• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Zimbabwean International Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
Don't hide behind conjecture and innuendo. Come out and say what you mean.

You have claimed to be playing the 'Devil's Advocate' card a couple times in this thread, but it is a very narrow line behind taking a juxtaposed position in order to stimulate debate and quite deliberate trolling. Which is it?

The third alternative, of course, is that you genuinely believe what you are saying - and there could be a couple of reasons for that too.

a) It's about time poor whitey got his just desserts.
b) You are really Robert Mugabe and a) above still applies.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.
Lucky Eddie, you got me! I am in fact Robert Mugabe.

But honestly, I have no interest in seeing whitey get his just desserts, as I have much better things to concern myself with, though as an Indian who has to live with the legacy of being colonized and enslaved, I wouldn't lift a finger to stop it from happening. If that's what you wanted to hear, there you have it, but that doesn't delegitimize my right to question the reaction regarding the Zimbabwe situation. Have you heard or seen anybody even try to defend the ZCU? More people defended the evil Nazis and Soviets.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lions81 said:

But honestly, I have no interest in seeing whitey get his just desserts, as I have much better things to concern myself with, though as an Indian who has to live with the legacy of being colonized and enslaved, I wouldn't lift a finger to stop it from happening. If that's what you wanted to hear, there you have it, but that doesn't delegitimize my right to question the reaction regarding the Zimbabwe situation. Have you heard or seen anybody even try to defend the ZCU? More people defended the evil Nazis and Soviets.
So two wrongs make a right, then?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
So two wrongs make a right, then?
No, all I'm saying is why does everyone who thinks Streak and company should just be quiet and play cricket, a group which apparently includes only me, have to branded a racist against white people or a deluded fool? How will not playing cricket restore democracy and respect for human rights to Zimbabwe? All it will do is deny Zimbabweans a possible outlet for entertainment and release from the stress that must be their life.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lions81 said:
Have you heard or seen anybody even try to defend the ZCU? More people defended the evil Nazis and Soviets.
I supported the ZCU and their cause.. I thought they had done very well, considering the appaling regime they were being forced to comply with..

I didnt support the players who whinged and left very much really.. I thought it was a bit sad that they couldnt hang on until things brighten up there..

I wanted England to play their in the world cup, because not doing so would have been a blow for Zimbabwean cricket... I wanted England to tour there whenever it has come under question.. Im used to quotas because I see it happening in the team I support too, and I can see the pros and cons, so I didnt see the ZCU as being racist when they wanted more blacks to play in the team...

But now, things have just got stupid.. They have lost all semblence of being good for spreading the word of cricket around.. They have gone from being a board who were coping under poor circumstances to a political puppet filled with racists.. Thats why this time, im supporting the rebel thirteen..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lions81 said:
No, all I'm saying is why does everyone who thinks Streak and company should just be quiet and play cricket, a group which apparently includes only me, have to branded a racist against white people or a deluded fool? How will not playing cricket restore democracy and respect for human rights to Zimbabwe? All it will do is deny Zimbabweans a possible outlet for entertainment and release from the stress that must be their life.
Gleneagles agreement for one...

It isn't the fault of the ZCU as such because they no longer have any independence against Bvute, Mugabe and the ZCU (how much longer before Mad Bob picks himself for a Test Match?), however all it is now is a political puppet of the Zanu-PF.

There is positive discrimination and there is gross incompetence (did you see the story about Mashonaland Under 12s)? The ZPFCU have crossed the line long ago.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lions81 said:
This changed everything

and he still feels the same

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
the statement from Olonga and Flower is a very moving one...the aggression shown by Mugabe's regime isnt only against white people, it is also against black people as well...it doesnt seem to be about race, it just seems to be one great big power trip for Mugabe (who himself has compared himself to Hitler)...

Lions..there are greater things to life than cricket...if these players feel so strongly as to jepodize their career/living for what they beleive, then I will back them all the way.

I dont think these players think that they will change how the country is run by resigning, but it certainly has brought more attention to what is going on in Zimbabwe to the rest of the world, which can only be a good thing.

