, he is beyond Pakistan's future plans and with Malik and Hafeez still hanging aroung, along with Ali and Shafiq in their 30s, if they bring in a new batsman to fill in the mo gap, it should be someone younger.
He's 31. Gotta bring him in imo. They need a veteran hand. He may turn out to be Misbah 2.0 for all we know.

Niall

International Coach
he the guy that got caught playing a lap sweep by Steve Smith who ran from slip to short fine leg to take the catch?

He probably could never live it down
He also bowled with his cap back to front in that series which was badass.

Is this the coolest man in cricket? | Fox Sports

He then scored 6 of 20 balls which wasn't as cool sadly.

He has nothing to offer the limited over team, but its deeply unfair how few tests he has played when you look at his first class numbers. Hopefully he gets recalled now Younis and Misbah are gone.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
He's 31. Gotta bring him in imo. They need a veteran hand. He may turn out to be Misbah 2.0 for all we know.
You are absolutely right. He is still only 31. I thought he was 35 for some odd reason. Ok, that is a fair enough point for the test side, 31 still leaves him with a solid 3-4 years. I don't think the Pakistan test side needs mass change anyway, just a bit of a re-jig if you will.

1. Aslam
2. Shehzad
3. Ali
4. Azam
5. Shafiq
6. Alam
7. Sarfraz wk (and captain I presume)
8. Amir
9. Shah
10. Ali
11. Khan/Riaz/Shadab/Raees/Sohail Khan and a few other bowlers depending on conditions.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ You just dropped the guy who took 5 wickets in the last test match.

Alam has to play and should easily find space in the middle order

Azhar
Sami
Haris
Shafiq
Babar
Fawad
Sarfraz

Niall

International Coach
Easy to forget that Alam can bowl to a decent enough level, he isn't a fifth bowling option, but Arthur has been worried about the workload on the four frontline bowlers. Its probably to early for Khan or Butt to be picked in the batting seven. Sohail will also lessen the workload when he returns.

Heboric

International Debutant
He also bowled with his cap back to front in that series which was badass.

Is this the coolest man in cricket? | Fox Sports

He then scored 6 of 20 balls which wasn't as cool sadly.

He has nothing to offer the limited over team, but its deeply unfair how few tests he has played when you look at his first class numbers. Hopefully he gets recalled now Younis and Misbah are gone.
Yep you can go from uncool to cool by just turning your cap backwards. Scientifically proven

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing that's always bothered me about Fawad is that he's built like me in a scrawny weakling mould.

Bring him in though.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ That's also what bothers the board, management, selectors and pretty much everyone involved in Pak cricket setup. When he was dropped from the ODI squad after the Australia series in 2014, the reason was his lack of big hitting ability.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's really good but would get found out in Tests with his poor fawad defense technique