• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Y10k

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
A sweep shot to fine leg boundary. Could not have scripted it better.

Highest run scorer for Pakistan
First Pakistani to get 10K.
Only Pakistnai with a Test 100 against every other Test playing nation
Only Batsman in the world with a Test 100 in 11 Nations that have hosted Tests

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As he was approaching this yesterday the commentator on Sky said he wasn't particularly gifted but had made the most of his limitations. I'm not sure I entirely agree with that assessment. They also did some nonsense calculation to work out how many runs he would have got if Pakistan played Test Cricket more regularly like England or Australia. Talk about strangling all joy out of everything. :balloon:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's officially 39 but supposedly he's closer to 41. Greatest 40 year old batsman ever. To be as good as he is 17 years into his career is ridiculous.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Best Pakistan batsmen afaik, there have been others who were more gifted maybe, but he has preserved better and scored runs everywhere. Equal of Dravid imo.

OverratedSanity

I think a very strong argument can be made for him over Miandad/Dravid/Waugh/Kallis. Most definitely at that level at worst.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Solid. No other word comes to mind so prominently. Classical shots. Perhaps the last of those who play that way. Even Williamson is less classical.

Daemon

Never realised he averages 50 in both Australia and England. That's really impressive.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pakistanis having fake IDs that say they are younger than they really are must be something to do with them not drinking

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think a very strong argument can be made for him over Miandad/Dravid/Waugh/Kallis. Most definitely at that level at worst.

I think he is surely at that level. Individual rankings within that level may and will probably vary based on personal preferences but he is surely up there in that second tier of ATG batsman. What a career and what a way to signoff. Kinda how Murali signed off with 800 wickets.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man, I wish posters would at least have the decency to congratulate the man on his achievement first in this thread and hopefully save the comparisons for later. I know OS did not intend it to go this way but damn you man.. You should know better than to bring up comparisons in a thread congratulating a player on some achievement. We are not even into page 2 and already debates and comparisons have started. :laugh:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Congratulations to a magnificent player, gutsy fighter, and true gentleman. I think YK's great test batsmanship doesn't get properly recognised partly because his ODI batting record is pretty mediocre when compared with his contemporaries. It shouldn't, but I think it is a factor.

He is the only member of the 10K club with more test 100s than 50s. Being able to cash in on starts is a great thing.

The only others in the 5K club to have achieved it are Azha, M Clarke, Hayden and Bradman ( hardly surprisingly), while Steve Smith currently has the same number (20 of each).

Records | Test matches | Batting records | Most runs in career | ESPN Cricinfo