I wish I would have the guts to potentially risk my life / living for what I really believe in...to me these players are truely brave,and get my respect

anzac

International Debutant
Lions81 said:

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting any of your former points - it's just possible that the players feel that they are representing their nation on the international sporting arena, and as such can be seen as endorsing the regime of the ZCU & their internal political situation - consequently some have already left on moral grounds, others are now protesting regarding the lack of democracy within the ZCU which now reflects their domestic situation..........while the ZCU managed to maintain some semblance of 'normailty' or independence from internal politics the players probably felt that they could persevere in the hope that the political situation could be resolved - now it appears that that hope has been in vain...

:)

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
anzac said:
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting any of your former points - it's just possible that the players feel that they are representing their nation on the international sporting arena, and as such can be seen as endorsing the regime of the ZCU & their internal political situation - consequently some have already left on moral grounds, others are now protesting regarding the lack of democracy within the ZCU which now reflects their domestic situation..........while the ZCU managed to maintain some semblance of 'normailty' or independence from internal politics the players probably felt that they could persevere in the hope that the political situation could be resolved - now it appears that that hope has been in vain...

:)
Yes, I agree with your points. I've thought about the whole situation a lot in the past few days, and I realize that I've been wrong. I can't condone racism against anyone, and while I think affirmative action is not reverse racism, what is happening in Zimbabwe clearly is racism against whites and it's wrong. The ICC should allow any Zimbabwe player who wants out to move to Kenya, ban Zimbabwe and induct Kenya as the newest Test Nation.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
anzac said:
my question is what is the ICC going to do about it?????

from what I have seen it would appear they are going to play at sticking their head in the sand and hope it goes away.................

:@
There must be a strong case for the ICC following football's lead in suspending a country where the national association is the subject of political interference.

I have not been in favour of England, or any other country, refusing to tour on moral grounds, but if there is clear evidence of political manipulation of team affairs then the ICC must take action if it is to retain any credibility.

This nonsense about not getting involved in domestic issues is simply an abdication of responsibility.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Lions81 said:
YOU'RE Robert Mugabe? Damn, and I was so sure it was that Richard guy.

BTW, I'm totally with you that affirmative action is not racism (there's no such thing as reverse-racism, it's a phrase invented by people who give far too much away about themselves by their invention of the term), but as you say, what's going on in Zimbabwe really isn't similar.

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
zimbabwe should be given some credit after todays performance. nearly everyone wrote them off, but they fought well making 211/6 after being 1/2 and took 2 early wickets, but in the end the zim inexperience and a good innings by sangakkara became the reasons for sri lanka win.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Where is that Richard guy? He has not been on here for a while.
Well, he kept saying that if he was proved wrong he'd eat his computer.

He was proved wrong on several points, so I guess he's stuck to his word!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe we ought to re-name this thread 'RIP English International Cricket'.

It transpires that the meeting held yesterday between Peter Chingoka and the ECB has assured the English cricket authorities that the ZCU is an apolitical organisation purely concerned with the well-being of the sport of cricket.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that if the tour does not go ahead (other than by the government banning the tour), England cricket will be fined 1.1 million pounds and suspended from international cricket for a period of at least a year (estimated cost 50 million).

Consequently, as the government have merely expressed disapproval but stopped short of an outright ban (and there is no way that they can, because dealing with the Zimbabwean regime is not illegal, merely reprehensible), the tour will go ahead.

So, there you have it. The ECB definitely cannot win this one.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sad to see Eddie.. Well thats what happens when you play in a league administered by some of the most spineless adminitstrators ive ever come across...

Maybe we ought to rename this thread "RIP international cricket?"

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Sad to see Eddie.. Well thats what happens when you play in a league administered by some of the most spineless adminitstrators ive ever come across...

Maybe we ought to rename this thread "RIP international cricket?"
It's not the ECB's fault - it's a combination of Government and ICC inaction leaving the ECB between Hell and High Water.

Status
Not open for further replies.