Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe thread

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar

Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe thread

This is of course assuming that Zimbabwe have a team come Wednesday or even now.

I see that Chris Broad was down to referee this series, but was switched after complaints...

What grounds would those complaints have if the doosra is proven to be illegal?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    This is of course assuming that Zimbabwe have a team come Wednesday or even now.

I see that Chris Broad was down to referee this series, but was switched after complaints...

What grounds would those complaints have if the doosra is proven to be illegal?
    Zimbabwe will have a team - what it looks like is open to debate, of course.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek but naturally, if the doosra is determined to be illegal, the testing will have to be done all over again until they get it right, and Chris Broad will be quietly forgotten about. If it's found to be legal then Chris Broad will be publicly humiliated, hung out to dry and most definitely not quietly forgotten about.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Zimbabwe will have a team - what it looks like is open to debate, of course.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek but naturally, if the doosra is determined to be illegal, the testing will have to be done all over again until they get it right, and Chris Broad will be quietly forgotten about. If it's found to be legal then Chris Broad will be publicly humiliated, hung out to dry and most definitely not quietly forgotten about.
    And will never ever be a match referee ever again at international level.

Sometimes I guess it is best to keep shut because of politics
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Why should he?

As I said at the time, he must have been fairly confident that there was something wrong to have even suggested it, after the furore surrounding that particular bowler and also considering that this was his first series as a referee.

I'm now waiting for Arjuna to complain that the Zimbabwean cricketers are deliberately trying to bring the ZCU down so that there's no series and then Warne can be the first to overtake Walsh...

Why should he?

As I said at the time, he must have been fairly confident that there was something wrong to have even suggested it, after the furore surrounding that particular bowler and also considering that this was his first series as a referee.
    I was being sarcastic.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Why should he?

My guess is that there just MIGHT be a hidden agenda here - one for the conspiracy theorists - but the opposite way round to the way that the 'Stitching Murali up so that Warne can have the world record unopposed' brigade might think.

The rumblings have gone on for too long. As soon as ther rumours about Murali's 'mystery ball' started surfacing, the 'it's a chuck' counter-rumours appeared. Difficult for an established match referee like Proctor to be expected to put his own reputation on the line by raising doubts, and of course Ranjan Madugalle's out - so why not a new one?

Chris Broad fits the bill nicely. If he's wrong, he can be safely discarded before he has much of a reputation as a referee. If he's right - well, the fresh pair of eyes have picked up the problem and his reputation is enhanced accordingly.

No-lose situation for the ICC.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    i believe the doosra is a throw but the offie is fine to me. maybe murali changed his doosra action for the cameras
    He died for me so I live for Him...

Matthew 17:20

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you

www.cricsim.com come join cricsim it's prince's forum
    www.battrick.org the gun
    www.myspace.com/djrolyh my dj myspace

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by rolande
    maybe murali changed his doosra action for the cameras
    Bruce Yardley (former Australian offspinner) was appointed to make sure Murali bowled the same doosra during the tests as he did in the Test series. Both Yardley and Elliot were satisfied that Murali's action was consistent.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Well, the series actually starts in 5 days, and the first Zimbabwean side will set the Fantasy Cricket organisers into a panic - can anyone help us classify these players?!

Tatenda Taibu (capt and wk), Dion Ebrahim, Vusimuzi Sibanda, Elton Chigumbura, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Alester Maregwede, Mluleki Nkala, Waddington Mwayenga, Brendon Taylor, Douglas Hondo, Prosper Utseya, Tawanda Mpariwa, Edward Rainsford, Tinashe Panyangara.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    this series is just going to be a joke...and not very funny either
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Pinball Champion!
    can anyone help us classify these players?!
    Poor?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Try looking on the Zimbabwe Cricinfo pages, they have the records of everyone who has played 1st class in Zimbabwe.

Tinashe Panganyara: was the star at the u19 world cup. He's played 1 first class game. He scored 1 run, and took 5-71 from 28 overs He bowls RFMs.

Prosper Utesya has played 11 1st class games for Mashonaland A. He has a batting average of 13 and a bowling average of 44. If he's getting figures like that in the Logan Cup then he wouldn't even be playing Minor Counties. He bowls offbreaks

Tawanda Mpariwa has played 6 1st class games. His batting average is 15, his bowling average 28 with 14 wickets, he's an RFM

Edward Rainsford has played 10 matches. His batting average is 10, his bowling average is 25 . He bowls RFMs

Brendon Taylor is a batsman. His batting average in first-class is 27. He keeps wicket and I think he got a big hundred at the u19 World Cup.

Elton Chigumbura is a batsman with an average of 25.

Those are the players I think most people, including myself, have never heard of. I used to be a Zimbabwe fan but I'm through with them now. It's gone past the stage where you can really support them as underdogs anymore. I reckon the sacked players should set up a "Real Zimababwe" XI and play tests in Sharjah, if only that were possible.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    Those are the players I think most people, including myself, have never heard of. I used to be a Zimbabwe fan but I'm through with them now. It's gone past the stage where you can really support them as underdogs anymore. I reckon the sacked players should set up a "Real Zimababwe" XI and play tests in Sharjah, if only that were possible.
    Yeh, me also... They havent been sacked yet though.. Hopefully their selection panel has been re-jigged and these guys will play for Zim again.. Not looking brilliant for them though

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    Try looking on the Zimbabwe Cricinfo pages, they have the records of everyone who has played 1st class in Zimbabwe.

Tinashe Panganyara: was the star at the u19 world cup. He's played 1 first class game. He scored 1 run, and took 5-71 from 28 overs He bowls RFMs.

Prosper Utesya has played 11 1st class games for Mashonaland A. He has a batting average of 13 and a bowling average of 44. If he's getting figures like that in the Logan Cup then he wouldn't even be playing Minor Counties. He bowls offbreaks

Tawanda Mpariwa has played 6 1st class games. His batting average is 15, his bowling average 28 with 14 wickets, he's an RFM

Edward Rainsford has played 10 matches. His batting average is 10, his bowling average is 25 . He bowls RFMs

Brendon Taylor is a batsman. His batting average in first-class is 27. He keeps wicket and I think he got a big hundred at the u19 World Cup.

Elton Chigumbura is a batsman with an average of 25.

Chigumbura also bowls medium-pacers and had a strong U19 world-cup. I'd class him as an all-rounder.

Alester Maregwede will be back-up keeper (and keep whilst Taibu bowls, I guess), Waddington Mwayenga is a reasonably experienced (by Zim standards) seamer. They're all going to get a horrible baptism of fire through Murali and Vaas.

I'd back Sanath and Kalu to have a lot of fun opening the innings, too.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information