• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Zimbabwean International Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
It's not the ECB's fault - it's a combination of Government and ICC inaction leaving the ECB between Hell and High Water.
Sorry, Should have made it clearer.. Ive got a lot more respect for the ECB than the ICC... I meant the ICC during my rantings 8-)

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Well, England touring Zimbabwe does get a lot more English journalists down there to report firsthand and from eyewitness accounts on the disgusting things going down there, so maybe some good can come of it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
It's not the ECB's fault - it's a combination of Government and ICC inaction leaving the ECB between Hell and High Water.
From 20 February this year, the EU renewed targeted sanctions against the Mugabe regime. Now, I've tried to determine what the said 'sanctions' are, but apart from a banning of certain politicians, it doesn't seem to add up to much at all.

The sanctions were originally imposed by the European Union two years before in answer to a plea from Britain. They amounted to freezing certain Zanu PF accounts and placing restrictions on travel, but from a practical perspective, little else.

Because the sanctions do not involve trade, any banning of the cricket tour by the UK government could be construed as a restraint of trade, and would in all likelihood lead to the government ending up before the European Court.

Of course, if Britain could persuade the EC to extend sanctions against Zimbabwe to trade and sporting links, then there would be a possibility of calling off the tour without penalty.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lions81 said:
Well, England touring Zimbabwe does get a lot more English journalists down there to report firsthand and from eyewitness accounts on the disgusting things going down there, so maybe some good can come of it.
That could be a problem.

One Daily Telegraph reporter turned up to report on Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka and was promptly ******ed back to the airport and placed on the next flight to South Africa.

Apparently his papers were not in order - he hadn't made his application 28 days in advance. Nor had anyone else (no journalist ever does, because 'news' cannot normally be planned a month in advance) - yet Mihir Bose was the only one chucked out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:

Except they're not allowed to see that side as that wouldn't be reporting on what they're let into the country to report on.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Except they're not allowed to see that side as that wouldn't be reporting on what they're let into the country to report on.
Any English reporters actually allowed in will be ******ed to and fro between the venues and their hotels.

Funnily enough, there will be no-one from the BBC (still in my opinion the world's greatest and most impartial source of news) as that organisation was banned from Zimbabwe in 2002.

KANYE WEST

Cricket Spectator
re:rip zimbabwean cricket

well i am saddened by this but hey look people most of you sound racist even in the press nobody will ever admit that a black player is good dont get me wrong i love all the zim cricketers but dont you want to give this black squad a chance i personally grew up with half of the black players and we were brought up to belive that cricket was a gentlemen's sport by the late p.shaples and i belive if we stop looking at the color and just enjoy the game...go TIBA,STUWWY,DOUGGYand LISTER BULLDOGS TILL WE DIE...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
KANYE WEST said:
well i am saddened by this but hey look people most of you sound racist even in the press nobody will ever admit that a black player is good dont get me wrong i love all the zim cricketers but dont you want to give this black squad a chance i personally grew up with half of the black players and we were brought up to belive that cricket was a gentlemen's sport by the late p.shaples and i belive if we stop looking at the color and just enjoy the game...go TIBA,STUWWY,DOUGGYand LISTER BULLDOGS TILL WE DIE...
I have been very consistent about this matter - and I am saddened that you think that being concerned over the action that the Zanu PF Cricket Union have taken is being racist.

I have gone on record as saying that the action that Henry Olonga and Andy Flower took during WC2003 was possibly the bravest thing I had ever seen in international cricket - and if you think that is being racist then so be it.

I asked before - is it possible for white people to be affected by racism? People who support the ZCU position keep avoiding that question.

Joshua Nkomo must be turning in his grave to see what his one-time revolutionary colleague has done to Zimbabwe.

Edit: Just to clarify matters, I don't care if Zimbabwe play 11 blacks, 11 whites, 11 greens or players sporting stripes. Just as long as the players are picked on ability (OK, allow a little leeway with regard to positive discrimination to help encourage young non-whites to take up the sport, as they did in South Africa) by a non-political selection board. Anything else is an affront to democracy.

Last edited:

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
I asked before - is it possible for white people to be affected by racism?

Ok here's the answer: No. White people cannot be discriminated against because they're white. Want to know why? Because they've got all the power and money all over the world. They've colonized countless countries, massacred millions of people, brought disease and famine all around the world, and then they point to a couple of miles of railroad they built as their good deed for the day. As the United States Supreme Court recently affirmed regarding affirmative action, the distribution of power, wealth and influence being as it is in society, whites cannot be pro forma discriminated against. Sorry Eddie, I'll take my Supreme Court's opinion over your's any day of the week.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lions81 said:
Ok here's the answer: No. White people cannot be discriminated against because they're white. Want to know why? Because they've got all the power and money all over the world. They've colonized countless countries, massacred millions of people, brought disease and famine all around the world, and then they point to a couple of miles of railroad they built as their good deed for the day. As the United States Supreme Court recently affirmed regarding affirmative action, the distribution of power, wealth and influence being as it is in society, whites cannot be pro forma discriminated against. Sorry Eddie, I'll take my Supreme Court's opinion over your's any day of the week.
I am well aware of the decision made in the US Supreme Court in June 2003, and well aware of the nonsense which many white Americans were spewing at the time - but we're not just talking about affirmative action.

