• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Ireland Tri-Nation Series 2017

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Obvious to you perhaps, not me. I thought they have a decent chance going into that game with gash players like Rance and Worker in NZ's side, but actually watching the game it was quite obvious that even what was effectively a NZ 2nd XI was better than them.

There's at least 20 players in the NZ scene better than Rance & Worker, and as many of us have been saying for ages now, Neesham shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the bowling crease with a white ball in either white-ball format.
I was expecting better from Bangladesh, but I suppose they were beaten by a bunch of sub-first class cricketers in a warm up game of their tour to NZ, so it was unlikely they were going to win.

Agree that Worker and Rance have looked out of their depth so far.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It is quite sad to see Ireland stagnate as an International team. Can someone let me know just how good the team could potentially be if everyone available for Ireland played? I have no idea if there are many young county players aiming for England honours instead.

Change of topic, Sarkar with another good score. He is a good bat, Bangers doing well leaving out someone like Kayes.

brockley

International Captain
Nufan its a combination.
1 Counties aren't signing Irish players anymore,not even new 1's in 2nds.
2 Players are preferring to play in The Irish first class competition,not that the wages reach Counties level.

Half the Irish players in county cricket are aged,,the others and those in their 30's aren't performing too well in firsts or 2nds.Maybe some more Irish being cut from county cricket next year.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
African monkey, stop giving fake news.

Player of the match is Mustafizur
Thought I saw Ed Joyce receiving a man of the match award at the end of the game? My bad if I'm wrong I suppose it was early in the morning down here.

I don't mind giving Worker a bit of a go. He deserves a chance to prove himself and I wouldn't mind seeing him play the rest of the games here. Can't say the same about Seth Rance. Hope we've seen the last of him at this level.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
It is quite sad to see Ireland stagnate as an International team. Can someone let me know just how good the team could potentially be if everyone available for Ireland played? I have no idea if there are many young county players aiming for England honours instead.

Change of topic, Sarkar with another good score. He is a good bat, Bangers doing well leaving out someone like Kayes.
Fingers crossed for Champions Trophy

Mike5181

International Captain
Ireland's going to cop a massive score if they don't produce something better than this first 9 overs.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that was pretty fun.

If you want to be a grinch, see Ronchi's dismissal as another example of why he should never ever open against fast bowlers.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a magnificent ton by Tom Latham, one of his best surely and proof of his talent in the face of great adversity on the cricket field.

brockley

International Captain
Time for new blood.
If you going to lose maybe a fresh team will do it,then later on they will get better.

S.Kennedy

They're old farts now, that great generation of cricketer which pulled off victories over England. Trust the ICC to finally begin giving Ireland recognition when their team are old and knackered.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Dead rubber tomorrow but last chance for us to gain some confidence against NZ for CTrophy. We have been hammered right and left all this season by them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So the consensus is that Ronchi is going to open with Gup in the CT?

It just keeps getting crazier with this guy. Still living off a knock 30 months ago (must be unprecedented in cricket history), has been dropped only to be brought straight back in and heralded as the best we have, fails to the point his spot at 7 is no longer tenable...so they create a new role for him! One, as far as I know (correct me if wrong) he's had no history of performing, let alone performing well in.

But as my hero of sports writing, Bill Simmons would say..anytime you can select a 36 year old who averages 10 with the bat, you've gotta do it.

Moss

So the consensus is that Ronchi is going to open with Gup in the CT?

It just keeps getting crazier with this guy. Still living off a knock 30 months ago (must be unprecedented in cricket history), has been dropped only to be brought straight back in and heralded as the best we have, fails to the point his spot at 7 is no longer tenable...so they create a new role for him! One, as far as I know (correct me if wrong) he's had no history of performing, let alone performing well in.

But as my hero of sports writing, Bill Simmons would say..anytime you can select a 36 year old who averages 10 with the bat, you've gotta do it.
Is it set in stone? Latham has found form in this series by the looks of it.

Look, even if/when Ronchi gets discarded it's going to be a problem for NZ - fitting two decent openers, two batsmen who can bowl, plus a wicketkeeper in the top 7. That's why Elliott was such an asset; being able to bat at 5, plus his bowling meant he balanced the side well. Neesham and Anderson you'd think are the frontrunners but neither of them is good enough to bat at 5 yet IMO.

Three ways of overcoming this: 1) Latham keeping and opening, which I'm not in favour of. 2) Anderson and Neesham at 5 and 6 (hmmm) 3) Williamson to act as the 6th bowler in every game (best option for the moment for mine)

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
As it stands out Fizz stands at 43 wickets from 18 (including this one). Mendis is the fastest to reach 50 from 19 which is out of equation. But he can break the great Ajit Agarkar's record of fastest fast bowler to get 50 wickets from 23 matches