• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Cricket - New TV rights negotiations/deal

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Channel 9 just announced they've secured the TV rights for the Australian Open Tennis at all other tennis in Australia.

Looks very likely now that cricket will be departing Ch 9 after 40 years.

Victor Ian

International Coach
So long as it goes back to the ABC it will be great.

I think one of the thing I hate most about this scandal is all these corporate thieves who have no moral compass having the real say in what goes on. They are the true home of where all this hypocrisy comes from. The fun part is that this will bite them in the bum the moment Kyrgios and Tomic get on court.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Channel 9 losing the cricket would be utterly end of the world type stuff. If the ABC, 7 or 10 don't pick it up and it goes to Foxtel the game is over as an Australian tradition.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Channel 9 losing the cricket would be utterly end of the world type stuff. If the ABC, 7 or 10 don't pick it up and it goes to Foxtel the game is over as an Australian tradition.
It's still on the anti-siphoning list so that won't happen. It's going to 7 or 10.

Starfighter

As fantastic as it ending up on ABC would be, it's about as likely as Norman May rising from grave to take his place in the commentary box again.

If it ends up on Fox Sports then it will be a long term disaster like England is getting into.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is such an opportunity for Australian cricket. In one foul swoop we get rid of the whole Channel 9 boys club.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
There was talk about Fox Sports setting up their own Cricket channel if they got involved in the TV rights; would be awesome that, especially if they got a lot of old highlights of classic matches to broadcast.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Big no to it going to ABC. Their coverage of the Liverpool v Sydney match was dire.
Disgraceful as it was it was only a one-off match, reckon they'd pull their socks up if they won it full-time. Radio (different but) they're still king.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sydney and Melbourne and the ashes is on the anti - siphoning list. Foxtel could pick up the other tests.
Nah it's all internationals Australia play in Australia as a starting point, and then a bunch of away games on top of that.

7 Cricket

(1) Each test match that:

(a) involves the senior Australian representative team selected by Cricket Australia; and

(b) is played in Australia.

(2) Each test match that:

(a) involves both:

(i) the senior Australian representative team selected by Cricket Australia; and

(ii) the senior English representative team; and

(b) is played in the United Kingdom.

(3) Each one day cricket match that:

(a) involves the senior Australian representative team selected by Cricket Australia; and

(4) Each Twenty20 cricket match that:

(5) Each match of the International Cricket Council One Day International World Cup that:

(b) is played in Australia or New Zealand.

(6) The final of the International Cricket Council One Day International World Cup if the final is played in Australia or New Zealand.

(7) Each match of the International Cricket Council World Twenty20 tournament that:

(b) is played in Australia or New Zealand.

(8) The final of the International Cricket Council World Twenty20 tournament if the final is played in Australia or New Zealand.
Source:

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2017A00113

stephen

I'm surprised that more World Cup matches aren't on the anti - siphoning list.

Based on their coverage of the Big Bash I'd absolutely love for the channel 10 team to cover the tests. Ponting in particular is an excellent commentator.

TheJediBrah

Based on their coverage of the Big Bash I'd absolutely love for the channel 10 team to cover the tests. Ponting in particular is an excellent commentator.
Ponting will be coaching m8

morgieb

Now that it's no longer merely a possibility 9 will lose the cricket, who will actually get picked up from 9 by another channel?

Imagine Lawry and Chappell just retire. Slater I think has other media commitments on 9 and I could just see Nicholas being a non-Australian freelancer.

Unfortunately I suspect the two most likely to go to 10 (or 7) are Warne and KP....