• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What attracted you to cricket?

Craig

World Traveller
Ok for me, cricket just doesnt run in the Walsh family (my surname). In fact I am the only one who likes it. My dad knows who a few players are (ie SRT, Ganguly, Chris & Lance Cairns), but that is about that.

I would say Aravinda de Silva is the reason why I like the sport. When growing up in NZ< my dad one day switched the TV channel and de Silva who was playing for Auckland made a 100 v Canterbury and that got me hooked (96/97 season). Previously I couldnt care less about the sport, and gradually sported to watch it and learn a few things about it.

Until the 1999 WC it was then when I really did get a grip and a true following of the sport and an understanding of it all and basically learnt the rules with the help of watching it and forcing myself to read books on it to get an understanding.

And I guess you can say the rest is history and in that time I like to think I have learnt a thing or two about cricket.

You?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
I really have no idea. I've been born and brought up in the U.S., and though my parents are from India, I never was really exposed to it at all, but for some reason, when I went there a few years back, I really enjoyed the matches I saw and I've slowly become increasingly interested in it. Whenever I speak to people who are normally cricket fans (i.e., people directly from India, Pakistan, England, Australia, etc.) they are all shocked that I would know anything at all about cricket, and are quickly shocked at just how much I know, but for me, it's always just been a really fun sport.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
And also, since I saw my first fast bowler in action (which I think may have been Javagal Srinath) I decided that fast bowling is the coolest thing on the planet! :cool:

Pradeep

Cricket Spectator
For me, it was during the WC 1996, the Ind-Pak QF to be specific, when I was attracted to the game. Though I dont really know all the technical stuff about the game, I still enjoy watching it.

By the way, my first post this! Hi All!

Sehwag309

Banned
Sitting in the TV Lounge of Hosta Hotel School in Switzerland. It was the 96 WC, and the Dean had put specific orders that only Cricket will be allowed in TV lounge during play as he was Englishmen. I wasn't interested in cricket that much but coz my fellow Indians/Pakistanis were watching, so I joined in.

Then My friend Usman from Lahore said "Sachin is the only and best player in Indian team, rest are all %^*&*&", laughed another Pakistani friend who was sitting besides. I don't know if it was the insult I felt, I guess when you are outside India and are with other cultures, u sorta represent your country.

That was it, I watched India beat Pakistan in QF of that game, and ever since stuck to it ( and a Huge tendulkar fan ).

When I came back to India, my friends were surprised to see a person who was confused previously as to why have the fielders change positions instead of the batsmen after an over change. ( well u never change sides when u playing on narrow streets of mumbai)

I personally enjoy Test Cricket more than ODI's

Last edited:

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
watching pakistan play australia "A" on tv in the aussie summer of '96 watched it in hospital after i had a severe asthma attack left hospital 6 weeks later with asthma medication and hooked on cricket played and watched it ever since

V Reddy

International Debutant
Cricket was the only sport i knew when i was young and all my friends used to play it and so no choice but to play it . I was a cricket fanatic till recently. I used to cry to not to go to school even during a Zim Vs SL type game :laugh: . Now i am much more into different kind of sports than just Cricket

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The same as anyone.

Fame, money, glamour, travel, ***....

Seriously, 1965, Kent v South Africans. Graeme Pollock, undefeated double century.
Say no mere.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
My family are big sports nuts and so I never watched it when I was younger, but then I was in hospital for 2 weeks after having surgery and watched some matches and was hooked. Damien hooked me :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
My family are big sports nuts and so I never watched it when I was younger, but then I was in hospital for 2 weeks after having surgery and watched some matches and was hooked. Damien hooked me :D
Come on, Linda, admit it. It was Merv Hughes's manly moustache and physique. :D

Linda

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Come on, Linda, admit it. It was Merv Hughes's manly moustache and physique. :D
As much as a gorilla with strange facial grooming habits is incredibly attractive to me, can't say he was the clincher..

bennyr

U19 12th Man
One Day Internationals at the SCG with my dad in the early eighties, and monumental backyard games involving leather balls and many, many broken windows.

Craig said:
Translation?
No :)

I wanted to express my opinion, but the last time I said something similar a mod yelled at me.

But if anyone's desperate enough they can check what I said somewhere else :P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which is well and good being a smartarse, but don't the forum rules state one should post in English?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Which is well and good being a smartarse, but don't the forum rules state one should post in English?
Don't worry, some of those "Japanese" words aren't even real words, such as suredo or negatteru. So Gaijin-san means to say something that he realizes that this should be controlled or that this sort of thing must be controlled but his English translation of Japanese is not too good. Well actually, they are real words, but... :p

Lions81 said:
Don't worry, some of those "Japanese" words aren't even real words, such as suredo or negatteru. So Gaijin-san means to say something that he realizes that this should be controlled or that this sort of thing must be controlled but his English translation of Japanese is not too good. Well actually, they are real words, but... :p
Lions81, I have created a separate thread for this because I wish not to hijack the thread. Anyone else is also welcome if they'd like to learn :laugh:

I'll run you into the ground.

Kantoku wa kono suredo wo shimeru no negatteru