• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cricket Draft

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Let's dream, as Jamee999 has suggested, that there was some sort of World Cricket Draft, with teams drafting backwards in order of strength, maybe going by ICC Test rankings. Here's my first round: (I've left Zimbabwe out for obvious reasons)

1. Bangladesh - Muttiah Muralitharan (Best bowler maybe, best spinner definitely, dusty Bangladesh pitches)

2. West Indies - Brian Lara (West Indian pride I figure will prompt them to pick him here)

3. Sri Lanka - Shane Warne (Second best spinner, close behind Murali, spinny pitches of Sri Lanka)

4. India - Shoaib Akhtar (Finally, a fast bowler)

5. England - Matthew Hayden (No need to really explain this, is there?)

6. New Zealand - Adam Gilchrist (Best wicketkeeper-batsman in the world)

7. Pakistan - Sachin Tendulkar (Partly revenge for India taking Akhtar, partly because he is who he is)

8. South Africa - Jason Gillespie (Spearhead for the next ten years)

9. Australia - Ricky Ponting (Pure class, would fit right in too)

Swervy

International Captain
i am a regular contributor to an Amercian football forum, where we have a mock draft (because the NFL draft is about to take place, where each team gets to choose the best colege footballers). Each one of us has a team and we choose which player according to the order of 'badness' of your team.

Maybe you should try and do something like that....say to build up a sqaud of 15 for each team.

You could incorporate trading picks etc, in order for you to try and get the players you want....and maybe each player could nominate a couple of 'franchise' players which would constitute the core of your team..for example if I was Australia, i would have say Ponting and Gilchrist maybe as my core players, and then choose other players around them!!!! What do you think???

If you do that...I am Australia (which is a bad thing in this as I would have last pick)

Loony BoB

International Captain
Swervy said:
i am a regular contributor to an Amercian football forum, where we have a mock draft (because the NFL draft is about to take place, where each team gets to choose the best colege footballers). Each one of us has a team and we choose which player according to the order of 'badness' of your team.

Maybe you should try and do something like that....say to build up a sqaud of 15 for each team.

You could incorporate trading picks etc, in order for you to try and get the players you want....and maybe each player could nominate a couple of 'franchise' players which would constitute the core of your team..for example if I was Australia, i would have say Ponting and Gilchrist maybe as my core players, and then choose other players around them!!!! What do you think???

If you do that...I am Australia (which is a bad thing in this as I would have last pick)
I started a thread right after I saw this one, 'cause I thought it should be the same thing as you did.

Swervy

International Captain
Blewy said:
Im in, ill take Bangladesh
i would suggest you would have to keep two of the B'desh players as your franchise players......

Lions81...do you want to do something like this.

if not...I might try and oragnise something..try and think of some rules

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Swervy said:
i would suggest you would have to keep two of the B'desh players as your franchise players......

Thats ok, they have a wealth of talent over their...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Swervy said:

Yeah, I think your's and Loony Bob's idea would be a lot of fun, let's do it! I call India! I guess we should continue this on Loony Bob's thread from now on.

Swervy

International Captain
Lions81 said:
Yeah, I think your's and Loony Bob's idea would be a lot of fun, let's do it! I call India! I guess we should continue this on Loony Bob's thread from now on.
yeah but mine is slightly different...what do you want to do????

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Swervy said:
i think do Loony Bobs one..then maybe do my version...i dont know
Yeah, that sounds good. His seems a little easier to implement, since it's just straight picking, while yours seems like more of a manager-type thing, so doing his first and then yours seems like the best thing to do.

deeps

International 12th Man
assuming you have already got ppl from ur country already (so which player each country would want)

1. Bangladesh - they need a solid batsman,as well as another solid bowler...Jacques kallis

2. West Indies - Brett Lee...bring back some off that quick bowling

3. Sri Lanka - In desperate need of a strike bowling partner for vaas...has to be a hard working bowler, because lack of support on the pitches in SL...i'd go for Glen Mcgrath

4. India - Makhaya Ntini...a good quality fast bowler, more consistent than akhtar and a very very hard worker

5. England - Need another bowler.a good one...jason gillespie

6. New Zealand - Need some solidity in the middle order/top order...Rahul Dravid

7. Pakistan - Need a consitent quick who is a good bat..Shaun Pollock

8. South Africa - Require a quality spinner...Shane Warne

9. Australia - need a good all=rounder....kallis would've been ideal...but bangladesh picked him up earlier...so andy flintoff