Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At long last ! A series win abroad.

Cricket Spectator
    I'd agree with SA, NZ and Ind challenging for 2nd but I can't quite put Eng in that tier at this point.. I think they're in the next one with Pak, WI at the moment.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun
    The wicketkeeping issue is not yet settled- Parthiv Patel is not as good a batsman as a top-6 bat , nor is he as good a keeper as someone from Baroda who's still trying to prove that he's good enough to make the team. He has a lot to learn, but it should be in the A-team or in domestic matches. Besides, there are 4 wicketkeepers who are as good, if not far better than him, who have not got a fair try. Even at 34, the old hero has a lot left in him.

Beisdes, there are 3 bowlers who have shown some skill with the bat. This should be used well, and not let go, as was the case with Kumble, Srinath and Joshi- they were good batsmen, but nobody (them included) helped improve their bating and as of now, none of them are capable of batting. This should not happen to Powar, Pathan and Balaji. They should be given enough opportunities to bat and they should take it. Places as high as 7/8 will help. No point leaving their skills unused at 9/10/11. The same can be said about Sehwag's bowling- no point letting it develop into part-time rubbish, he should be used as a regular stock bowler.

There is still the need for a fast bowler who can bowl at express pace- at least one. No, not just some Harmison, Jones or Butler who bowls fast but can't do anything right, but one of India's best fast bowlers who can bowl at that pace and still be of some use, someone like Brett Lee. Such bowlers are always a threat, even on flat pitches, like Shoaib Akhtar. That he bowled rubbish was a different matter.

Are Indian spinners getting a raw deal? Ganguly has been a good captain, a good motivator and backer, but he has handled the spinners like they're not with him. That's why the Indian team is in danger of losing a lot of good, talented spinners who can help the team take those extra wickets when needed. After all, a lot of Indian victories, home and away, have been won by spinners. Pace has never really been the team's main strength, so this needs to be looked at. That said, Pathan and Balaji have performed rather well. Pathan may not yet be a Wasim Akram, but when used well, can develop into an all-rounder that the team needs rather urgently. Balaji has proved to be far better than all the Blessing Mahwires and Khaled Mahmuds of international cricket and he too can be a useful lower order batsman.

Probably one of the better things that have happened. The real worry is Zaheer, who is a very good bowler when fully fit, and when he makes good use of his ability. In mid-2002, he was in good form and it carried on to the World Cup, but that final has ruined his bowling a great deal and he's trying to be a tearaway quick, when he isn't . That's why Indian bowling has sufered a great deal. He has to stay 100% fit for a long time- it does not matter how much better a 50%fit player is than a 100%fit player on the bench- if he's 50%fit, he's not good enough. He has to improve his fielding as well. He has been one of the team's better bowlers and his return to form is necessary.

Also, credit should go to Rahul Dravid who did qutie a good job as a captain, when needed. With Ganguly's injuries getting more frequent, he will have a key role to play as a captain more often.
    I really think you need to get over Nayan Mongia......he's not going to play for India again so there's no point bringing his name up.

Also, Lee over harmison ? I don't think so...... It amazes me how many people on this board actually think Lee is a good test bowler.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Agreed mate, Nayan Mongia is long gone.
    I dont think India need an express bowler. Sami and Shoaib didn't exactly set the world on fire did they?

It was a Balaji/Pathan type bowler in Umar Gul who did all the damage. Its line and length and swing that wins over pace anyday.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster
    Agreed mate, Nayan Mongia is long gone.
    I dont think India need an express bowler. Sami and Shoaib didn't exactly set the world on fire did they?

It was a Balaji/Pathan type bowler in Umar Gul who did all the damage. Its line and length and swing that wins over pace anyday.
    India definitely needs an express bowler. Shoaib was definitely distracted by a few things and in the first two tests and most odi's he looked completely out of focus. An express bowler partnered by some good line,length and swing bowlers forms a lethal combo..and that's the only missing link in India's bowling dept.
    You talking to IR?

