• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

At long last ! A series win abroad.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
As I write, the last Pakistani wicket falls.

Ganguly's men create history by becoming the first Indian team to win a test
series in Pakistan.
Also, it is the first series win abroad for India in 11 years.

Great achievement for a team that's been slowing but definitely improving overseas
over the last three years.
John Wright/Andrew Leipus/Greg King/ Saurav Ganguly (yes the much maligned Ganguly) take a bow !

Salamuddin

International Debutant
jamesryfler said:
As I write, the last Pakistani wicket falls.

Ganguly's men create history by becoming the first Indian team to win a test
series in Pakistan.
Also, it is the first series win abroad for India in 11 years.

Great achievement for a team that's been slowing but definitely improving overseas
over the last three years.
John Wright/Andrew Leipus/Greg King/ Saurav Ganguly (yes the much maligned Ganguly) take a bow !
Fitting in a way that Sachin Tendulkar took the last wicket. He will feel the enormity of the occasion probably more than most given that he has played in some of India's most disappointing tests abroad e.g Bridgetown 97 and Wellington 1998.

masterblaster

International Captain
As I said on the other thread:

"Oh, its absolutely superb from an Indian fan's point of view.

It just doesn't get any better than this. A series win against Pakistan on Pakistani soil.

After all the flamebait, after all the mudslinging, after all the competition, after all the love between the two countries, after all the Pakistani Hospitality, after all the affection shown by the Pakistani people and the PCB.

After Everything,

WE ARE THE WINNERS!

Boy it sure does feel good.

We still have a long way to go, but with this team, we're just getting started!"

And I do believe that, this team is special, and hopefully a lot of young players like Yuvraj, Balaji, Irfan Pathan and Patel will be part of this Indian team in years to come.

We need a fit Yuvraj, Balaji and Pathan to beat South Africa in South Africa and England in England.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Fitting in a way that Sachin Tendulkar took the last wicket.
and that the captain ganguly took the catch..

Awesome win for the indian team and hard work and strong effort from the team on the whole to get the much deserving victory.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well deserved.

World cricket is slowly but surely becoming competitive again , there was a period during the late 1990's - early 2000's when South Africa looked like the only team capable of beating Australia outside the subcontinent...and even they copped a hammering.

Now India have a bullet-proof batting lineup & several talented young seamers (ok I'll admit I was wrong about Balaji , he's certainly improved alot since his 0/44 on debut , still not McGrath but he's got some ability).

England are starting to find their feet with their own upcoming crop of seamers & a strong batting lineup.

And the Kiwi's have also delivered some promising results lately , its now at a stage where 4 teams could conveivably challenge Australia for the number 1 position.

Sudeep

International Captain
It's a great moment for us. We have beaten Pakistan on their own soil. It can't get any better than this.

However, speaking this, I would still acknowledge the fact that we are number 2, and miles behind Australia. With this series victory, we have cemented a number 2 spot. I am pretty sure, that if all the players perform to their abilities, we can beat South Africa and England in their own backyards, as Sangrah said.

But I still think the Aussies are way too ahead. Yes, we did have a 1-1 result against them, but I am not sure that we can consistently challenge them. There are some aspects of Indian cricket, which unfortunately, are too instrumental in us being number 2 and not number 1.

But, anyways, let's enjoy the moment, the boys have done the country proud. And they deserves all the accolades that come their way!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would disagree with this 1 series confirming India as number 2 - they have still not done the business consistently, and Pakistan are a notoriously inconsistent side.

If they can build on this then yes they might be ranked number 2, but there's still a lot of questions to be answered first.

iamdavid

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
I would disagree with this 1 series confirming India as number 2 - they have still not done the business consistently, and Pakistan are a notoriously inconsistent side.

If they can build on this then yes they might be ranked number 2, but there's still a lot of questions to be answered first.

I'd have to agree , IMO there are 4 sides challenging for that number 2 spot (England , South Africa , New Zealand & India) , to be fair South Africa must hold it ATM.

