• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Cricket - New TV rights negotiations/deal

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Isn't football behind a paywall in England?
It's illegal to broadcast live club football between 2:30pm and 5:30pm in the UK, save for the FA and Scottish Cup finals. Traditional kick off time for football in this country is 3pm on a Saturday.

Literally half of the EPL fixture card, as well as virtually the entire EFL and SPFL cards don't get broadcast live, the only way to see them is to go to the game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Of these guys, I think Clarke is woeful, Healy can be ok when he isn't carrying on, I am a Chappelli fan although he grates as he becomes more senile, I really like Nicholas, he reads the game superbly and commentates appropriately, plus he is a class host, Lawry is just wonderful, although mostly past it now, Slater can be good, same as Healy, he carries on at times but generally reads the game ok, I love Tubby, everything about him, and Warne is a flog.

It's going to be very very strange in Australia not having Channel 9 do the cricket. I've never known anything else.

And it's so institutionalised. The theme song, my god, the theme song!
Part of it has to be to do with Channel 9.

Slats was quality when he used to commentate on Channel 4 in the UK and IMO Warne is much better when he's on Sky, particularly if he's commentating alongside Atherton or Hussein.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's illegal to broadcast live club football between 2:30pm and 5:30pm in the UK, save for the FA and Scottish Cup finals. Traditional kick off time for football in this country is 3pm on a Saturday.

Literally half of the EPL fixture card, as well as virtually the entire EFL and SPFL cards don't get broadcast live, the only way to see them is to go to the game.
Is this for real?

Borges

International Regular
So these football fans pay good money to watch recorded stuff.
Why wouldn't the cricket fans be willing to pay to watch live stuff?

Victor Ian

International Coach
As has been proven from other countries acting as the test subjects, it is all a matter of training us dumb Australians. We'll soon be paying to watch this stuff and thanking them for it. I might be done with International cricket. I will just have to go out there and play it (not international - local - obviously) again instead.

Do they have fogey leagues?

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What did Australia cricket fans make of Sutherland's message to those who cannot afford subscription cricket? Correct me if I am wrong but is the guy actually justifying the move by saying there will be a lot more women's cricket on free-to-air?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/v...ian-cricket-fans-who-cant-afford-pay-tv-video
They've tried to get parity with with the representation meme without realizing who brings in the real money.

I'd be fine with it, but I don't want to spend half my summer watching women struggling to hit pie chuckers over the brought-in fence.

stephen

This is so deep in my psyche, telling me summer is here, and the best time of year is here. :(
This makes me sad.

"Got him! The last ball! Can you believe that!" By Bill has been going around for a lot longer than I realised. I'm going to miss it.

No more Richie farewelling us at the end of a test with "this has been another presentation from nine's wide world of sports" really makes me incredibly emotional. It's like he really is gone forever now.

Three truth is that cricket is too good and has too much history to be entrusted to the likes of Sutherland and co. It should be given national funding on the same level as schools and hospitals and given three dedicated fta tv channels with zero advertising.

Victor Ian

International Coach
What amazed me listening to the themes, all in a row, was how they modernised it for a number of years with guitar and I was none the wiser.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Aussie One Dayers and Aussie T20's on anti siphong list,how does Fox get round this?
Copy and paste job..

The anti-siphoning list gives the free-to-air broadcasters the first right to negotiate," Senator Fifield said on 2GB radio.

"It does not mandate that free-to-air broadcasters have to purchase events. It does not mandate that if they do purchase, that they have to show them. And it does not mandate that if they do purchase events that they can't then on-sell them to other platforms.

"The list ... is there to increase the likelihood some of these significant events are on free TV.

"But it's not possible for any government to mandate that free-to-air broadcasters have to purchase certain events.

Starfighter

Nothing in there surprises me. Angers on the other hand...

Pretty clear that Peever and Sutherland wanted to make a quick buck (i.e. line their own pockets) without regard to the amount of damage it would cause in the long run, and simply crawled to Fox to do it.