• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

hussain vs fleming?

tooextracool

International Coach
Lions81 said:
waugh ever win in india?
i dont rate waugh highly as a captain. if u cant win a series in india with a team as good as he had then surely ur not very good.hussain and fleming were ahead of him by a country mile.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
Okay, Inzamam was the team captain at the time. So Inzamam won the series. It doesn't matter if he missed the first test and only drew the second. It's like saying Ganguly isn't the winning captain of the Pakistan tour because he only won one test.

Inzamam was not playing in the only game that his team won, so how did he "win" the series?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Inzamam was not playing in the only game that his team won, so how did he "win" the series?
Because he was the Pakistani cricket team's official captain for that series. Regardless of whether he played in that match or not, he was the captain. The Pakistani Cricket Board declares a captain and can change captains if it so desires. At that time, Inzamam was its captain. He was injured for the first test and Youhana was the stand-in captain. Do you think Inzamam had no input into that match? Did he go home and sit on his lazyboy recliner? No, he continued to captain for his team as Ganguly did for the first test match when he was in Multan. (He was back home in Kolkata for the second so he couldn't do it in Lahore. See how that went?) Pakistan won the series, and Inzamam as its captain, won it as well. If you want to say oh he didn't play so he couldn't have "won" the series, well then let's just add to the list of people who didn't "win" any batsmen who gets out for a duck or any bowlers who get an 0-fer cuz they didn't do anything for their team either. So in the end, the only "winners" are those who contributed directly to the victory. And so if you didn't play in the test, regardless of whether you were 12th man, on the 15-man squad, the official national captain, whatever, you can't be considered to have won the match. Good.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, because if they're in the 11 then they contribute - if not playing, they don't.

Pakistan beat South Africa under Youhana, so to say that it's an example of Inzy's captaincy being good is completely off the mark - he can derive absolutely no credit for it.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Lions81 said:
Do you think Inzamam had no input into that match? Did he go home and sit on his lazyboy recliner? No, he continued to captain for his team as Ganguly did for the first test match when he was in Multan.
Read what I write once in a while! This should take care of your concerns.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How can someone not on the field actively captain a side?

He can't, and to use a victory attained when he's not even playing as an example of his great captaincy smacks of desparation.

Coming next - Hussain gets the credit for England's win last night whilst Tendulkar is blamed for the defeat (although knowing some of the criticism of him on here, that's not unlikely!)

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:

He can't, and to use a victory attained when he's not even playing as an example of his great captaincy smacks of desparation.

Coming next - Hussain gets the credit for England's win last night whilst Tendulkar is blamed for the defeat (although knowing some of the criticism of him on here, that's not unlikely!)
1. I didn't say Inzamam was a great captain, in fact, he was 5th in my rankings, he is mediocre at best. But I was using the victory over South Africa to illustrate my point that he is a better captain than Graeme Smith.

2. So the only effects of captaincy are on the field? Once the umpires take the bails off, the players go home and the team doesn't interact until they take the field the next day? A captain has great influence on his team on and off the field. Inzamam was undoubtedly in the dressing room, passing strategies along and giving the team talks during lunch and tea breaks. He DEFINITELY influenced the outcome of that game.

Swervy

International Captain
Lions81 said:
1. I didn't say Inzamam was a great captain, in fact, he was 5th in my rankings, he is mediocre at best. But I was using the victory over South Africa to illustrate my point that he is a better captain than Graeme Smith.

Why do you think Smith is such a poor captain...he has impressed pretty much everyone I have heard or read. I think he is a good captain, who is taking SA from a bit of a dodgy time, and I can see this team being very strong under his leadership.

I even read today that Gary Kirsten says he has learnt a thing or two from Smith...high praise I think

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
But I was using the victory over South Africa to illustrate my point that he is a better captain than Graeme Smith.

He didn't even play in the game that Pakistan beat SA in, how does that make him better?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ford_GTHO351 said:
They (those captaincy stats) have relevance as it creates discussion.
They certainly did, and they're far more relevant than giving a bloke credit for captaining in a game he didn't even play...

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
They certainly did, and they're far more relevant than giving a bloke credit for captaining in a game he didn't even play...
Okay since you refuse to pay attention and follow logical arguments, let me change what I'm saying to match what you're saying.

Yousuf Youhana is a better captain than Graeme Smith. He beat South Africa in a test series. Happy now?

Deja moo

International Captain

Javed Miandad and his ball by ball instructions to the players on the field. You obviously didnt watch any of the ODIs between India and Pakistan.

Third ODI : yasir hameed spoons a catch to gully off a Pathan slower ball wide outside off stump when on 98.

After the match, yasir himself admitted to not heeding Miandads signalled warning before the ball was bowled . Miandad had signalled to him that Pathan would bowl the next ball as a slower one.

And Miandad did his signalling bit almost every ball of the match.

So , Miandad was de facto a non playing captain.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lions81 said:
Okay since you refuse to pay attention and follow logical arguments, let me change what I'm saying to match what you're saying.

Yousuf Youhana is a better captain than Graeme Smith. He beat South Africa in a test series. Happy now?
Pot, meet kettle

anzac

International Debutant
Lions81 said:
No, his bowlers just haven't performed. And Inzy did happen to beat Smith in Pakistan, so he can't be all too bad.
disregarding the debate as to whether Inzi did or didn't 'Captain' the team at the time...........

IMO the last 3 touring skippers to tour in NZ have all looked pretty ordinary - Ganguly, Inzamam & Smith so far as their Captaincy goes.........

Smith gets brownie points for winning the last test with his ton, but IMO that is a reflection of him as a batsman, rather than anything to do with his Captaincy - even the fact that the RSA bowlers tightened up and bowled a very good line & length has more to do with form / coaching & team tactics (an obvious one that NZ couldn't emulate), as opposed to any dynamic Captaincy on the field..........

:)