On paper a 1-1 draw against Australia & a win against the inconsistent pakistanis isnt enough , but the way India have played lately certainly suggests they are capable , the players they have discovered during this period have certainly been cause for optimism , who would've guessed at this stage last year that Pathan & Balaji would be opening the bowling for India , while Srinath , AA & Khan were all out of the side for various reasons.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
But I still think the Aussies are way too ahead. Yes, we did have a 1-1 result against them, but I am not sure that we can consistently challenge them. There are some aspects of Indian cricket, which unfortunately, are too instrumental in us being number 2 and not number 1.
The wicketkeeping issue is not yet settled- Parthiv Patel is not as good a batsman as a top-6 bat , nor is he as good a keeper as someone from Baroda who's still trying to prove that he's good enough to make the team. He has a lot to learn, but it should be in the A-team or in domestic matches. Besides, there are 4 wicketkeepers who are as good, if not far better than him, who have not got a fair try. Even at 34, the old hero has a lot left in him.

Beisdes, there are 3 bowlers who have shown some skill with the bat. This should be used well, and not let go, as was the case with Kumble, Srinath and Joshi- they were good batsmen, but nobody (them included) helped improve their bating and as of now, none of them are capable of batting. This should not happen to Powar, Pathan and Balaji. They should be given enough opportunities to bat and they should take it. Places as high as 7/8 will help. No point leaving their skills unused at 9/10/11. The same can be said about Sehwag's bowling- no point letting it develop into part-time rubbish, he should be used as a regular stock bowler.

There is still the need for a fast bowler who can bowl at express pace- at least one. No, not just some Harmison, Jones or Butler who bowls fast but can't do anything right, but one of India's best fast bowlers who can bowl at that pace and still be of some use, someone like Brett Lee. Such bowlers are always a threat, even on flat pitches, like Shoaib Akhtar. That he bowled rubbish was a different matter.

Are Indian spinners getting a raw deal? Ganguly has been a good captain, a good motivator and backer, but he has handled the spinners like they're not with him. That's why the Indian team is in danger of losing a lot of good, talented spinners who can help the team take those extra wickets when needed. After all, a lot of Indian victories, home and away, have been won by spinners. Pace has never really been the team's main strength, so this needs to be looked at. That said, Pathan and Balaji have performed rather well. Pathan may not yet be a Wasim Akram, but when used well, can develop into an all-rounder that the team needs rather urgently. Balaji has proved to be far better than all the Blessing Mahwires and Khaled Mahmuds of international cricket and he too can be a useful lower order batsman.

Srinath , AA & Khan were all out of the side for various reasons.
Probably one of the better things that have happened. The real worry is Zaheer, who is a very good bowler when fully fit, and when he makes good use of his ability. In mid-2002, he was in good form and it carried on to the World Cup, but that final has ruined his bowling a great deal and he's trying to be a tearaway quick, when he isn't . That's why Indian bowling has sufered a great deal. He has to stay 100% fit for a long time- it does not matter how much better a 50%fit player is than a 100%fit player on the bench- if he's 50%fit, he's not good enough. He has to improve his fielding as well. He has been one of the team's better bowlers and his return to form is necessary.

Also, credit should go to Rahul Dravid who did qutie a good job as a captain, when needed. With Ganguly's injuries getting more frequent, he will have a key role to play as a captain more often.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Arjun said:
There is still the need for a fast bowler who can bowl at express pace- at least one. No, not just some Harmison, Jones or Butler who bowls fast but can't do anything right, but one of India's best fast bowlers who can bowl at that pace and still be of some use, someone like Brett Lee.
Yes, Lee's useful whilst Harmison is useless. Clearly, the last year didn't happen.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pah...

Give it two years and the whole bunch will be "useless" and "shameful" and "drop Tendulkar"....

