• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quite Simply A Brilliant Article

masterblaster

International Captain
Don't rush to judge our cricketers

Let's not rush to over-criticise or over-praise our pressured cricketers - they are only human, writes leading Indian sports writer, Rohit Brijnath.

In a recent column, I suggested that the subcontinent was not so much cricket's headquarters as its heart, its passionate, unstable, throbbing core.

We are its emotional centre, we are the guardians and bearers of its unique and beautifully chaotic spirit.

It is something to behold; it is also, occasionally, the source of frustration.

Passion infuses life into subcontinental cricket; but this obsession also makes for an alarming fickleness.

Nowhere do opinions swing as rapidly from one extremity to another.

When cricket steps forth, reason usually steps back.

Too far, too fast

Unquestionably part of the allure of subcontinental cricket is the endless chatter over roadside chai, the alley-way debates behind opaque curtains of cigarette smoke, where a man's character is mangled after a poor over yet his statue resurrected after two wickets in the next one.

But sometimes we - press, experts, public - go too far too fast.

Perhaps there are too many channels searching for an angle when none exist, too many columnists (and I am hardly an exception) prone to over-analysis, too many office critics reading too much into every false shot and bowling change.

Cricketers often say the public's opinion is irrelevant to them, that newspapers are rarely read, that TV experts suddenly assume virtues they did not necessarily possess when they played.

Part of it is arrogance, part frustration, part the reality that at jumping to conclusions we, the watchers, are unrivalled.

They are not all wrong. One day the Indians are valiant (Tests v Australia), the next they are chokers (one-dayers in Australia), the third they can walk on water (one-dayers v Pakistan), the fourth they are incompetents (second Test v Pakistan).

Absurd

Acceptably, the Indian team has yet to embrace consistency but such massive shifts in opinion appear somewhat unreasonable.

Press, experts and public go too far, too fast, with our analysis

In this India-Pakistan series, for instance, the cricket has been compelling, the hosts magical, but in between some of the storylines have been baffling.

After the first Test, headlines quickly suggested that India could be the best batting line-up in the world (you'll never hear the team say this).

By the end of the second Test, they were being compared to the Batliboi Second XI.

People who lauded India's batting, suddenly decided batting first in Lahore was absurd.

First they say put your best foot forward, then they say that's not your best foot!

Some years ago an Indian news magazine put Ganguly, Dravid, Tendulkar on the cover and claimed this line-up was the best in the world.

Wrong. We weren't then, and we aren't still.

Someone forgot Hayden, Ponting and those grim boys in green and yellow.

Bigger picture

Indeed, in all the agonising over India's collapse, there hasn't been enough credit handed to Inzi's men.

Inzamam's players have not been given enough credit

To lose the one-dayers, then the first Test, at home, in such a charged series, and then find the courage to fight back is not impressive. It's remarkable.

After the first Test, stand-in captain Rahul Dravid was hailed as more tactically astute than Rommel and a better leader of men than Patton.

After the second Test, it was decided he needed to be sent back to cricketing school!

Fact is, Dravid hasn't led enough for anyone to make a concrete opinion, and this swift exchange of praise for ridicule only confirms why Sourav Ganguly has more grey hair at his age than nature would suggest he should.

Of Dravid we have always known this: for him team comes first.

It is evident in his constant movement up and down the order through the years without complaint, in his dutiful acceptance of wicket-keeping responsibilities (no easy decision, for the only guarantee is that he will look bad), in his unconditional support for his captain (ask Sourav).

In a land that values individual accomplishment over team (though one senses it is changing fast), we celebrated his ability to see the bigger picture.

Yet when he declares with Tendulkar on 194 he's a sinner!

Forget that his respect for Tendulkar is well advertised, forget that we don't know what exactly the instructions sent out were.

What matters is the end result. India won. The rest is irrelevant.

Ask Tendulkar if he'll exchange that victorious smile at the end of the Test for a double century and you know what he'll choose.

Were both possible? Perhaps. But we'll never know.

Our teams are not always worthy of our affection, but often they do not deserve our fickleness either.

VVS Laxman had people calling him the finest craftsman in the world in Australia.

An unfinished series later some want him dropped?

Irfan Pathan is earning his apprenticeship in Test cricket, impressively no doubt, but some have already dubbed him the "next Wasim Akram".

A couple of failures and people may well say, "Oh, see how cricketers are hyped". Yeah, but who hyped him?

Sometimes we need to just let the game unfold and celebrate the competition and enjoy the deeds of skilled young men, rather than damning them too fast, or indeed praising them excessively.

To read Rohit Brijnath's future columns, bookmark bbcnews.com/southasia

I agree with this one here from Rohit Brijnath completely. It was exactly what I would've said.

What are everybody's views here?

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
A great article to read and a very sensible and true analysis of the cricket in the subcontinent. I believe all of us should really read this article because some of us here really need to understand what the author is trying to say.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You only have to look at the abject nonsense posted within these bulletin boards to see exactly what he is referring to.