Did Arjun hibernate through the last year?
    Except for this current series, he was not really convincing. Besides, you can now include Brett Lee in that list.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

I really think you need to get over Nayan Mongia......he's not going to play for India again so there's no point bringing his name up.
    Why not? So what if he's old? It's the quality of wicketkeeping that matters.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    well played india for winning the series

however, the biggest positives to come out of this series was the emergence of a good fast bowling trio for india in pathan, balaji and nehra. 2 years, ago nobody expected india to have one of the best fast-bowling attacks in the world, but india has. this tells, all cricket fans something that you cant predict what will happen in cricket, after one year even.

coming back, in pathan and balaji, we have 2 excellent swing bowlers with both the bowlers having a good yorker and best of all, both the bowlers are quick learners. it is said that fast bowlers hunt in pairs, and in pathan and balaji, there is a excellent fast bowling pair for india. in nehra, there is a good 3rd seamer as well who can keep things tight.

besides the young fast bowlers, there is also kumble, who seems to be a different bowler from what he was. he has taken 39 wickets in his last 6 tests in alien conditions and is now giving bowlers like murali and warne competition and IMO he ranks right up there with the two.

also, this looks to be the best indian team ever. the batting is also stronger than ever with bengal tiger, the wall, very very special, master blaster, delhi dasher and sher-e-punjab.

going by the performances, it looks like that the india-austrlia test series later this year will decide whos the better team. currently, i cant say india as no.1 as that belongs to australia, who havent lost any series outside the sub-continent for atleast the last 5 years. the only series they have lost in these 5 years have been to teams like india and sri lanka in the sub-continent.
    Member of the IPAS (Irfan Pathan Appreciation Society)

Founder of the LBAS (Laxmipathy Balaji Appreciation Society) - Anybody want to join it ?

==========================
    Cricket Web "Blue" team member
    ==========================

MSN - bhoothnath@india.com - add me :)

Okay, forget Nayan Mongia. He has 0% chance of making a comeback so let's focus on players who could play for India. Patel deserves to keep his spot, bt Karthik's knocking on the door. Hopefully this'll force Patel to work on his keeping, and continue to improve his batting.

And most definitely India need a pace bowler who can bowl 150 kph or higher. I'm not 100% convinced about Balaji or Nehra in tests, Zaheer breaks down every five minutes and aside from that one innings in Adelaide, Agarkar hasn't shown me much either. Even Pathan is too new to really depend on. One series in which Pathan does poorly will cause everyone to turn on him, so we definitely cannot stand pat as it is. A real new-ball bowler, someone like Akhtar or Ntini and -laugh if you want- Brett Lee, is a requirement for the top teams nowadays. Just because Lee carted India around doesn't mean he's a bad bowler. His role in the Australian team has just been shifted around so much, one test he's the spearhead, another he's first change, that it's hard for him to identify himself. Anyone who can bowl at 155 kph and can aim it at the stumps some of the time is gold.
    Head of Public Relations for the Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society (AAAS)

My duties include explaining why he is so good when he does something good and making excuses for him when he does something bad. I also provide Thums Up.

U19 Debutant
    And most definitely India need a pace bowler who can bowl 150 kph or higher
    that doesnt look like its gonna happen for a long time. I guess the closest it can get to is munaf patel.
    nehra as a first change bowler isnt too bad. but gets injured too often just like every other international pacers these days. maybe he and zaheer can alternate.
    balaji had a good series but i cant help but wonder what he'd be like on flat tracks. could be easy pick for batsman.
    hopefully salvi can break into the team sooner. after all he was picked ahead of pathan and balaji for the aus tour.

Nayan Mongia is history now and he should never be selected to play for India again. Parthiv is a good prospect and his wicket keeping has improved. He should be given time to work on his short comings and he will serve India for long long time.

India doesn't need superfast bowlers, we need good bowlers.

India may have won the test series but there is a reason why we are still at no. 4. England beat WI in WI, We couldn't, We lost to SA at home and away. SA is visiting India this year and we have a chance to improve our rating until then we should be happy with the No. 4 position despite not winning abroad for almost a decade.

[QUOTE=Sanz]India doesn't need superfast bowlers, we need good bowlers.
    QUOTE]

India needs a good superfast bowler

^ That's your opinion - I would rather have a Great Bowler like Glenn Mcgrath, playing for India for 7-8 years without getting injured, than having an Akhtar, Bond or Lee who are not able to play one full series. These guys are a liabilty on any team.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information