• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe thread

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Still can hardly believe this match is going ahead...

The teams:
Zimbabwe
V Sibanda, BRM Taylor, E Chigumbura, *T Taibu, +A Maregwede, DT Hondo, DD Ebrahim, S Matsikenyeri, T Panyangara, ML Nkala, P Utseya.

Sri Lanka
*MS Atapattu, DPMD Jayawardene, ST Jayasuriya, +KC Sangakkara, TM Dilshan, RP Arnold, KMDN Kulasekara, M Muralitharan, WPUJC Vaas, DNT Zoysa, UDU Chandana.

The good news (the way I see it) is that SL won the toss and sent Zimbabwe in, so at least there will be no batting records set today.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The experienced Sibanda out for 0.

Zimbabwe 1/1...whats the bet Taylor gets out for 0 & the blame for the loss is left entirely on him.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
And so it starts...

1.6 Zoysa to Sibanda, OUT: lovely delivary out side the off stump,
angling across the batsman. Goes for a drive out side the off
stumps and gives away a faintish out side edge to Sangakkara
behind the stump

Zimbabwe 1/1, Partnership of 1
V Sibanda c Sangakkara b Zoysa 0 (9b 0x4 0x6)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
The experienced Sibanda out for 0.

Zimbabwe 1/1...whats the bet Taylor gets out for 0 & the blame for the loss is left entirely on him.
A pretty good bet. Bowled by Vaas for 0. 2/2

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well all the pressure is on Taibu now (like it wasn't already)...otherwise this Zimbabwe U19 side is going to be seriously smashed.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
This Zimbabwe team has 222 odi matches between them. Taibu and Ebrahim account for more than half of them. Interestingly, Maregwede is down as the 'keeper for Zimbabwe, which suggests to me that Taibu will be having a bowl.

Hondo is due to bat at 6...

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Currently 33-2 - the debutant Kulasekara has just been blasted for 3 successive fours by Taibu.
He played a couple of matches against Australia I think. Vaas with 8 runs off 7 overs.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Ebrahim out, Chigumbura in. 3/64, Taibu on 28, Chigumbura 13, they may yet manage to get a decent score.

Perhaps not, Chigumbura out now for 13. Zoysa gets his 3rd, 4/66.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Matsikenyeri out to the doosra for 6. Taibu still doing a good job, 43* out of 5/88.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
End of Maregwede though. c Dilshan b Chandana for 37 off 44, including a 6 off one M. Muralitharan. 200 remains a possibility, though I imagine most people will be surprised that Zimbabwe have managed at least 150.

Taibu's highest ODI score - 76* (133)

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adamc said:
End of Maregwede though. c Dilshan b Chandana for 37 off 44, including a 6 off one M. Muralitharan. 200 remains a possibility, though I imagine most people will be surprised that Zimbabwe have managed at least 150.
Yup.

I've just been reading some of the garbage which has been written about this series, how a certain county's under-19's would do better.

Whatever the politics behind the selections, and I maintain that the situation is indefensible, these are still first-class cricketers with pride, not the bunch of village idiots some would have us believe.

Who knows? They might even be able to give England a game, going by recent history. Sri Lanka are not the world's best by any means - yet they destroyed England less than a year after being stitched up by Kenya.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Remarkable, Zimbabwe up to 200 now. Taibu on strike on 94*, 4 balls to go, certainly deserves a century.

Didn't happen unfortunately, 96* out of 6/211 in the end, great knock in any case. A handy innings from Nkala too - 33* off 22, including two sixes off Murali in the last over. Zimbabwe certainly have something to defend, whether they have the bowlers to defend it is another matter. Still, they have exceeded expectations and should be suitably proud, regardless of what happens off-field.

Last edited: