• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fastest Bowler Ever

Fastest bowler ever

• Jeff Thompson

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Micheal Holding

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Harold Larwood

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Dennis Lille

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brett Lee

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Shoiab Akhtar

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Frank Tyson

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other-Sate who

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
iamdavid said:
Australia's best know cricket magazine Inside Edge actually tried that back in 2001 & they published some interesting results , apparently they calculated Frank Tyson to have been around 136kph (Andy Bichel pace) , which is interesting as everyone back then said he was teh quickest they'd ever seen.
But its obviously got its flaws otherwise everyone would be doing it.
Thats very interesting. I remember reading that Larwood was timed at 96mph on the 1928/29 Ashes tour, which is more than 136kph, yet almost everyone who saw both bowlers thought tyson was the quicker bowler. :wacko:

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
CDAK said:
shoib akthar... no doubt. I don't rely on the hearsays regarding this topic.
Interesting you should say that.

1. The technology for measuring the speed of a cricket ball has been around for 5-10 years
2. It still doesn't work (witness the Sami 101.6mph ball, the guy getting a speeding ticket for doing 2000 mph etc a few weeks ago).

Not a lot to go on, is it?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Thats very interesting. I remember reading that Larwood was timed at 96mph on the 1928/29 Ashes tour, with is more than 136kph, yet almost everyone who saw both bowlers thought tyson was the quicker bowler. :wacko:
Again, it's because the average speed was determined, not the release speed, which is what the radar gun measures.

strongest80

Cricket Spectator
I highly doubt Jeff Thompson was the quickest. When the Master Blaster Viv Richards was asked the same question after a test match between pakistan and west indies in guyana. He was quoted as saying Wasim Akram was the fastest bowler he has ever faced and then went on to say even quicker then andy (roberts). So a man of Viv's stature who has faced bowlers from the 70s and 80s say that id rather believe him.

After the game in Bribane in the Vb series in 96/97 as i remember. Brian lara said that mohammad zahid of pakistan was the quickest bowler he has ever faced. Even quicker then Waqar Younis and Ian Bishop.

As far as the competiion between Shoaib and thommo. I believe shoaib as well as lee are quicker then thommo. id rather believe in speed guns of today rather then speed guns of the pre historic times. i have seen thommo in action and i dont think he was as fast as shoaib and lee. Thompson (wayward and overated speed king lol) was on level terms just on speed with the great malcolm marshall and the great allan donald.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Fastest Bowler ever

I wonder if the television images of all the fastest bowlers footages particularly when they delivered their fastest balls were analysed with todays technology (in some 3 dimensional format) how many of them would turnout to be chuckers ? and what degrees of straightening etc. ? Sounds like an interesting phD thesis for an interested mathematician/scientist. My personal opinion is most of them would be found to be chucking (to varying degrees). May be the title should be Fastest Chucker ever. :D

Swervy

International Captain
strongest80 said:
I highly doubt Jeff Thompson was the quickest. When the Master Blaster Viv Richards was asked the same question after a test match between pakistan and west indies in guyana. He was quoted as saying Wasim Akram was the fastest bowler he has ever faced and then went on to say even quicker then andy (roberts). So a man of Viv's stature who has faced bowlers from the 70s and 80s say that id rather believe him.

After the game in Bribane in the Vb series in 96/97 as i remember. Brian lara said that mohammad zahid of pakistan was the quickest bowler he has ever faced. Even quicker then Waqar Younis and Ian Bishop.

As far as the competiion between Shoaib and thommo. I believe shoaib as well as lee are quicker then thommo. id rather believe in speed guns of today rather then speed guns of the pre historic times. i have seen thommo in action and i dont think he was as fast as shoaib and lee. Thompson (wayward and overated speed king lol) was on level terms just on speed with the great malcolm marshall and the great allan donald.
Richards never played vs Akram in Guyana..i am just trying to establish when Richards said that

Akram was one of those skiddy types of bowlers, where the impression given is that the ball doesnt lose that much pace off the pitch.Thomo was more of a bang it in bowler.

Just from the footage i have seen of Thomson in his prime (mid 70's pre injury),i would be confident in saying he was faster than Donald,Akram and most certainly Andy Roberts.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
strongest80 said:
id rather believe in speed guns of today rather then speed guns of the pre historic times.

I personally wouldn't trust any of them implicitly.

There's too many dubious readings still being produced IMO.