• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akhter is overrated!

wahindiawah

Banned
Some pundits claims that Akhter is a top bowler and even predicted Indian batters to have a tough time while facing Akhter. But in reality Akhter had a tough time facing the awesome Indian batsmen.Forget the regular batters, even tailenders in Pathan,Balaji and make shift opener are able to toy with that overrated pacer.

Face the fact, he's over-rated.All he has is pace, that can get him wkt of mediocre batters but quality batmen are usually able to see him off without much problem.

I can easily name 14-15 pacers that are much much better than Akhter.

Langeveldt

Soutie
*Yawn*

mm yeah, Shoaib, really over rated... in fact I find him quite mediocre myself...

Go on, name me 15 pacers better than shoiab...

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, his 3/47 off 22 overs today must have been rubbish. The wickets of Tendulkar, Sehwag and Laxman too... not worth mentioning at all. Seriously, I think enough has been said about Akhtar, let his performances speak for themselves.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Go on, name me 15 pacers better than shoiab...

Agarkar
Balaji
Ganguly
Tendulkar when he bowls seam
Pathan
Srinath (even though he's retired)
Dev (likewise)
Mhambrey
Khan
Nehra

Sorry, I can only name 10!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Unlike Pollock, Lee, Pathan and Harmison, Shoaib is no match winner!
When has Pathan won a match?

Didn't Akhtar recently do just that in NZ?

Hasn't Akhtar run through the Australian line-up?

godofcricket

State 12th Man
wahindiawah said:
But in reality Akhter had a tough time facing the awesome Indian batsmen.
True but i also heard dravid saying he had a tough time facing akhtar.

wahindiawah said:
Face the fact, he's over-rated.All he has is pace, that can get him wkt of mediocre batters but quality batmen are usually able to see him off without much problem..
Hes certainly not overrated. If u had seen him bowl today then u wouldn't have posted this topic.

wahindiawah said:
Go on name them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Agarkar
Balaji
Ganguly
Pathan
Dev (likewise)
Mhambrey
Khan
Nehra

Heheh, yeah i forgot to mention they all had to be Indian.... these guys make shoaib look like rikki clake...

Youhannan
Prasad
Dravid (heard he can bowl some medium pace in the nets)
Siddiqui

Swervy

International Captain
well I personally feel Shoaib IS slightly over-rated...he can be devestating, but i do question his temprement and his stamina...but I would still say he is in the top 6 fast bowlers in the world

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Heheh, yeah i forgot to mention they all had to be Indian.... these guys make shoaib look like rikki clake...

Youhannan
Prasad
Dravid (heard he can bowl some medium pace in the nets)
Siddiqui
Madan Lal
Surti
Subramanya
Abid Ali
Jaisimha
Desai

The list is endless - and as substantial as the original poster's mentality, because these types of thread are nothing other than flame bait.

Newlands

Cricket Spectator
wahindiawah said:
Some pundits claims that Akhter is a top bowler and even predicted Indian batters to have a tough time while facing Akhter. But in reality Akhter had a tough time facing the awesome Indian batsmen.Forget the regular batters, even tailenders in Pathan,Balaji and make shift opener are able to toy with that overrated pacer.

Face the fact, he's over-rated.All he has is pace, that can get him wkt of mediocre batters but quality batmen are usually able to see him off without much problem.

Well, if Ahktar is over rated then make a list because if he is then so is every other pacer in the world.
I don't like Shoaib much but I enjoy his bowling very much.
So wahindiawah, lets see your list of 14-15 pacers who are better than him. Or are you just posting here as a wind-up? :@

Newlands

Cricket Spectator
Today, after 43 overs Ahktar had bowled 12 overs and had six maidens in there. I can't remember the amount of runs he'd conceded but it wasn't critical. He had been bowling against India's top order and had something like 3 for 42 at the end of the day. He's not over rated - he's just good. :cool:

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Akhtar is overrated inasmuch as he is touted as the best fast bowler ever. He's the fastest, but not the best. I agree Swervy, his temperament and fitness leave much to be desired. His talent is unquestionable however. But how can you cite his 3-42 and ignore the nice big 0-fer in that first match. I suppose Australians must feel his pain :D

wahindiawah

Banned
marc71178 said:
Agarkar
Balaji
Ganguly
Pathan
Dev (likewise)
Mhambrey
Khan
Nehra

Why bring Indian pacers into it? Natwest trophy is long over, no need to bring up Indian players in every thread.

I would say that following pacers are definately better than Over-rated Akhter.

McGrath
Jason
Lee
Pollock
Ntini
Bond
Oram
Pathan
Vaas
Harmison
Hoggard
Z Khan

Well they are just 12, 2 more in Bracken and Williams will get better with time, though right now i can't ate them highly.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
wahindiawah said:
Why bring Indian pacers into it? Natwest trophy is long over, no need to bring up Indian players in every thread.

I would say that following pacers are definately better than Over-rated Akhter.

McGrath
Jason
Lee
Pollock
Ntini
Bond
Oram
Pathan
Vaas
Harmison
Hoggard
Z Khan

Well they are just 12, 2 more in Bracken and Williams will get better with time, though right now i can't ate them highly.
McGrath - Agreed.
Gillespie - Too close to call.
Lee - not a chance.
Pollock - Agreed.
Ntini - not yet.
Bond - too little experience.
Oram - absolutely no way.
Pathan - not yet, might come close.
Vaas - not quite.
Harmison - hasn't performed against top teams yet.
Hoggard - not even close.
Khan - no chance.
Bracken & Williams - you are out of your mind.

Statistically, Akhtar is better than just about all of them (except McGrath and Pollock). Now, if Akhtar were Indian, would you still be saying he is hopeless and overrated?
Why am I even responding to this?

Adamc said:
Statistically, Akhtar is better than just about all of them (except McGrath and Pollock). Now, if Akhtar were Indian, would you still be saying he is hopeless and overrated?
I think Akhtar's nationality has nothing to do with his rating.The bottomline is that he has failed to deliver when it really matters, i.e against strong batting team and at cruch matches (like WC).

He plays like tiger against the likes of Bang, but against India he's totally clueless.

Sehwag309

Banned
Adamc said:
On the contrary, we Indians criticize our players more :wallbash:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
I think Akhtar's nationality has nothing to do with his rating.The bottomline is that he has failed to deliver when it really matters, i.e against strong batting team and at cruch matches (like WC).

He plays like tiger against the likes of Bang, but against India he's totally clueless.
He's demolished India before my friend. Cast your mind back to 1999 - the Calcutta test.

As for the subject, he is most defintely not overrated. Akthar IMO is one of the top five quicks in the world (the others being Mcgrath, Pollock, Gillespie and Bond(when fit)).

I would say Brett Lee in tests is far more overrated....

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Akhtar is definatly overrated.Hes quite good but he isnt in the class of the true topline bowlers in the world past or present.
Wasim and Waqar were a step above akhter who mostly looks good against poor opposition but gets schooled by top class batsmen,and he seems impotent on wickets that dont offer assitance.