• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

hussain vs fleming?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed...Fleming took control of the test side in 1995/1996 & at that time NZ was lucky to win 1 test in every 15 or 20 tests.

ODI's has still been a mixed-bag but certainly when Fleming started to Captain the ODI side they were quite simply crap & used to fight out for the wooden spoon with Zimbabwe.

Now at this point, I expect that those statistics will improve for Fleming. Aside from stats, lets not forget that Fleming has lead NZ to a number of firsts in the last 3 or 4 years...Test series wins in England & West Indies. Knocking Australia out of the VB Series & recording their first ODI Series victory over South Africa. Not to mention the ICC Trophy win in Kenya back in 2000.

That may not sound such a big deal, but NZ didn't have the cricketing history that teams like England, South Africa, Australia etc had back between 1930 & 1980.

Deja moo

International Captain
talking like that suggests that Ganguly was with these players when they were young, personally trained and coached them,and single handedly selected these players...of course this was not the case
Actually he did single handedly select these players...Sehwag, Yuvraj ,Kaif , harbhajan , Balaji, would all be playing domestic cricket without hopes of any recall were it not for ganguly.

In World cricket ,only Imran Khan adn now Ganguyl have truly picked players .
Steve Waugh already had a team ready, and his job was purely to lead them on. Ganguly had to build a team from scratch after he was thrust the captaincy in the aftermath of the match fixing crisis.

Deja moo

International Captain
others yes but not balaji. if it werent for the spate of injuries i dont think ganguly would have ever picked him.
Balaji was played in a single ODi in the West Indies, then dropped for conceding 44 rusn in 4 overs.

While picking the backup bowlers for the Australia tour , it would have been the easiest thing to go with anyone else but Balaji.But ganguyl wanted Balaji.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
he chose salvi ahead of both pathan and balaji coz balaji wasnt in his plans(wasnt picked initially if you remember).

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Ganguly instilled a lot of self-belief and pride in his men.... that's something Indian sides of the past did not have.

You could see it in Australia in the tests -- particularly the way they fought back at Brisbane and Adelaide. India believed that they could beat
Australia (similar I guess to Fleming's men 2 years before) and they walked out with a much better result than everyone thought.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Hussain versus Fleming? Okay, Manchester United versus a village soccer team would be a closer. Fleming 100%.

Here's how I rank the current test captains (leaving out Taibu for obvious reasons and Bashar because it's not fair to count him)

1. Stephen Fleming, New Zealand - Makes the most out of the least. New Zealand's really underfunded and seems to have the least interest in cricket as a primary sport of the main test nations, but he's pulled off great things nevertheless. Great tactics and balls. He outthinks you before you step over the ropes.

2. Ricky Ponting, Australia - Phenomenal ODI captain, undefeated in Tests. A great tour of Sri Lanka, winning all three tests in Sri Lanka nowadays facing Muralitharan and company is so amazingly hard and they made it look easy. They even seemed to enjoy giving up first innings leads so their victories would come out looking all the better!

3. Sourav Ganguly, India - One of the greatest captains India's ever had. A tremendously polarizing figure, people tend to love or hate him, but no one can argue with the results he's produced. Daring attitude, he gets under people's skins really well and makes them overthink. He's even got the Australian test side under a jinx.

4. Michael Vaughan, England - His form's suffered greatly as captain, but you can't argue with results. The triumph in the Caribbean and the comeback at home versus South Africa has done much to restore pride in the English team and make them more popular in England.

5. Inzamam ul-Haq, Pakistan - Amazingly, the captaincy has seemed to make him a better batsman. Unfortunately, he's been screwed by factors out of his control, like the babyish behavior of his superstar fast bowler, Shoaib Akhtar and injuries, especially to Umar Gul. People say he's not that smart, but you know what, that's because people see him as fat, and it is a fact proven by psychological and sociological experiments that people associate stupidity and laziness with people who appear fat. Also people attribute his lack of English to lack of intelligence. Bull****! English doesn't have to be spoken by everyone.

6. Graeme Smith, South Africa - Got the captaincy too early and for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and after an initial good showing, he's demonstrating Bacher's foolishness. The crushing in New Zealand should cause some rethinking of South Africa's short-term and long-term strategies. There's too much talent there.

7. Brian Lara, West Indies - Phenomenal batsman, poor leader of men. See Tendulkar, Sachin.

8. Marvan Attapattu, Sri Lanka - He hasn't shown too much in ODIs, so who knows what he'll offer up in his maiden test as captain. Too bad he's got such tough competition for it...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If the All Blacks continue to bite the dust and NZ wins the cricket in England, the tide may shift.

Everyone is already sick of rugby in NZ after our poor showing in the Super 12. Rugby Commentators are bagging the hell out of the administration & suggesting they get lessons from NZ Cricket as to how to successfully run an organisation.

I reckon NZ just need 1 more year of ground breaking performances & they'll reap the rewards with the public big-time.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im sorry but having Inzi at #5 is an insult to Graeme Smith, because he isn't too bad.

Inzi would have to be one of the worst, if not the worst at on-field tactics & utilisation of bowlers..infact sometimes you wonder that he just throws the ball to any bowler at any time & hopes they do the business.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lions81 said:
Hussain versus Fleming? Okay, Manchester United versus a village soccer team would be a closer. Fleming 100%

I totally agree - I would back my local village football team likewise 100% and spit on Manchester United.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
I totally agree - I would back my local village football team likewise 100% and spit on Manchester United.
That's the point of my joke, that it's so absurd to compare a captain of Fleming's class to Hussain's. You can hope your village side will win, but unless your village side is Arsenal or Chelsea, I hope you've got sound investments elsewhere.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
Im sorry but having Inzi at #5 is an insult to Graeme Smith, because he isn't too bad.

Inzi would have to be one of the worst, if not the worst at on-field tactics & utilisation of bowlers..infact sometimes you wonder that he just throws the ball to any bowler at any time & hopes they do the business.
No, his bowlers just haven't performed. And Inzy did happen to beat Smith in Pakistan, so he can't be all too bad.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would back my local village football team likewise 100% and spit on Manchester United.
If the game was at Millwall, that would be a likely scenario...maybe with a few punches thrown too.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It will be Hussain for me. Naseer built this team, he won the series in Pakistan, drew in India and was graceful enough to quit after the loss. I think he is one of the better England Captains.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Erm no he didn't.

The series finished 1-0, Youhana skippered the win.
Okay, Inzamam was the team captain at the time. So Inzamam won the series. It doesn't matter if he missed the first test and only drew the second. It's like saying Ganguly isn't the winning captain of the Pakistan tour because he only won one test.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Sanz said:
It will be Hussain for me. Naseer built this team, he won the series in Pakistan, drew in India and was graceful enough to quit after the loss. I think he is one of the better England Captains.
Drew in India? You mean lost in India right? He drew at home.