• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zafar Ansari announces retirement aged 25

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Surrey and England allrounder Zafar Ansari has announced his retirement from the game at the age of 25.

While acknowledging the decision might come across as a "surprise", he reiterated comments he had made previously about having ambitions in life beyond cricket. "With that in mind, I am now exploring another career, potentially in law, and to achieve this I have to begin the process now," he said.

Ansari made his England debut in an ODI against Ireland in 2015 and reached the Test side on the recent tours of Bangladesh and India where he played three Tests. He had initially been called up to England's Test squad for the series against Pakistan in the UAE in late 2015, but broke his thumb just hours after the announcement.

"After seven years as a professional cricketer and almost two decades in total playing the game, I have decided to bring my cricket career to an end," Ansari said. "This has been a very difficult decision to make and I have not made it lightly. I started playing for Surrey at the age of eight, and the club has been a hugely important part of my life since then. Surrey have always completely supported me and I am extremely grateful to the club for their backing over the years. It is, therefore, with great sadness that I say goodbye.

"Nevertheless, I have always been clear that when the time was right for me to move on I would, and that time has now come. While the timing may come as a surprise, I have always maintained that cricket was just one part of my life and that I have other ambitions that I want to fulfill. With that in mind, I am now exploring another career, potentially in law, and to achieve this, I have to begin the process now."

Alec Stewart, Surrey's director of cricket, said: "Zafar's exceptionally tough but considered decision is one that we should all respect and understand. To retire at such a young age when his cricket career was progressing very nicely, earning a Test debut against Bangladesh last winter, proves that he has given great thought in deciding to walk away from the professional game."

Ansari made his first-class debut for Cambridge University, where gained a double-first degree, in 2011 against Essex - his maiden first-class wicket was Alastair Cook - and in his third match he claimed 5 for 33 against Surrey which included the scalp of Kevin Pietersen.

He subsequently developed into an allrounder who impressed in the four-day game and, for a lengthy period, opened the batting in the County Championship. He finished with career-bests of 112 and 6 for 30 in first-class cricket.

"I will look back extremely fondly on playing with some wonderful teams and having the opportunity to perform in front of the best crowds in county cricket at the Kia Oval," Ansari said. "Equally, to have played three Test matches for England was a huge honour and it is something I will undoubtedly savour for the rest of my life. Most of all, I will miss the people with whom I have shared my career and I cherish the relationships that I've formed along the way.

"I would like to thank Surrey and its fans for the way they have supported and encouraged me over the last 17 years. I am now looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life, but I know that Surrey will always feel like a home to me."
Zafar Ansari announces retirement aged 25 | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

ZA as a kid

ZA: Mom/Dad I want to play cricket

South Asian Parents: Only after studies, homework, assignment, extra tuition, A+ grades are attained.

ZA at 25.

South Asian Parents: Alright enough of playing now, time for a real career now, you're not a kid anymore.

ZA: Law firms, here I come.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder how someone like James Taylor might feel about that decision.

cnerd123

likes this
Good move based on an honest appraisal of his future prospects.
IDK about that. If you told me my future prospects were being a solid county pro for atleast another decade, with the possibility of playing more tests, and with plenty of opportunities to get into media/coaching/administration after, I'd quit my job right here right now

Zafar clearly wasn't that into the idea of a life in cricket.

Howsie

International Captain
Never heard of him but he's the splitting image of that teenage Boston marathon bomber from a few years ago.

the big bambino

International Captain
IDK about that. If you told me my future prospects were being a solid county pro for atleast another decade, with the possibility of playing more tests, and with plenty of opportunities to get into media/coaching/administration after, I'd quit my job right here right now

Maybe you would but Ansari has better options it seems. Even so a fc batting average of 29 and bowling ave of 35 suggests he'll be in a long line ... ending at the DWP based on those figures.

Kid's connected. Better opportunities elsewhere for him and you'd reckon that's why he chose them. If he could bat like Root or all round like Stokes would have given him strong incentive to play on.

Top_Cat

The number of law firms already lining him up as a ringer for their social indoor teams...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
In his quest for brilliance across many trades, I'm just worried that Ansari is going to end up being the Master Of None.

:ph34r:

Shri

Mr. Glass

Yeah but don't you clean toilets or something? There's a difference.

Top_Cat

not sure how this is relevant tbh.

i've seen it said as a dig towards ansari elsewhere too.
Yeah same. I mean, what's supposed to do, keep playing because others can't due to their bad luck? Would get bashed if he quit after a middling CC pro career and said my heart wasn't in it the whole time too. Can't win.

OverratedSanity

The guy wanted to take his career a different direction and has every right to. No one is obliged to continue just because others weren't fortunate to get more chances.

_Ed_

Fair enough, apologies for being unfair on the guy. I do wish him the best with his future endeavours.

TheJediBrah

He must really dislike playing professional cricket and all it entails IMO

And I don't really blame him. I doubt I'd have the drive and will to put the amount of time into training and travelling that they do.

edit: or he just really loves the idea of being a lawyer . . . go figure

flibbertyjibber

Similar to the Warwickshire lad who was knocking off Prince William's sister in law. He jacked soon after playing for England too.