• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Target 400

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well a one day test match is possible... But in order to be one day, there has to be a very ****y declaration..

Lets see...

Zimbabwe - 68AO (Streak 64*)
Australia - 171/1dec off say 35 overs
Zimbabwe - 74AO (Mugabe 52)

There you have it... its possible, but Ponting would have to be a bit cheeky with the declaration...

Linda

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Also, bear in mind the amount of play lost on the 1st day...
Regardless of whether it rained or not, Lara still took 2.42 days to declare. Rain did not lengthen the 5 day period in which the Windies had to win in, simple as that.
If, in Zimbabwe, Ponting takes 2.42 or more days to declare then hes a hypocrite. If not, can we all leave him alone?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
Has nothing to do with the fact that insufficient time was left to bowl us out twice.
But would you rather he had made his bowlers bowl for 3 straight days in order to attempt to bowl England out? Given West Indian injury frequency, that would not be good captaincy.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Linda said:
Regardless of whether it rained or not, Lara still took 2.42 days to declare. Rain did not lengthen the 5 day period in which the Windies had to win in, simple as that.
If, in Zimbabwe, Ponting takes 2.42 or more days to declare then hes a hypocrite. If not, can we all leave him alone?
All fair enough, but Ponting does know full well that Australia could bowl out Zimbabwe twice comfortably within 2.5 days. Therefore I don't see why he wouldn't let a Hayden bat so long.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But would you rather he had made his bowlers bowl for 3 straight days in order to attempt to bowl England out? Given West Indian injury frequency, that would not be good captaincy.
Given that was the only reasonable way you were gonna win... I personally enjoyed Lara killing the game off, ensuring that we won 3-0.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Linda said:
No, but it does mean that he didn't take 2.42 days to declare because the time lost was added onto the later days.

In real terms they batted just into the 3rd day.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
Given that was the only reasonable way you were gonna win... I personally enjoyed Lara killing the game off, ensuring that we won 3-0.
Given that Lara scoring 400* did more to heal the West Indian public's wounds than a 3-1 scoreline would have, I think it was the right move.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Given that Lara scoring 400* did more to heal the West Indian public's wounds than a 3-1 scoreline would have, I think it was the right move.
Right about that.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
All fair enough, but Ponting does know full well that Australia could bowl out Zimbabwe twice comfortably within 2.5 days. Therefore I don't see why he wouldn't let a Hayden bat so long.
Yeah I see your point.
It would be interesting to see what he would do in that situation with a decent team, like England or Sri Lanka or whatever. I think he'd stick to his word, but no matter what he does he's going to be under the critisising eye of the entire cricket community (including you lot ;)).

twctopcat

International Regular
tooextracool said:
righto the 400 record is going to beaten in this test match between SL and zimbabwe. attapattu or jayasuriya?
Just what i thought, tempting fate but Jayasuriya is going at over a run a ball and he's got 337(?) before, so if the concentration is there who knows. Don't think Attapattu could do it though, but i could be wrong.

twctopcat

International Regular
Jeez, i'm never gonna post if an english guy is going for the record, Jayasuriya's out, sod's law or what!

Revelation

U19 Debutant
i think vaughn can make an assault. the problem is that now, it's gonna take a long time to do it. let's say a player can score 60-70 a session, you're looking at 7 sessions. that's 2 days and a session.....think about someone coming in at 4 or 5.......it probably won't happen.