• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

dinesh kartik - should be be included in indian team

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
dinesh kartik has looked impressive all-around with the bat and also with the gloves and he hit 2 100s in the ranji semi-final and final including a quickfire 30 ball 70 against sri lanka in the u-19 world cup.

dinesh kartik can be a odi wicket-keeper going by his high scoring rate and india do need a regular keeper seeing dravid messing it up in odis.

although parthivs batting is good, but his keeping and especially to spin has looked ordinary and parthiv also concedes around 10 byes every innings.

dinesh kartik, on the other hand looks to be a good keeper. still i would go with dinesh karik in the indian team in both tests and odis having parthiv as reserve keeper.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
bhooth nath said:
dinesh kartik has looked impressive all-around with the bat and also with the gloves and he hit 2 100s in the ranji semi-final and final including a quickfire 30 ball 70 against sri lanka in the u-19 world cup.

dinesh kartik can be a odi wicket-keeper going by his high scoring rate and india do need a regular keeper seeing dravid messing it up in odis.

although parthivs batting is good, but his keeping and especially to spin has looked ordinary and parthiv also concedes around 10 byes every innings.

dinesh kartik, on the other hand looks to be a good keeper. still i would go with dinesh karik in the indian team in both tests and odis having parthiv as reserve keeper.
Dinesh Karthik is certainly a huge talent for India.
I would say he's probably moved ahead of Ratra in the wicketkeeping order
because his batting is much better. By all accounts his keeping is very good as well.

However I can't see him displacing Patel in the short term. Patel does need to work on his keeping more though -- if he doesn't show an improvement in this department in the tests next season, Karthik may well get his chance.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Must we rush another young kid into the wicketkeeping position? Karthik looks really good, but let's let his body and mind mature a little bit more. Patel's doing a good job right now, so we're okay for a little while I think.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
maybe he will be included as second keeper along with patel on whatever the next tour is ( zim or sa ) and he will get his chance to show..

NikhilN

International Regular
A player doing good in first class doesnt mean they will do the same in International...unless they are REALLY good they most likely wont get in because you are facing much better bowlers then you do at first class level

V Reddy

International Debutant
Proud Indian said:
A player doing good in first class doesnt mean they will do the same in International...unless they are REALLY good they most likely wont get in because you are facing much better bowlers then you do at first class level
But he got those runs against Mumbai and Railways , probably the best bowling sides in Indian domestic cricket. Nothing can be proven without giving him a chance and he is also a 18 yr old i think

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
A few months ago, many were criticising Patel for lack of runs.

Well, in the Pakistan v India series, he looked a really useful, gritty batsman (not sure about the opening though - all you're doing there is not giving the poor old keeper a break if you were in the field first) - so you'd think that all questions had been answered.

The only trouble was, his general keeping in the series was hardly of international standard - although quite in keeping with the general standard of fielding in all three test matches which was, quite frankly, abject.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Proud Indian said:

That's a common argument on here actually.

Oh, and you couldn't cut the signature a little could you?

chicane

State Captain
vishnureddy said:
But he got those runs against Mumbai and Railways , probably the best bowling sides in Indian domestic cricket. Nothing can be proven without giving him a chance and he is also a 18 yr old i think
He played really well in the ranji finals....yet i think patel is still our best bet

chicane

State Captain
But there are quite a few south zone players who have been impressive and deserve a chance in the national team......especially more than some other players given chances like dinesh mongia, sanjay bangar, abhijit kale etc.....venugopalrao and sriram have been in superb nick.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
They have Parthiv Patel for Tests and Thilak Naidu or Ajay Ratra for ODI's. Thilak Naidu has a few weaknesses as keeper, but he can iron them out, the way Parthiv did. As for Ratra, his batting is still not the best, but his running between wickets and reflexes are very good, so he too should be a part of selection plans. Is there need for a fourth? Is Dinesh in any way better than the other contenders? We don't need another Parthiv Patel. Let him play more FC and A-team matches to prove himself. Keeping to spinners is still a big issue, since nobody has kept to the spinners as well as Nayan Mongia (he is still a lot better than all these contenders), so the old stalwarts should do their bit.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
For the time being, Patel's batting has been good, but his keeping is a bit suspect, but what have other wicketkeepers before him done wrong? What have Vijay Dahiya and Ajay Ratra done wrong? Why have they been discarded so quickly? They're not far worse than Patel, are they? For some strange reason, they keep picking and drpping wicketkeepers for the wrong reason, but settle with one, suddenly.

V Reddy

International Debutant
masterblaster said:
Keep Patel for now, the guy's just 19 but his batting is superb for a 19 year old wicketkeeper.

I agree but his opponent at the moment is an 18 yr old and he scored centuries against Mumbai, the best bowling attack in India [ Munaf Patel, Salvi, Bahutule and Nilesh Kulkarni] and Railways [ Bangar, Harvinder Singh , Hussain and Parida ] and so he is a pretty talented batsman too. He scores them at run a ball and so he should maybe given a chance in onedayers as he is capable of big hitting. Here is his profile on CricInfo
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/IND/K/KARTHIK_KKD_06008813/

BTW, i think some of the players may even check out our forums b'coz when i searched for Dinesh Kartik the first two results were of this thread. I remember reading sometime back when he played in leagues in Hyd that browsing internet was one of his hobbies. So good luck Dinesh if ur indeed reading this :cool:

Deja moo

International Captain
against Mumbai, the best bowling attack in India [ Munaf Patel, Salvi, Bahutule and Nilesh Kulkarni] and Railways [ Bangar, Harvinder Singh , Hussain and Parida ]
:( isnt it plain depressing to call those attacks the best in India?

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
its great if dinesh kartik himself is reading this thread. i hope this forum continues to grow and we even have some international cricketers posting on this forum :)

i would go with kartik as keeper in the odis and parthiv as keeper in tests.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
isnt it plain depressing to call those attacks the best in India?
Relatively, they are, but all those bowlers mentioned are quite good, except for Agarkar Phase 2. It's just that the pace bowlers lack pace and the spinners don't get along with a captain who does not help spinners much- these spinners require a captain's help.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Some people have their personal agenda and they like to popup names out of nowhere. For them Sourav Ganguly is the worst captain and should not lead India and now this WicketKeeper controversy.

I dont know why Ajay Ratra and Vijay Dahiya were discarded and I dont care, I just dont want same thing to happen to Parthiv who is improving with every series and has really gelled with this Indian team. He has batted well and kept well and with more time he is going to do better.

Dinesh Karthik may have scored centuries and kept well, but I am sure keeping wickets to Anil Kumble on a dusty track is a different ball game and same people who are asking for Parthiv's head now would want Karthik out of the team.