• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web Draft

Loony BoB

International Captain
I thought Lions was going to post something more like what I had in my mind, but it seems he's going for it in a different perspective, so I figured I'd put up my idea, too. What I'd like is for some guys to represent the various countries (they don't have to be your own) - all you require is decent knowledge of world cricketers today so that you don't end up looking like a fool (hence, er, I'm not going to participate... heh).

Only nine players can play (go figure). What you'll need to do is select a country to represent and state the player you want to be in your team. Obviouslly, you can't select anyone who's already been selected. As the selections go, I'll edit this post (mods can help if they want) and we'll have ourselves a Cricket Web Draft. There will be a twelth man for each team, too. First in, first selection. I'll order the countries/players so it's easier to follow as the players start joining the game.

Bangladesh - Blewy
1) Jacques Kallis

Australia - jamee999
1) Ricky Ponting

India - Lions81
1) Shoaib Akhtar

West Indies - Mr Mxyzptlk
1) Brian Lara

Pakistan - Mister Wright
1) Shaun Pollock

England - Tom Halsey
1) Steve Harmison

New Zealand - Token
1) Rahul Dravid

South Africa - Langeveldt
1) [awaiting selection]

Sri Lanka - pskov

Kenya - Adamc

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Feel free to make your first pick while we wait for the others, then, following the first in, first pick rule.

Swervy

International Captain
erm...yeah like I have posted 5 mins ago...but if you want to do it, feel free.

How do you feel about the team you have having to keep 2 players that are already in that team.

(btw, I'll be Australia)

Loony BoB

International Captain
I was thinking about that, but I decided against it since it would once again give huge advantages to some countries.

Swervy

International Captain
i think you should do it in reverse order of strength...and also have the opportunity to trade picks..eg. Australia trades there first choice and third choice for say WI's first choice..something like that

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok my 2 Keeps are Mohammed Ashraful, and Mashrafe Mortaza 2 decent young players...

As for my 1st Choice, Jacques Kallis, gives strength to the batting whilst also offering a very good bowling option, also has experience to lead the young guys along...

Swervy

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
I was thinking about that, but I decided against it since it would once again give huge advantages to some countries.

but then B'desh would be able to pick the very best player in the world, so eventually it would even out

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Okay, but if we do first in, first pick rule, should we then reverse the picks for the second round? For example, let's say this is the order:

Bangladesh
Australia
South Africa

(yeah I know it's only three but I'm too lazy to type them all out!)

then for the second round, it would be

South Africa
Australia
Bangladesh

then Bangladesh would pick again, and so on. So the last team would get two consecutive picks and the team that picks first would pick last in the second round. I think this nicely balances out the advantages/disadvantages of where you pick, and this is what they do in fantasy baseball/football drafts.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Swervy said:
i think you should do it in reverse order of strength...and also have the opportunity to trade picks..eg. Australia trades there first choice and third choice for say WI's first choice..something like that
Yeah, I'm sure that can come into play as things move on, although we'll probably have to pick the full twelve players first. For the picking, I'm just doing it in order of who comes along first, as there's no real advantage to any country that way.

Swervy

International Captain
woah...do you not think we should wait to fill the positions first....

What rules you playing????

Loony BoB

International Captain
Lions81 said:
Okay, but if we do first in, first pick rule, should we then reverse the picks for the second round? For example, let's say this is the order:

Bangladesh
Australia
South Africa

(yeah I know it's only three but I'm too lazy to type them all out!)

then for the second round, it would be

South Africa
Australia
Bangladesh

then Bangladesh would pick again, and so on. So the last team would get two consecutive picks and the team that picks first would pick last in the second round. I think this nicely balances out the advantages/disadvantages of where you pick, and this is what they do in fantasy baseball/football drafts.
Good idea!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Loony BoB said:
Feel free to make your first pick while we wait for the others, then, following the first in, first pick rule.
Well i got told to pick...
8-) 8-)

Loony BoB

International Captain
The rules are, so far:

1) There are only 9 players.
2) The choosing of countries is strictly first in, first serve.
3) The first player to sign up may select one player of any country. The second then picks, and so forth, until the ninth player has picked his first player.
4) The second wave of selections then goes ahead in reverse order, with the person who picked last in the first round picking first this round, sort of like going up and down the list.
5) There is no restrictions on who you may select, so long as you don't select someone who's already been selected.

...something like that. We can figure out trading once everything is done, I suppose.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Ahh decisions, decisions. My philsophy is bowlers first, so now it's a toss-up:
Muralitharan or Akhtar; Akhtar or Muralitharan. Oh hell, I always enjoy the sight of the off stump flying out of the ground...

I take Shoaib Akhtar!