• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This is of course assuming that Zimbabwe have a team come Wednesday or even now.

I see that Chris Broad was down to referee this series, but was switched after complaints...

What grounds would those complaints have if the doosra is proven to be illegal?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
This is of course assuming that Zimbabwe have a team come Wednesday or even now.

I see that Chris Broad was down to referee this series, but was switched after complaints...

What grounds would those complaints have if the doosra is proven to be illegal?
Zimbabwe will have a team - what it looks like is open to debate, of course.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek but naturally, if the doosra is determined to be illegal, the testing will have to be done all over again until they get it right, and Chris Broad will be quietly forgotten about. If it's found to be legal then Chris Broad will be publicly humiliated, hung out to dry and most definitely not quietly forgotten about.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Zimbabwe will have a team - what it looks like is open to debate, of course.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek but naturally, if the doosra is determined to be illegal, the testing will have to be done all over again until they get it right, and Chris Broad will be quietly forgotten about. If it's found to be legal then Chris Broad will be publicly humiliated, hung out to dry and most definitely not quietly forgotten about.
And will never ever be a match referee ever again at international level.

Sometimes I guess it is best to keep shut because of politics 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why should he?

As I said at the time, he must have been fairly confident that there was something wrong to have even suggested it, after the furore surrounding that particular bowler and also considering that this was his first series as a referee.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm now waiting for Arjuna to complain that the Zimbabwean cricketers are deliberately trying to bring the ZCU down so that there's no series and then Warne can be the first to overtake Walsh...

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Why should he?

As I said at the time, he must have been fairly confident that there was something wrong to have even suggested it, after the furore surrounding that particular bowler and also considering that this was his first series as a referee.
I was being sarcastic.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Why should he?

My guess is that there just MIGHT be a hidden agenda here - one for the conspiracy theorists - but the opposite way round to the way that the 'Stitching Murali up so that Warne can have the world record unopposed' brigade might think.

The rumblings have gone on for too long. As soon as ther rumours about Murali's 'mystery ball' started surfacing, the 'it's a chuck' counter-rumours appeared. Difficult for an established match referee like Proctor to be expected to put his own reputation on the line by raising doubts, and of course Ranjan Madugalle's out - so why not a new one?

Chris Broad fits the bill nicely. If he's wrong, he can be safely discarded before he has much of a reputation as a referee. If he's right - well, the fresh pair of eyes have picked up the problem and his reputation is enhanced accordingly.

No-lose situation for the ICC.

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
i believe the doosra is a throw but the offie is fine to me. maybe murali changed his doosra action for the cameras

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
rolande said:
maybe murali changed his doosra action for the cameras
Bruce Yardley (former Australian offspinner) was appointed to make sure Murali bowled the same doosra during the tests as he did in the Test series. Both Yardley and Elliot were satisfied that Murali's action was consistent.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, the series actually starts in 5 days, and the first Zimbabwean side will set the Fantasy Cricket organisers into a panic - can anyone help us classify these players?!

Tatenda Taibu (capt and wk), Dion Ebrahim, Vusimuzi Sibanda, Elton Chigumbura, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Alester Maregwede, Mluleki Nkala, Waddington Mwayenga, Brendon Taylor, Douglas Hondo, Prosper Utseya, Tawanda Mpariwa, Edward Rainsford, Tinashe Panyangara.

Chubb

International Regular
Try looking on the Zimbabwe Cricinfo pages, they have the records of everyone who has played 1st class in Zimbabwe.

Tinashe Panganyara: was the star at the u19 world cup. He's played 1 first class game. He scored 1 run, and took 5-71 from 28 overs He bowls RFMs.

Prosper Utesya has played 11 1st class games for Mashonaland A. He has a batting average of 13 and a bowling average of 44. If he's getting figures like that in the Logan Cup then he wouldn't even be playing Minor Counties. He bowls offbreaks

Tawanda Mpariwa has played 6 1st class games. His batting average is 15, his bowling average 28 with 14 wickets, he's an RFM

Edward Rainsford has played 10 matches. His batting average is 10, his bowling average is 25 . He bowls RFMs

Brendon Taylor is a batsman. His batting average in first-class is 27. He keeps wicket and I think he got a big hundred at the u19 World Cup.

Elton Chigumbura is a batsman with an average of 25.

Those are the players I think most people, including myself, have never heard of. I used to be a Zimbabwe fan but I'm through with them now. It's gone past the stage where you can really support them as underdogs anymore. I reckon the sacked players should set up a "Real Zimababwe" XI and play tests in Sharjah, if only that were possible.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Chubb said:
Those are the players I think most people, including myself, have never heard of. I used to be a Zimbabwe fan but I'm through with them now. It's gone past the stage where you can really support them as underdogs anymore. I reckon the sacked players should set up a "Real Zimababwe" XI and play tests in Sharjah, if only that were possible.
Yeh, me also... They havent been sacked yet though.. Hopefully their selection panel has been re-jigged and these guys will play for Zim again.. Not looking brilliant for them though :@

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Chubb said:
Try looking on the Zimbabwe Cricinfo pages, they have the records of everyone who has played 1st class in Zimbabwe.

Tinashe Panganyara: was the star at the u19 world cup. He's played 1 first class game. He scored 1 run, and took 5-71 from 28 overs He bowls RFMs.

Prosper Utesya has played 11 1st class games for Mashonaland A. He has a batting average of 13 and a bowling average of 44. If he's getting figures like that in the Logan Cup then he wouldn't even be playing Minor Counties. He bowls offbreaks

Tawanda Mpariwa has played 6 1st class games. His batting average is 15, his bowling average 28 with 14 wickets, he's an RFM

Edward Rainsford has played 10 matches. His batting average is 10, his bowling average is 25 . He bowls RFMs

Brendon Taylor is a batsman. His batting average in first-class is 27. He keeps wicket and I think he got a big hundred at the u19 World Cup.

Elton Chigumbura is a batsman with an average of 25.

Chigumbura also bowls medium-pacers and had a strong U19 world-cup. I'd class him as an all-rounder.

Alester Maregwede will be back-up keeper (and keep whilst Taibu bowls, I guess), Waddington Mwayenga is a reasonably experienced (by Zim standards) seamer. They're all going to get a horrible baptism of fire through Murali and Vaas.

I'd back Sanath and Kalu to have a lot of fun opening the innings, too.

Swervy

International Captain
its going to be ridiculous.....these matches shouldnt in my opinion be counted as tests,and if they werent classed as tests (because they arent a test class side,are probably barely first class to be honest...ok maybe being a tad harsh there),well that would be the end of Zimbabwe on an international cricketing front until things change over there...which I think would be a good thing.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Anyone care to take a guess at how many runs Sri Lanka will win by in the strongest victory (where they bat first)?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
Anyone care to take a guess at how many runs Sri Lanka will win by in the strongest victory (where they bat first)?
I'd go for an innings and 200. Anything more would be risking the weather.

Then again, Kenya beat them (Sri Lanka) in WC2003

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
What about ODI's? I still think Kenya should get a shot at being a test nation sometimes.
yes if 2 non competitive test nations werent enough.
but yes kenya deserve test status more than bangladesh did and i would prefer a sort of relegation system with the worst team in the ICC championship table every year being relegated and the best team from tear 2 coming up to take their place. but the icc looking to try to globalise test cricket i dont think they would do that.