• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Cricket - New TV rights negotiations/deal

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In fairness to 9, they've been epic for cricket in this country over the long haul. And they're now left with broadcasting tests (which have limited appeal), ODIs (which would be copping a caning in ratings from BBL) and T20Is (which no one seems to really care about).

If 9 get the BBL, they'd do well to keep the format of the coverage pretty much the same as 10's. And if all cricket ended up on 10, they might be able to transfer some of their BBL presentation success into the test coverage.

FWIW I was born in the year 9 started broadcasting cricket and it's really hard to imagine tests not being on 9.
T20Is still rate very well - people probably care less because there's not much context to them, and ODIs provide quality ratings as well - they never go head to head with BBL. All the issues that get raised about ODIs in Australia tends to be about crowd attendances, rather than TV ratings.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yet to hear from Channel 7?,they are holding their cards close to their chest,and 7 is the number 1 channel.
Surely there'd be some concern about cannibalising their tennis coverage. I doubt we'll see them involved unless it's seen by them as a real bargain, which would be bad news for CA.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's exactly what everyone said before C10 got the big bash.
Perhaps.

My point is based on 7's AFL coverage which is diabolical. I don't remember 10's being so awful.

TBF, we don't know how Ten would handle Tests. But I think Ponting/Gilchrist/Fleming would do a good job at it at least.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think they would do it fairly well

Anyway, I find the timing of all these articles very suspicious

Are the ashes and Indian tours included in this deal? From memory, test ratings are more than reasonable and there's more day night tests coming too

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
As a TV product, ODIs are still very strong in Oz, especially when playing likes of India & England.

I think one area of vulnerability is actually with the int T20s; they seem especially lost with the BBL there now and the ratings for the SL T20 series weren't great; although I think that was as much for being shown too late in the summer and after a NZ tour as much as anything.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think the fact is that people care far more about the Big Bash than they do T20Is.

If I was cricket i'd do away with T20Is altogether.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Speaking of Australian former cricketing pundits, Ponting had a hair transplant? I didn't know of this. I always saw Ricky Ponting as a no nonsense Aussie geezer and not the sort to pay extraordinary wads of cash to have his follicles rearranged! So that is Warne, Ponting and Vaughan - who else? (I bet Tendulkar!).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Speaking of Australian former cricketing pundits, Ponting had a hair transplant? I didn't know of this. I always saw Ricky Ponting as a no nonsense Aussie geezer and not the sort to pay extraordinary wads of cash to have his follicles rearranged! So that is Warne, Ponting and Vaughan - who else? (I bet Tendulkar!).
Yeh, I imagine Channel 10 encouraged it. Don't reckon he would care, kind of bloke you could imagine as a 50yo with a greasy combover down at the local dish-licker track on a Tues night.

Burgey

Gooch got one as well

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasn't it Ricky that used to do those Ashley and Martin ads? or was that Warnie?

Either way, Punter definitely got a rug transplant around 08.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Punter used to do every press conference with a cap, covering up his scalp.

Interesting point made by Josh Massoud on Offsiders how Channel Seven started winning the 6pm news this year during the cricket (particularly ODIs), which has never happened in the past.

Daemon

Nothing wrong with hair transplants. If I was loaded and going bald I'd probably do it too. These guys are in the media all the time, I'm sure they get a bit more self conscious than the average person.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not a matter as to whether they rate better, it's just how much the rights are costing them.

They could theoretically make more money showing antiques roadshow marathons for 5 days in a row even if hardly anyone watches it
If the figures in the OP are true, they could make more money by showing the test pattern and getting literally no viewers at this point.