Sehwag309

Banned
Yawn..I had the same idea, but couldn't put in words :p ......Thats why I am not a writer, on serious note---> Great Article

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
That is a very good article. But any cricketing public can be that fickle. Even us Aussies!

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
You only have to look at the abject nonsense posted within these bulletin boards to see exactly what he is referring to.
I wouldn't say everything you post is abject nonsense. Okay, fair enough, some of it is but once in a while you deliver a polished diamond. 8-)

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Also, I don't like this article and here's why.

Those "alley-way debates" that the author writes about take place among cricket fans who spend their hard-earned money to go to the stadiums and watch them. India is not a wealthy country, and despite the rich people it does have, the vast majority are poor and barely make ends meet. Yet they will save up money, foregoing things they desperately need, to buy a ticket when the Indian team comes to town. These cricket players, coddled, shielded and made to be gods among men, take their salaries from these people. They have an obligation to these people. What they don't have is a right to be bad. To see Sachin Tendulkar, who makes millions of dollars every year, be absolutely garbage on the field, is a travesty. The fans do not have any reason to give him leeway at all. He is not playing the game for free. That money comes from somewhere, and its from these fans' pockets. They deserve to have their money's worth. I'll never feel bad for the pressure placed on them. No one makes them play cricket for a living. Go to school, become an engineer. Become a doctor. Want to talk about professions with pressure? Doctors, they have real pressure on them. Human lives are in their hands. If a doctor misdiagnoses my child, will I say, "Oh Doctor, it's okay. I'm sure you correctly diagnose so many, that just this one mistake won't matter. Also, you do so much work, you must be tired, so I find no fault with you matter what!" No. The tradeoff for accepting this pressure is the fame, glamour and money. These cricketers will never, ever become sympathetic figures in my eyes. I love watching them play, but I don't want to hear them whine about the fans who keep them rolling in large homes and expensive cars for one second.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Lions81 said:

Those "alley-way debates" that the author writes about take place among cricket fans who spend their hard-earned money to go to the stadiums and watch them. India is not a wealthy country, and despite the rich people it does have, the vast majority are poor and barely make ends meet. Yet they will save up money, foregoing things they desperately need, to buy a ticket when the Indian team comes to town. These cricket players, coddled, shielded and made to be gods among men, take their salaries from these people. They have an obligation to these people. What they don't have is a right to be bad. To see Sachin Tendulkar, who makes millions of dollars every year, be absolutely garbage on the field, is a travesty. The fans do not have any reason to give him leeway at all. He is not playing the game for free. That money comes from somewhere, and its from these fans' pockets. They deserve to have their money's worth. I'll never feel bad for the pressure placed on them. No one makes them play cricket for a living. Go to school, become an engineer. Become a doctor. Want to talk about professions with pressure? Doctors, they have real pressure on them. Human lives are in their hands. If a doctor misdiagnoses my child, will I say, "Oh Doctor, it's okay. I'm sure you correctly diagnose so many, that just this one mistake won't matter. Also, you do so much work, you must be tired, so I find no fault with you matter what!" No. The tradeoff for accepting this pressure is the fame, glamour and money. These cricketers will never, ever become sympathetic figures in my eyes. I love watching them play, but I don't want to hear them whine about the fans who keep them rolling in large homes and expensive cars for one second.
Perfectly said which echoes my sentiments too. You can't have it only one way. For a team which used to be a mediocre they earned a lot more than they deserved. If you feel this bad for Cricketers then you need to compare them with other sportspersons. Some people who got gold medals in Asian Games and CW Games end up selling those medals and working as agricultural labours due to poverty and complete negligence of other sports. Surely you can't have everything going towards you . Other countries supporters may not be this violitile but those cricketers don't earn the way Indian cricketers do and that too considering how Rupee compares with Dollar or Pound .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lions81 said:
I wouldn't say everything you post is abject nonsense. Okay, fair enough, some of it is but once in a while you deliver a polished diamond. 8-)
Damn.

Must try harder. :D

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Lions81 said:

You know, you've got me thinking. At first, after reading this article I thought 'Yeah, amen to that!'. But then I read your post and reconsidered.

A simalar thought happened not long ago when my dad had to work away from his home for a few weeks, and he said to me 'It really is awful living out of a suitcase for weeks on end...' and I said 'Hey, cricketers do it all the time!'
My dad replied with 'Yeah, but they get paid thousands to do it. If I got paid thousands, I wouldn't complain!'

I love my cricketers (a couple in particular), but in reality this is their job, playing good cricket.
Yeah, we know theyre human and make mistakes and we shouldnt be so hard on them, but the fact remains that they get rewards of high magnitude for putting up with our crap.
So, I guess what I'm saying is I think the sympathy felt in that article could be placed in better circumstances, as we all know there are far worse off people than our beloved cricketers.