• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better cricketer overall- Hashim Amla or AB de Villiers?

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Both great players of this era and one of the South African all time greats who had a successful career in all formats of the game. Who do you think is a superior cricketer overall?

Amla is definitely a better test player while de villiers is clearly a superior limited overs player and also has a superior record in World Cups among the two.

Both haven't had a great outing as a captain.

de villiers is by far the better fielder of the two and at times kept wickets for his team too.

Discuss?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
De Villiers. Overall he brings more to a side with his abililty to keep and his awesomeness in the field than Hashim. If it was just test batting, I'd say Amla, but all things considered, it's the Faux AB.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Amla... rate steadfast mental strength over mercurial talent. And Amla tends to be underrated in LO.

vcs

AB is a better bat than Amla in ODIs. Amla is also brilliant, but no shame being behind AB in that format.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Used to rate Amla more, last 5 years or so I've been more in De Villiers camp. He's always been a better fielder, but his batting is just that much better imo

burr

State Vice-Captain
I'd prefer Amla for his test record and longevity. Plus he's a gorgeous bat.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
de villiers is clearly a superior limited overs player
Dunno if this is as clean cut as that. Amla has been an outstanding opening batsman in ODIs, and is among the best of all time as an opener.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go AB. Good to see Amla doing well in the IPL though. He looked dreadful in NZ when he was here and I thought his eye had gone

Burner

International Regular
Overall AB is better in both formats for me. Ab better than Amla in odis by a bigger margin than Amla is better than Ab in tests.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dunno if this is as clean cut as that. Amla has been an outstanding opening batsman in ODIs, and is among the best of all time as an opener.
cbf checking this but my perception of Amla is that he's been an utter failure in big games/tournaments when it's mattered.

Great at cracking out tons in meaningless ODIs nobody gives a **** about though.

edit: have checked and my perception seems correct. Tournament record is pretty crap and his overall career record is boosted by extensive bashing of the worst teams.

Last edited:

vcs

cbf checking this but my perception of Amla is that he's been an utter failure in big games/tournaments when it's mattered.

Great at cracking out tons in meaningless ODIs nobody gives a **** about though.

edit: have checked and my perception seems correct. Tournament record is pretty crap and his overall career record is boosted by extensive bashing of the worst teams.
Wouldn't put it that way, but he's exceptional in bilaterals against everyone and pretty meh in tournaments.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
While de Villiers is superb in LO stuff.... you can see how padded his Test stats are with his numbers against WI etc..... Amla is just brilliant across both formats and for me is far more consistent in Test overall. Test >> LO thus I rate Amla higher.

OverratedSanity

Love Amla the test batsman, but in ODIs he's way behind AB. His career is almost over and in all the opportunities he's had, he's been disappointing in wcs... Made meaningless runs against poor opposition while AB always stepped it up against the best teams

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am sure it's clear cut given Amla's lackluster performance in big tournaments like WC or CT and also given the fact that AB has far more gears and can score faster than Amla.