• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Left Handers XI of all time

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Btw Underwood massively overrated. Wardle, Lock, Bedi, Verity all ahead of him for mine.

If I was going for two spinners, then Underwood would be in for the variety.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Graeme Smith
Alistair Cook
Kumar Sangakkara
Brian Lara
Garry Sobers
Alan Border
Adam Gilchrist
Wilfred Rhodes
Alan Davidson
Wasim Akram
Bill Johnston

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Graeme Smith
Matthew Hayden
Kumar Sangakkara
Graeme Pollock
Brian Lara
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Alan Davidson
Wasim Akram
Derek Underwood
Forgot one.. So, it is between Bill Johnston and Mitchell Johnson. Dont know too much about former so my pick will be latter one.

harsh.ag

Graeme Smith
Kumar Sangakkara
Brian Lara
Graeme Pollock
Allan Border
Garry Sobers (c)
Adam Gilchrist
Alan Davidson
Wasim Akram
Bill Johnston
Hedley Verity

Smith in for fourth innings chases. Sanga is used to coming in to bat early anyways. Works out well.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Bill Voce is a better bowler than some with bigger records. His career was spaced out and there weren't as many Tests when he was in his prime.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
You can pick a very strong "batted left-handed, bowled right-handed" XI (all players except Gilchrist have taken at least 1 Test wicket - without that restriction, Lara, Sangakkara and Flower come into the reckoning):

Alastair Cook
Graeme Smith
Graeme Pollock
Neil Harvey
Mike Hussey
Jack Gregory
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Bill O'Reilly
Brian Statham
Curtly Ambrose

It's harder to find a strong "batted right-handed, bowled left-handed" XI (Bisset is the only Test wicket-keeper listed as such by Cricinfo, though plenty are lsted as "unknown arm"):

Wilfred Rhodes
Vinoo Mankad
Frank Worrell
Charles Macartney
Denis Compton
Michael Clarke
Frank Foster
Murray Bisset
Trent Boult
Bill Voce
Derek Underwood

kingkallis

International Coach
Graeme Smith /
Arthur Morris /
Brian Lara /
Graeme Pollock /
Kumara Sangakkara / +
Garfield Sobers (c) / o (6)
Alan Davidson o / (4)
Wasim Akram o / (1)
Bill Johnston o (3)
Rangana Herath o (5)
Brett Schultz o (2)

fredfertang

I think Bill Voce is a better bowler than some with bigger records. His career was spaced out and there weren't as many Tests when he was in his prime.
And a better bowler than his own record suggests, as he should never have played international cricket after the war

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Yeah - apart from the keepers I restricted it to players with a Test wicket (for no particular reason).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith
Lawry
Sangakkara
Lara
Border
Sobers
Gilchrist
Davo
Akram
Johnston
Verity/ Bedi/ Underwood

Zinzan

G.Smith
B.Lawry
K.Sangakkara
G.Pollock
B.Lara
G.Sobers
A.Gilchrist
A.Davidson
W.Akram
D.Underwood
B.Johnston

12th- M.Johnson
Best side to date, although Lawry's there or thereabouts against 3-4 others. Pleased to see people didn't think Johnston was a typo.

Burgey

Any side leaving out TOTAB can't get my vote but otherwise it's a very good outfit.