Same old same old all the time...

|llsToNe

Cricket Spectator
I'd agree with SA, NZ and Ind challenging for 2nd but I can't quite put Eng in that tier at this point.. I think they're in the next one with Pak, WI at the moment.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Arjun said:
The wicketkeeping issue is not yet settled- Parthiv Patel is not as good a batsman as a top-6 bat , nor is he as good a keeper as someone from Baroda who's still trying to prove that he's good enough to make the team. He has a lot to learn, but it should be in the A-team or in domestic matches. Besides, there are 4 wicketkeepers who are as good, if not far better than him, who have not got a fair try. Even at 34, the old hero has a lot left in him.

Beisdes, there are 3 bowlers who have shown some skill with the bat. This should be used well, and not let go, as was the case with Kumble, Srinath and Joshi- they were good batsmen, but nobody (them included) helped improve their bating and as of now, none of them are capable of batting. This should not happen to Powar, Pathan and Balaji. They should be given enough opportunities to bat and they should take it. Places as high as 7/8 will help. No point leaving their skills unused at 9/10/11. The same can be said about Sehwag's bowling- no point letting it develop into part-time rubbish, he should be used as a regular stock bowler.

There is still the need for a fast bowler who can bowl at express pace- at least one. No, not just some Harmison, Jones or Butler who bowls fast but can't do anything right, but one of India's best fast bowlers who can bowl at that pace and still be of some use, someone like Brett Lee. Such bowlers are always a threat, even on flat pitches, like Shoaib Akhtar. That he bowled rubbish was a different matter.

Are Indian spinners getting a raw deal? Ganguly has been a good captain, a good motivator and backer, but he has handled the spinners like they're not with him. That's why the Indian team is in danger of losing a lot of good, talented spinners who can help the team take those extra wickets when needed. After all, a lot of Indian victories, home and away, have been won by spinners. Pace has never really been the team's main strength, so this needs to be looked at. That said, Pathan and Balaji have performed rather well. Pathan may not yet be a Wasim Akram, but when used well, can develop into an all-rounder that the team needs rather urgently. Balaji has proved to be far better than all the Blessing Mahwires and Khaled Mahmuds of international cricket and he too can be a useful lower order batsman.

Probably one of the better things that have happened. The real worry is Zaheer, who is a very good bowler when fully fit, and when he makes good use of his ability. In mid-2002, he was in good form and it carried on to the World Cup, but that final has ruined his bowling a great deal and he's trying to be a tearaway quick, when he isn't . That's why Indian bowling has sufered a great deal. He has to stay 100% fit for a long time- it does not matter how much better a 50%fit player is than a 100%fit player on the bench- if he's 50%fit, he's not good enough. He has to improve his fielding as well. He has been one of the team's better bowlers and his return to form is necessary.

Also, credit should go to Rahul Dravid who did qutie a good job as a captain, when needed. With Ganguly's injuries getting more frequent, he will have a key role to play as a captain more often.
I really think you need to get over Nayan Mongia......he's not going to play for India again so there's no point bringing his name up.

Also, Lee over harmison ? I don't think so...... It amazes me how many people on this board actually think Lee is a good test bowler.

masterblaster

International Captain
Agreed mate, Nayan Mongia is long gone.
I dont think India need an express bowler. Sami and Shoaib didn't exactly set the world on fire did they?

It was a Balaji/Pathan type bowler in Umar Gul who did all the damage. Its line and length and swing that wins over pace anyday.

chicane

State Captain
masterblaster said:
Agreed mate, Nayan Mongia is long gone.
I dont think India need an express bowler. Sami and Shoaib didn't exactly set the world on fire did they?

It was a Balaji/Pathan type bowler in Umar Gul who did all the damage. Its line and length and swing that wins over pace anyday.
India definitely needs an express bowler. Shoaib was definitely distracted by a few things and in the first two tests and most odi's he looked completely out of focus. An express bowler partnered by some good line,length and swing bowlers forms a lethal combo..and that's the only missing link in India's bowling dept.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Did Arjun hibernate through the last year?
Except for this current series, he was not really convincing. Besides, you can now include Brett Lee in that list.