Funnily enough, the racism issue has raised its ugle head in the UK again today over the idiot utterances of a former football manager turned TV pundit, unaware that a microphone was still switched on whilst he spewed forth a racist tirade against a black Frenchman (and his words were nothing to do with being French).

Speaking of the French, do you hold with the US coming up with their 'cheese-eating etc etc' against the French? Yes, I am changing the subject. Do you know why? This statement...

Because they've got all the power and money all over the world. They've colonized countless countries, massacred millions of people, brought disease and famine all around the world, and then they point to a couple of miles of railroad they built as their good deed for the day.

You make me sick

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
I am well aware of the decision made in the US Supreme Court in June 2003, and well aware of the nonsense which many white Americans were spewing at the time - but we're not just talking about affirmative action.

Funnily enough, the racism issue has raised its ugle head in the UK again today over the idiot utterances of a former football manager turned TV pundit, unaware that a microphone was still switched on whilst he spewed forth a racist tirade against a black Frenchman (and his words were nothing to do with being French).

Speaking of the French, do you hold with the US coming up with their 'cheese-eating etc etc' against the French? Yes, I am changing the subject. Do you know why? This statement...

Because they've got all the power and money all over the world. They've colonized countless countries, massacred millions of people, brought disease and famine all around the world, and then they point to a couple of miles of railroad they built as their good deed for the day.

You make me sick
Eddie, look around your country. See the nice buildings, the shiny automobiles, the fancy clothing? You can thank my ancestors for that.

YOU brought up the race card, whining and moaning that a few whites were having their farms taken away. Until then, people hadn't broached the subject. Do you know why? Because white people can't win that argument. They can't come anywhere close to it even. Because we remember the past.

I'm not a racist. I live in a white country, the U.S., I'm a citizen, born and raised, and if I'm called to war, I will proudly serve and do whatever my country tells me to. The vast majority of my friends are white, and my girlfriend is even white. So you can think I hate white people, it's really no skin off my nose. But what does bother me is if you think that by adapting some morally pseudo-higher position and acting like you're aghast that someone dare call into memory what your ancestors did to my people (counting all of South Asia), to the people of the West Indies, to the people of Africa, to the people of Australia and New Zealand, then you're a mistaken man indeed.

The clear reality is that you are the racist. You seemingly deny the atrocities your people committed against generation after generation of indigneous peoples. You robbed my country of its wealth, of its population - making them slaves for you all over the world - and sapped us of our spirit, and now you dare to throw your hands up and be shocked when it's thrown back in your face? How, praytell, did those white farmers end up in Zimbabwe? Did they immigrate there? Did they move in and happily assimilate themselves? Or did they conquer an African kingdom, enslave its people, name it Rhodesia, and rob it of its beauty, its splendor and its lifeblood? I know the answer to that, so do persons of reasonable mind. Do you?

Moderators, if you wish me to leave, I will. It's clear my presence here is no longer wanted, least of all by LuckyEddie, and you guys have a really great thing going here, and I don't want to mess your stuff up. So please just give me the word, and I will take off. Thank you for the opportunities you've given me already to post what I think. Thanks.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Lions81 said:

The clear reality is that you are the racist. You seemingly deny the atrocities your people committed against generation after generation of indigneous peoples. You robbed my country of its wealth, of its population - making them slaves for you all over the world - and sapped us of our spirit, and now you dare to throw your hands up and be shocked when it's thrown back in your face? How, praytell, did those white farmers end up in Zimbabwe? Did they immigrate there? Did they move in and happily assimilate themselves? Or did they conquer an African kingdom, enslave its people, name it Rhodesia, and rob it of its beauty, its splendor and its lifeblood? I know the answer to that, so do persons of reasonable mind. Do you?

Moderators, if you wish me to leave, I will. It's clear my presence here is no longer wanted, least of all by LuckyEddie, and you guys have a really great thing going here, and I don't want to mess your stuff up. So please just give me the word, and I will take off. Thank you for the opportunities you've given me already to post what I think. Thanks.
OMG this is getting out of hand. The thread needs closing.

Lions81 said:
Do you know how many civilizations there are on this planet that haven't committed some kind of gross racial atrocity? There's about 3; the Aborigines, the Kalahari bushmen, and one other whose name escapes me. So unless you're a Kalahari bushman then shut up. It's not as though your history is all fairy floss and candy, you deluded fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.