• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Target 400

masterblaster

International Captain
Out of all the obvious ones (Tendulkar, Ponting, Hayden, Smith, Sehwag, Dravid)

Im going to state a name which many of you may have forgotten.

One of the most elegant and stylish players on the planet, with a huge appetite for runs, VVS Laxman.

If its his day, he can do just about anything, and 400 is not beyond him if he applies himself. He's already one of the safest batsmen in world cricket, in that he hardly hits the ball in the air. He has a solid defence, and is quite aggressive as well, so I think, maybe he could do it.

Eclipse

International Debutant
He is fairly aggresive VVS but I dont know if he is aggressive enough.

Besides he usualy come's in at about 5-6 no way anyone will score 400 from there.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twctopcat said:
He never will get close by my reckoning. I read that that game was played under floodlights for a part, and one of the reason's he scored so big so quickly was that many of the english fielders simply couldn't pick the red ball out in the lights. Bit of a farce i know, but true nonetheless. Good but a bit of a freakish innings.
That was actually the 3rd test at Auckland, where the NZ batsmen were offered the light but were trying to set a target for England so batted on until about 8 in the evening (it got completely dark), and Astle got about 60 at a run a ball.

The 222 was in the middle of the last afternoon of the 1st test at Christchurch though.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
With Bangladesh touring West Indies shortly, Sri Lanka and Australia in Zimbabwe, I'd say Lara, Gayle, Jayasuriya or any of the Australian top 5 (except Martyn) could get there. And quickly too.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Adamc said:
With Bangladesh touring West Indies shortly, Sri Lanka and Australia in Zimbabwe, I'd say Lara, Gayle, Jayasuriya or any of the Australian top 5 (except Martyn) could get there. And quickly too.
If Martyn decided to play in his seldom seen aggresive mood he could be a big show as well.

Anyone remember his 238 of 150 odd balls. He is actualy an extreamly clean striker of the ball when he feels like it.

Craig

World Traveller
Lions81 said:
Aside from the obvious choices to break Lara's 400 (Smith, Hayden, Sehwag, Agarkar), one possibility who comes to mind is Nathan Astle. He scored a double century in less than that many balls if I recall correctly, or at least had a greater than 100% strike rate. Maybe he's dropped off since then, but if he can recapture that kind of form, why not.
As great as an innings as it was (I never got to see it 8-) :ph34r: :( ), it was the case where Astle was in the "zone, it would have probably been ranekd as one of the greatest ever innings had NZ got there.

It certainty affected Hussain's mind when considering a declaration in that series.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
Anyone remember his 238 of 150 odd balls.
How I wish I had been there...:in_love:

But back to topic, I think when considering a humungo score like 400, scoring rate and the situation of the match comes into it. If a match is a dead rubber, I think chances for a 400 are much higher because the team is not as willing to win a match.
I think both South African openers are a chance for the 400, as are Ponting, Hayden and Kallis ... and Lara can do it again :cool:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sadly, I think the 401 will come up fairly soon...
With the likes of Hondo, Mahwire and Nkala spearheading a future Zimbabwe attack, I dont think it will be very long before the record is broken...

Newlands

Cricket Spectator
Thinking about it. If Graeme Smith had not been made Captain last year I think he may have been able to concentrate on his batting more and perhaps he would have been in serious contention for smashing Brian Lara's original record.
However, as much as I would love him to prove me completely wrong, I don't think the SA skipper is going to do it soon. As I've said already in an earlier post, if he's going to do it then it's going to be later in his career.
I can't think of an Englishman who'll do it at the moment, as sad as I am to say that.
Someone mentioned Jacques Kallis and yes, I would agree he is a contender. he has the patience and the shots.
:cool:

Beleg

International Regular
Regarding Inzy, I think he has the patience, and the ability to score quickly. And who knows what might happen if we get to play a team on Pakistan flattops in summer in the near future. [A repeat of Lahore 2002] But IMO, he bats too low in the order.
Oh and Kallis is an excellent contender too.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Beleg said:
Regarding Inzy, I think he has the patience, and the ability to score quickly. And who knows what might happen if we get to play a team on Pakistan flattops in summer in the near future. [A repeat of Lahore 2002] But IMO, he bats too low in the order.
Oh and Kallis is an excellent contender too.
4 is too low? It seems perfect to me.

Beleg

International Regular
I'd place my best batter at 3 or even open with him since he IMO [And Imran Khan's] is perhaps the best Pakistani player of Fast bowling.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Beleg said:
I'd place my best batter at 3 or even open with him since he IMO [And Imran Khan's] is perhaps the best Pakistani player of Fast bowling.
3 I could see, but opening? Inzamam seems like the kind of player who will destroy the opposition attack if he comes in when the ball's well broken-in and they're a little tired and gasping for air. Opening might be a little difficult, and is so risky. But Inzamam seems so comfortable at 4, why toy with that?

Beleg

International Regular
Inzamam's average at 1&2 is better then 3 and 4. Besides he has scored 2 centuries on that position in 12 matches, which is a far better % compared to 3 & 4th position.

But there isn't much to choose between his averages at the first four position, so I guess his average doesn't matter.
My point is that you need your teams best batter to play within the first three, specially when you don't have hoard of great, proven batters. [Like India]. Besides playing at 1 & 2 will also comment upon Inzy's personal greatness, since he will be facing relatively hostile circustances. At 2 down, often a lost of responisbility falls upon his shoulders, which stops him from scoring freely, which IMO is a disgrace, since he is one of the best strokemakers that I have seen. My opinion: play him at opening or 3 and let him play his real game.

Craig

World Traveller
Eclipse said:
If Martyn decided to play in his seldom seen aggresive mood he could be a big show as well.

Anyone remember his 238 of 150 odd balls. He is actualy an extreamly clean striker of the ball when he feels like it.
And that 90-odd off something like 45-50 balls v Bangladesh in Cairns.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
And that 90-odd off something like 45-50 balls v Bangladesh in Cairns.
Yep and his 50 off 22 balls second fastest ever by an aussie.

He also smashed 30 runs of one over against Sean Ervine late last year.

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lions81 said:
Aside from the obvious choices to break Lara's 400 (Smith, Hayden, Sehwag, Agarkar), one possibility who comes to mind is Nathan Astle. He scored a double century in less than that many balls if I recall correctly, or at least had a greater than 100% strike rate. Maybe he's dropped off since then, but if he can recapture that kind of form, why not.
How the hell is Ajit Agarkar suppossed to score 400 not out then it would be definitely be fixed because he bats far too low in the order and his average is below 20

anzac

International Debutant
well done Lara.......... :surprise:

I wouldn't have picked it coming with the series he's had so far..............
as much as I like Hayden I must admit to feeling a bit better about the record belonging to one of the recognised 'greats' of his era..............

I agree with most that the current situation re Zimbabwe etc could see the record beaten sooner rather than later, but a lot still depends upon the circumstances of the match / series / strategies etc...as I don't see too many teams wanting to bat much past 600 too often.....

IMO the batsman need to be in the top 4 to have any chance, need to be in fairly early & have the best use of the wicket - facing a seam attack would help to play shots as opposed to facing a spin attack..........

the team batting lineup also needs to be able to provide adequate support for aninnings of such length..........

funnily enough IMO the Kiwi batsman with the 'best' temperament to get close is a guy who can't get in the team - Sinclair.........he has an appetite for BIG scores once he gets past 50..........

:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
rolande said:
How the hell is Ajit Agarkar suppossed to score 400 not out then it would be definitely be fixed because he bats far too low in the order and his average is below 20
April fool - oh, wait.
Here - have Chris Gayle's very own emoticon... :oops: