• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sriram for Scotland ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I heard on the BBC message board that Indian batsman Sridharan Sriram has been
signed up as Scotland's overseas player.

Can anyone confirm this ?

It its true its a very interesting choice by the SCots.....
I've never seen Sriram play but alot of Tamil supporters claim he should be in the Indian squad.

V Reddy

International Debutant
jamesryfler said:
I heard on the BBC message board that Indian batsman Sridharan Sriram has been
signed up as Scotland's overseas player.

Can anyone confirm this ?

It its true its a very interesting choice by the SCots.....
I've never seen Sriram play but alot of Tamil supporters claim he should be in the Indian squad.
Hmmm... you visit the BBC Message board but not its website :huh: . It's a 3-4 days back news. It was on BBC Cricket website but has expired from that website now.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
jamesryfler said:
Tamil supporters? The man averages 60 in FC cricket. What more can you ask of him? It's a good thing we've got the Tamil supporters to show us when the predominantly North Indian selectors have got it all wrong. The only thing is when does Sriram play? Well, he does open...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Lions81 said:
Tamil supporters? The man averages 60 in FC cricket. What more can you ask of him? It's a good thing we've got the Tamil supporters to show us when the predominantly North Indian selectors have got it all wrong. The only thing is when does Sriram play? Well, he does open...
Who cares what his FC avg is, even Kambli has FC avg of 60+(better than Sriram), does it mean he should play for India ? Sriram was given some chances in ODIs and he didn't do too well and as far as I know he is not better than Sehwag-Sachin-Ganguly-Laxman-Dravid-Yuvraj-Kaif-Badani-Rohan. Are you suggesting that the selectors should pick Sriram ahead of these 8-9 players ? :laugh:

As far as North Indian selectors are concerned - I dont think they alone pick the team. Incase you didn't know the Current BCCI selection panel has following members :-

1. Syed Kirmani - Chairman (South Zone)
2. Kirti Azad - (North Zone)
3. Pranab Roy - (East Zone)
4. Kiran More - (West Zone)
5. Sanjay Jagdale - (Center)

And Previous selection Committee :-

1. Chandu Borde (Chairman),
2. Shivlal Yadav - (South Zone)
3. Madan Lal - (North Zone)
4. Ashok Malhotra - (East Zone)
5. Sanjay Jagdale - (Center)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There is also the pair of Gautam Gambhir and Akash Chopra, who had their averages in the higher 50's before being picked. Chopra got his chances, but then, he got that really silly order to just 'blunt out the new ball', when he's good enough to score runs. It's such negative plans that have been responsible for his 20-odd average, becausw he's a better player than that. He has been a consistent performer in the FC matches and he can get those 100's and the occasional double when needed, but I doubt if that's what the people in command of the Delhi and North Zone teams tell him. His opening partner from Delhi is also a good choice, since he can get in and stay in for a long time. It's just that occasional lack of focus that hampers him. Both are good fielders and runners between wickets. Their boundary hitting may not be that good, but Chopra has a good list-A average, while Gambhir can hit the ball hard when needed, as in the recent Kenstar tournament.

As for Sriram, there was never really any place when he was young. Those ODI failures were occasional and in the recent past, he has played limited overs matghes a lot better, as in the Kenstar series.

Deja moo

International Captain
Sriram got only a couplwe of odis and was dropped.

Kambli hasnt breen given a chance in tests since being dropped. why's that?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Sanz said:
Who cares what his FC avg is, even Kambli has FC avg of 60+(better than Sriram), does it mean he should play for India ? Sriram was given some chances in ODIs and he didn't do too well and as far as I know he is not better than Sehwag-Sachin-Ganguly-Laxman-Dravid-Yuvraj-Kaif-Badani-Rohan. Are you suggesting that the selectors should pick Sriram ahead of these 8-9 players ? :laugh:
What rubbish are you writing? Badani and Rohan are not in Sriram's class. One could make a case for Badani, but to put Rohan Gavaskar out there is absolutely absurd! If not for his last name, he wouldn't be anywhere near a cricket field.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Lions81 said:
What rubbish are you writing? Badani and Rohan are not in Sriram's class. One could make a case for Badani, but to put Rohan Gavaskar out there is absolutely absurd! If not for his last name, he wouldn't be anywhere near a cricket field.

I think Sriram is a class above Rohan and a better batsman than Kaif and Badani too. He is a much improved batsman than what he was when he played for India.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
vishnureddy said:
I think Sriram is a class above Rohan and a better batsman than Kaif and Badani too. He is a much improved batsman than what he was when he played for India.
Absolutely!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Lions81 said:
Right, Yuvraj, Badani, Kaif, Rohan all of them are there in the team because of North Indian Selectors or because of their last names. Sriram's batting avg in ODIs is < 6, Rohan is > 22. Not to forget Rohan played his matches against Australia in Australia where as Sriram Played his against Zimbabwe & SL at home. In First Clas ODIs Rohan's performance has been better than Sriram's in both dept bowling as well as batting.(I am considering ODIs because none of these players are considered for Test matchs)

Badani, Kaif, Yuvraj have proved themselved in ODIs and deserve their place above everyone else.

As far as Rohan Gavaskar's last name is concerned - If his last name is that big, I just wonder why he was not picked up for Pakistan series despite having a decent series Down Under.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
vishnureddy said:
What is the point is having class when you can't perform at the international level ? He had his chances and he didn't do well and right now Kaif, Yuvraj, Badani and to some extent Rohan have done well when given chance and there is no point in bringing anyone else unless all of these guys are injured.

I hope you are not suggesting that we should drop Yuvraj, Kaif and Badani to make way for Sriram, just because you think very highly of him ;)

V Reddy

International Debutant
Sanz said:
What is the point is having class when you can't perform at the international level ? He had his chances and he didn't do well and right now Kaif, Yuvraj, Badani and to some extent Rohan have done well when given chance and there is no point in bringing anyone else unless all of these guys are injured.

I hope you are not suggesting that we should drop Yuvraj, Kaif and Badani to make way for Sriram, just because you think very highly of him ;)
You are right he had his chances. But he would be my first choice after Yuvraj and Kaif and above Badani and Rohan.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Maybe srirams a suckey fielder.. plus rohan is a good fielder and a handy bowler same goes for m kaif whos a damn good fielder..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
As for Rohan, he's not as talented, but he looks the part in an international game. He has a place in this level of the game, which is what makes him a very crucial part of the selection plans. The same can also be said of Powar.