• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best vs Rest

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Ohh and marc the last time you pointed out that one of my posts was "rubbish" or the "dubest thing I have ever said" or along those lines also had to do with keepers.

If I remember correctly I said shorter keepers are usualy better gloveman and you totaly dished me for it untill I actualy showed you why and also pointed out some experts who agreed with me Marsh is the only one I can remember right now.

That's interesting, I apparently disagreed with you on something that I agree on did I?

Funny how you can't remember a lot about it then isn't it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
What does that have to do with anything? Australia can't beat India in a test series, but they beat Sri Lanka 3-0 so that makes them by far the best test side?
Best teams perform against ALL sides.

No other side comes close to them, irrespective of a drawn series here and there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
Of course, even with that in mind, I don't think they'll have Fleming in the world XI because I don't think they'll take excellence in captaincy as a reason to get in. I think it'll be based purely on bat, ball and wicket keeping... maybe only bat and ball.

In Test's, for Fleming to play, he'd have to replace a truly world class batsman, and in doing so would be a slightly better captain than Smith.

The gulf between the batting of Fleming and of the man he'd replace, likely a Dravid or Kallis is far more than the gulf between his captaincy and that of Smith.

That is why he wouldn't make a World Test XI.

In ODI's, I can see a case for him though, as his performance in that form is better, and he is versatile with where he can come in.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I must admit, he tends to do better in the ODI's, and his captaincy tends to shine through better too, somehow. I still would have him in my test team though, as I think the amount of runs he could deplete from the opponents score by way of organising the attack is good enough. Guess we'll agree to disagree. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You have to remember that the sorts of bowlers he'd have to captain are pretty good at doing that on their own!

Pollock et al for example. ;)

Meg

Cricket Spectator
Lions81 said:
And making Graeme Smith the captain is not too bright an idea, in my opinion. I think judging from his poor captaincy in England, where they managed to hand England a draw, and in New Zealand, where he showed he has no idea how to manage an ODI, Smith has shown he has no business captaining South Africa, let alone a World XI side.
Hey, Smith's not that bad! Yes, I agree he is certainly not ready to captain a world XI, but he hasn't done badly at all for the new guy. I don't feel it was all his fault for the matches that they have drawn or lost and he has loads of potential and he's learning from his few mistakes- in years to come I strongly think he'll be one of the leading captains of cricket, if not the best. But, hey he's not perfect and I do think he needs to patch up those areas in which he falls. :dry:

Swervy

International Captain
Lions81 said:
What does that have to do with anything? Australia can't beat India in a test series, but they beat Sri Lanka 3-0 so that makes them by far the best test side? It doesn't work that way. I admit they are the #1 Test Side, and far better than Sri Lanka as that result shows, but they're not that far from India, as evidenced by their inability to beat India even at home.
a full strength Australia is still quite a long way ahead of India...that said, i would say South africa are ahead of India in test cricket

Swervy

International Captain
Meg said:
Hey, Smith's not that bad! Yes, I agree he is certainly not ready to captain a world XI, but he hasn't done badly at all for the new guy. I don't feel it was all his fault for the matches that they have drawn or lost and he has loads of potential and he's learning from his few mistakes- in years to come I strongly think he'll be one of the leading captains of cricket, if not the best. But, hey he's not perfect and I do think he needs to patch up those areas in which he falls. :dry:

i agree, i was very impressed with him last summer

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
That's interesting, I apparently disagreed with you on something that I agree on did I?

Funny how you can't remember a lot about it then isn't it?
You are going to end up looking like an Idiot if I go and look up the particular posts. I remember it well enough but obviously you dont so maybe you should save me the time and look it up yourself.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well marc I saved you the hard work here is what you said about my reffrance to Gilly being a tall keeper and the fact they are generaly not as proficent with the gloves.

Of all the excuses, this one is up there as one of the more stupid ones.

By the way, Tatenda Taibu is vastly under-rated as a fast bowler as it's so hard when he's so short.
As far as I can tell thats not the sort of post I would make In reffrance to somthing I agree with.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Best teams perform against ALL sides.

No other side comes close to them, irrespective of a drawn series here and there.
They don't perform against India. Unless India has stopped being considered a side, I don't see how your argument holds water.

Oh yes aside from a drawn series, there's also the matter of a series which THEY LOST. Sorry about the caps, but otherwise, I'm sure you'd ignore it and respond as if I didn't mention it, as you've done before. India has beaten Australia in India and drew them away 1-1, and it could have been 2-1 India or 2-2. (India could have won Sydney, and Australia could have won Brisbane, but India had a better chance at Sydney than Australia at Brisbane.)

I'm not saying Australia's not the #1 Side. They are. But they're not "far and away" better than India or even that much better than New Zealand for that matter. And please don't bring those insipid ICC Test Rankings up. They're amazingly stupid.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
It's obviouse though that this Australian side at full strength with McGrath and Warne back and Kaspa hopfully taking Brett Lee's spot permanantly is capable of dominating sides to a far greater degree than any other going around.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
It's obviouse though that this Australian side at full strength with McGrath and Warne back and Kaspa hopfully taking Brett Lee's spot permanantly is capable of dominating sides to a far greater degree than any other going around.
Maybe, but not India. There's nothing I've seen in the past three years to show me that this would be the case.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Lions81 said:
Maybe, but not India. There's nothing I've seen in the past three years to show me that this would be the case.
Yeah I dont disagree.

Or though things may have been much diffrent if we had played India on some normal bouncy wickets in the last test series they were as lifeless as I have ever seen in Australia.

Also why the Cricket Australia decided not to play a test at the WACA amazes me.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
Yeah I dont disagree.

Or though things may have been much diffrent if we had played India on some normal bouncy wickets in the last test series they were as lifeless as I have ever seen in Australia.

Also why the Cricket Australia decided not to play a test at the WACA amazes me.
They must have been scared of Ajit Agarkar. Adelaide shows they were right to fear him! :D :D :D

V Reddy

International Debutant
Marc, do you regularly watch Cricket or just follow it on the internet? I just can't believe how you put Jacobs over Gilly :huh: . If you consider Gilly as average then Jacobs is poor at best. I remember him dropping around 2 catches against Eng and i watched about only 5 % of that series. He often fumbles straight forward takes too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vishnureddy said:
Marc, do you regularly watch Cricket or just follow it on the internet? I just can't believe how you put Jacobs over Gilly :huh:

From what I've seen of the 2 I think Jacobs is under-rated.